Any advice?

jfr1122
10+ year member

Bexley
I have a 2002 Passat with a double DIN factory HU and I'm looking to upgrade. I've narrowed it down to the Alpine 9886 (not the 9887 because it seems like it needs a ton of extras to work properly) and the Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT. I'm leaning towards the P800BT because it would look better in the double DIN opening, it has a higher preamp voltage, and a greater power output.

I'm still new to car audio so does anyone with more experience than me have any input? Anything else I should consider? My budget is $400 or so and I dont care about bluetooth or HD radio. I would like an iPod friendly system.

Just an fyi, the 9887 does not need a lot to run properly, it just has options for the imprint software which most people don't get along with Bluetooth for extra $$$. If your looking at the 9886 than just step up and get the 9887, otherwise look elsewhere.

The Pioneer is the better of the two. The 9887 is better than either.

Curious about your 'too much work' comment. What exactly does this mean? Subtract imprint and don't use the active capabilities on the 9887 and you're looking at about the same work to tweak it to perfection as on the Pioneer: Set gain, high and low pass filter, tweak the EQ (5 band parametric or 7 band graphic on the 9887, or 7 band graphic on the pioneer.

If you're not using the more advanced features of the 9887, it's not rocket science at all in comparason. But for a similar price you will have much more available for when you want to expand your system and get more serious, and will be unlikely to have to replace your head unit when you do.

In comparison to these two, the 9886 is nothing without IMPRINT. 2 band graphic EQ with subwoofer controls and basic crossovers. Buy it if that is all you want but if you want more than that might as well get the 9887 for a similar price to the Pioneer.

without imprint you may as well get the 800 it is better if you are not using the imprint.
not only is the imprint not needed with the 9887 it is useless. everything that the imprint can do, other than auto-tuning, is already available on the 9887. i have never seen auto tuning do a better job than a person.

OP, not sure why you are worried about pre-out voltage and onboard power specs, unless for some reason you are going to use them all at the same time. usually it is one or the other. based on what you have said i suggest you go with the pioneer. it will fill the gap nicely, it is ipod friendly with no additional cables needed and it has some extras that you will grow to enjoy like bt.

Thanks all for the advice. I really don't know a whole lot about this stuff so I guess I was comparing the wrong things. I was under the under the impression that the 9887 needed software to make it usable. I guess that I don't need that so it seems like my best option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.