Audio Companies cutting back...??

HCCA
10+ year member

Slayer of Libs
I have noticed a trend, lately. Boston Acoustics has dropped their car audio line. JBL has dropped their top line speaker model, as well as a couple other models. And, there are other examples. I'm sure the lousy economy has something to do with it. But, my question is this, are we going to have a much smaller field to choose from, in the near term? Are the better speakers getting cheaper, or are we seeing the manufacturers abandoning their $1000+ speaker? And, what are the better choices, in speakers...right now?

True, we still have HAT, Focal, Rainbow, etc...but...are they to follow this trend, soon, also? Discuss...

I've noticed it too. Speakers like the Infinity Kappa Perfect and the entire BA line were excellent equipment imo and affordable. I mention these cause they're 2 of my favorites. It sucks. Seems like it's mainly SQ companies too. There's always excellent, albeit expensive, SPL speakers but the SQ stuff seems to be dying. There is stuff available. Don't get me wrong but it's not affordable. I would imagine if the economy ever gets back to what it was pre-Obama some of this stuff will find it's way back. It's going to be a few years though unfortunately.

Well, I would respond to your faulty assessment, but this ain't the Thunderdome. I'll join you on the subject, there, if you like. But, I would like to keep this thread on topic, please.

High end speakers will always be around. The demand for better car audio is not going to end, even as we see new vehicles coming with better equipment and better DSP than ever. I think we're going to see the $1,000+ sets become a smaller niche as aftermarket DSP becomes cheaper and more prevalent. Auto-tune equalizers can do a lot to make a good set of speakers sound incredible, given the installation is handled properly.

Some companies currently serving and developing for the high end speaker market include CDT, HAT, Illusion, Phoenix Gold, Focal, DLS, Dynaudio, and others I'm probably forgetting to credit. High end doesn't necessarily mean 4 figure price tags, unless you look at MSRP.

Well, I would respond to your faulty assessment, but this ain't the Thunderdome. I'll join you on the subject, there, if you like. But, I would like to keep this thread on topic, please.
No need to take it any further. It started a steep decline after 9/11 when we went to the Persian gulf to find Osama but ended up in a full scale war with Iraq, over some weapons they never even had. But GW got the man his father couldn't, proved a point I guess. Now Obama is trying to get us back home but the Force comanders are war mongers with to much backing. I've worked military logistics about the nations largest asset for about 10 years. I've personally experienced the change on a level most civilians never knew exsisted.

part of the reason companies are dropping lines or dropping out all together isn't b/c there aren't customers it's b/c there is no money to be made is product sales. there are too many companies out there with little mark up on products. all the companies in CA are in it to make money. grant it, some are more passionate about the quality of the product but if you are not making money it doesn't matter. When i first got into CA there was tons of money to made on just selling products, now there just isn't that type of room b/c some companies think that cutting the price will result in more sales. everyone hates on companies that charge like JL, RF, Kicker, etc... but those companies all have quality products. there are too many customers that want everything at cost or free and than try to do there on install. all the guys around my age and older talk about how products back then are better. no it's just that customers were willing to pay out for installs and products so companies were not trying to cut as many corners. products have actually gotten better over that same time, better materials, smaller sizes with more power, more efficient, etc.... A few years back Panasonic and Eclipse dropped out completely, it wasn't b/c there products were not good it was simply b/c they refused to make the same products and cut there throats on price to remain somewhat competitive. installers get paid nothing now so the quality installers that charge a fair price are considered gougers. look at how installers are interviewed and trained. everyone talks bad about the installers at BB but they are trained very well, just they make bad decisions during the interview process b/c they are worried about there corporate image. I personally know the BBGK district manager down here and I've seen the training these guys go through. It's actually really good training, the problem lays in the persons hands that they refuse to learn and don't try to study the MECP information. I am one of those few that believe that MECP certification does mean something especially if you're Advanced certified. ask some of the guys on here that are MECP certified, how relevant the information is? it's very relevant just depends on the person learning it. All these uncertified installers or installers that are "Joe Schmoe" off the street install products incorrectly or there install causes problems, just causes more headaches for the manufacturer as well. Glance at alarms and remote starts, 99% of guys on forums talk bad about the installers at BB but those same guys go right to BB for that alarm or remote start install. Many manufacturers are now refusing warranty or service unless you have a store receipt from an Authorized retailer. Partly b/c they know that tons are there products are being moved on the internet by Non-Authorized retailers and they don't want to lose that money on warranty or flooding the market with refurbished products. Maxxsonics gets tons of product sold on the internet and they refuse all warranty or service on any line unless you now have a store front receipt that they verify if they are an Authorized Retailer.

Products are getting better and cost are coming down. Consumers and Shop owners are killing manufacturers.

Now Obama is trying to get us back home....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

I'm sure in between all the vacations he's "working" tirelessly to that end.

Same **** different pile.

OP isn't talking about traditionally CA companies, but companies who have probably far more profitable product lines on which to focus. People who care about SQ run active and buy raw drivers.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

I'm sure in between all the vacations he's "working" tirelessly to that end.

Same **** different pile.

OP isn't talking about traditionally CA companies, but companies who have probably far more profitable product lines on which to focus. People who care about SQ run active and buy raw drivers.
Something that effects me and thousands others. The carrier presence has shrunk.

Have no fear. We'll have a new war just as soon as they can convince the American people that some new scary brown people hate our freedom.
No need to take it any further. Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. or Against Americans | Infoplease.com

That doesn't include Iranian and N. Korea nuclear programs. Brown (or any color for that matter) nut jobs with nuclear bombs are scary. Yes, I know it's Bush's fault, I'm almost certain he had something to do with Benghazi, the Libyan conflict and the rising cost of audio. We can keep our heads buried in the sand doing nothing and not learn anything that history has taught us. As far as the economy goes, there will be good times and bad times. I've had to wait to buy gas in long lines, on even or odd days, by the half gallon, thanks to Jimmy Carter and I survived.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.