Back into bass, got a weird problem.

So I figured out some things today. I found if I was pullin 500watts at 25/35 volume, at 30/35 the amp was putting out 1860watts! It went from 32volts to 61volts on the DMM in just 5 notches up. The amp is rated 1000 at 2 ohms. No wonder it was getting hot as hell.

So now I set it at 50volts at 30/35, which is about 1200watts, and obviously is not as loud as I thought it would be over a dual sealed setup. I'm convinced that either the cabin gain/loss in a large suv is causing this, or the 4th order boxes are not giving me the response shape that winisd is showing me and I dont know why. I can only guess the TS parameters of the subs are not correct.

Over 7cu/ft for 2 15's in a 4th order..........even if the ts parameters are wrong, they cant be that far off. How big do 4th's have to be for a couple of 15's???

This is all so tiresome.😞

I wired it down to 0.5 ohm again. I'm fighting the protection circuit lol. 💩

I tuned it like it was wired at 1 ohm because I don't think the amp will let you draw more current than output voltage, based on my previous experiences. Got it set to around 2500 watts at max HU volume and the motherfucker HITS! Sounds much cleaner than trying to push 1500-1800 watts musically at 2 ohms.

Question is, how long will it all last? :poop::poop::poop:

So I figured out some things today. I found if I was pullin 500watts at 25/35 volume, at 30/35 the amp was putting out 1860watts! It went from 32volts to 61volts on the DMM in just 5 notches up. The amp is rated 1000 at 2 ohms. No wonder it was getting hot as hell.

So now I set it at 50volts at 30/35, which is about 1200watts, and obviously is not as loud as I thought it would be over a dual sealed setup. I'm convinced that either the cabin gain/loss in a large suv is causing this, or the 4th order boxes are not giving me the response shape that winisd is showing me and I dont know why. I can only guess the TS parameters of the subs are not correct.

Over 7cu/ft for 2 15's in a 4th order..........even if the ts parameters are wrong, they cant be that far off. How big do 4th's have to be for a couple of 15's???

This is all so tiresome.😞

Depends on the 15’s, but you’re usually at like 9-10 cubes total net airspace minimum for car audio. Some pairs of 15’s can have 14+ net cubes easily. Bigger 12’s will use 7+ cubes net in a 4th BP for a pair.

I wired it down to 0.5 ohm again. I'm fighting the protection circuit lol. 💩

I tuned it like it was wired at 1 ohm because I don't think the amp will let you draw more current than output voltage, based on my previous experiences. Got it set to around 2500 watts at max HU volume and the motherfucker HITS! Sounds much cleaner than trying to push 1500-1800 watts musically at 2 ohms.

Question is, how long will it all last? :poop::poop::poop:
August 15th.. Id like to hear back if that amp is still working. It will be an interesting couple weeks

August 15th.. Id like to hear back if that amp is still working. It will be an interesting couple weeks

I was testing it earlier and it felt like the engine was going to shut off while driving. 😬

Amp didnt shut off, but it does get warmer faster. Anyway I'll just keep doing what my signature says. :poop:

It's fun being part of the half ohm club. 😁

I was testing it earlier and it felt like the engine was going to shut off while driving. 😬

Amp didnt shut off, but it does get warmer faster. Anyway I'll just keep doing what my signature says. :poop:

It's fun being part of the half ohm club. 😁
Ya man,, It will not be fun when you are sitting on the side of the road in this heat right now. Not a whole lot of people these days willing to help one out sitting on the side of the road. Nothing special about running at 0.05 ohms in my opinion as Ive generally have and always have had a decently large system. Ive even ran @2ohms that would ripple a car to death and make your eyes squint, and actually made you hurt when getting out of the vehicle as though your whole body just got beat to hell and drained, LOL. To each theyre own. As long as you are happy with it.. thats what counts the most man.LOL

Ya man,, It will not be fun when you are sitting on the side of the road in this heat right now. Not a whole lot of people these days willing to help one out sitting on the side of the road. Nothing special about running at 0.05 ohms in my opinion as Ive generally have and always have had a decently large system. Ive even ran @2ohms that would ripple a car to death and make your eyes squint, and actually made you hurt when getting out of the vehicle as though your whole body just got beat to hell and drained, LOL. To each theyre own. As long as you are happy with it.. thats what counts the most man.LOL
Sounds like you need some battery bank and maybe the Big3(Great investment on any vehicle to keep the Voltage up and help regulate) also if you havent done that yet. Big3 is an excellent $70-$100 bucks for 0ga investment, it can be removed and reused on the next vehicle majority of the time using OFC wiring

it's not rated at half but considering how large the amp is with the number of caps and transformers in it, I dont see why it shouldn't be able to put out what it's rated to do at 1 ohm, but at 0.5 ohm instead.

I can't figure this out. I saw around 31volts on the multimeter. At half ohm thats 2000watts. 🤔
Power is absurdly cheap these days and competition orgs with power limited classes clamp measure power real-time, there's absolutely no good reasons anymore to try to run low impedance.

Sounds like you need some battery bank and maybe the Big3(Great investment on any vehicle to keep the Voltage up and help regulate) also if you havent done that yet. Big3 is an excellent $70-$100 bucks for 0ga investment, it can be removed and reused on the next vehicle majority of the time using OFC wiring

I do have big three and also have three car batteries with 2/0ga cable, etc. I'll just have to be easy on that volume knob. I might need a bigger alternator.

Power is absurdly cheap these days and competition orgs with power limited classes clamp measure power real-time, there's absolutely no good reasons anymore to try to run low impedance.

It's just unfortunate that my subs I bought years ago were dual 2 ohm coils. You can only wire for 2 ohms or 0.5 ohm If you're wiring both subs. Otherwise I would be running at 1 ohm.

Big 3 kits DIY in about 1 hr with a hammer, punch and the concrete floor, and a cigarette lighter, with sockets or open end wrenches

I do have big three and also have three car batteries with 2/0ga cable, etc. I'll just have to be easy on that volume knob. I might need a bigger alternator.

It's just unfortunate that my subs I bought years ago were dual 2 ohm coils. You can only wire for 2 ohms or 0.5 ohm If you're wiring both subs. Otherwise I would be running at 1 ohm.
Just recommended some Big3 kits. Ya.. the largests stock alt I could get Local at the time was like a 140Al I got one so hot the bearings melted and seized the pully and threw a belt in the process before I got my 1st HO way back. You can get a Taramps 3k #2ohms and that will get down pretty heavy on some nice subs in a decently tuned enclosure. Not a whole hell of alot of DB gain from 2 Ohm to 1ohm

Maybe you could invest in a nice pair of DVC4 ohm later on and run @1ohm if that amp still works by then?Seems like Power is cheaper than subs atm depending on the budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...