Audio gods, I need your help

Okay, so I pulled the head unit and replaced the RCAs just as a precaution and checked everything from front to back and there are no cuts, breaks or loose connections in any of the wires. I hooked everything back up and noticed the power light on the amp would flicker off from time to time. The amp has a warning light on it; green=clipping, red=protect. When the power light starts flickering off the interior lights also flicker as if it's killing some major voltage. The warning light stays on green (clipping) the entire time it's on and the light changes to red (protect) when the lights start flickering. Pulled the cover off the amp and it doesn't smell burned at all. After hooking everything back up, the sub would hardly play at all. It got very warm very fast so I killed it. I then pulled the sub from the box and it was smoking. I have an old RF amp lying around so I hooked it up and the power light never flickered on it at all. I don't know WTF is going on but it's now beginning to drive me f ing crazy. I really need some guidance on this so please help.

take off the rca's and see if it still pops i have seen rca's to close to a hot tail pipe ground to body and pick up funny stuff....if you pull amp turn on and rca's off and nothing....then amps ok( well 99% of the time) then put turn on back...if it good then rca's. i have had hu like the pioneer that ground went bad on them and make all kinda stuff happen...no audio god but been around 17+ years so not a novice

take off the rca's and see if it still pops i have seen rca's to close to a hot tail pipe ground to body and pick up funny stuff....if you pull amp turn on and rca's off and nothing....then amps ok( well 99% of the time) then put turn on back...if it good then rca's. i have had hu like the pioneer that ground went bad on them and make all kinda stuff happen...no audio god but been around 17+ years so not a novice
Was kinda wondering if it could be the head unit. I opted for a cheap unheard of version (Brand-X) and haven't liked it since the day I got it. Just not in the budget right now for a new one.

na it sould really be ur ground wire if u did move it to a better sopt and u still got it maby ur amp is goin but that amp shouldent go if it was ur subs it would ether make a scratchy sound or would be stuck in or out or just plain not move whats happening witht them sticking is u have a signal telling it to stay in or out it could very well be ur head unit rca are bad what head unuit do u have

Tried connecting the amp to 2 old JLs today. I know these subs play and it made some crackling noises and the no sound at all. Now the JLs won't play on anything. Really starting to believe it's the amp. Bad thing is, I don't know how to check it or better yet, how to get it repaired.

If the JL are destroyed. The amp could have gone DC on you, if this is the case the amp will destroy every set of speakers you hook-up.

I would check the Re sub with a DMM and the JL's. If they are both done then it would lead me to believe your amp may have gone DC.

If the RF amp hooked up in the vehilce on a set of subs is working fine then it is your Treo amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.