Amp is 4Ohm, speakers are 3Ohm nominal. What is the result?

Participant count
  • Participant list

yacoub
10+ year member

US
Are the speakers given more power than what the amp is rated as giving at 4Ohm since the speakers are only 3Ohm?

Is the amp overdriven by doing that? Is it running hotter that way?

Trying to figure out what happens when the speakers are less resistant/impedent than the amp. Thanks.

With most amps, you will get more power. It will also probably run a little bit warmer but with a quality amp you won't really notice it. Just make sure your amp is stable at 3ohms.

I've heard of some people running their HU's amp down to 2ohms and had no problems. Depends on the HU I guess.

Don't want an outboard amp right now; will get one later. Just installing the headunit and speakers for now, not at all concerned how they sound, just that they work. Want to make sure 3Ohm nominal speakers can be powered by the HU which lists its power output at 4Ohm, without causing any undue stress to the HU.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069882_291159496,00.html

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14&family_id=20&product_id=296

You are committing a sin by running the pros off the HU //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Have mercy on your soul

Yeah yeah, temporary situation. Just want to make sure it won't hurt my HU. I might end up with a different set of speakers anyway and not get the Pros, but they are an example of 3Ohm.

Are the speakers given more power than what the amp is rated as giving at 4Ohm since the speakers are only 3Ohm?Is the amp overdriven by doing that? Is it running hotter that way?

Trying to figure out what happens when the speakers are less resistant/impedent than the amp. Thanks.
rule of thumb, subwoofers and speakers don't give out anything, all they have are resistance coils in them, the amp gives the power, unless you have more than positive and negative speaker wires running to that sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

the amp may run warmer, or in your case, head unit, but it shouldn't be a problem unless you go around listening to it at full blast all day long, then things tend to get HOT.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.