Bass volume dims after certain gain, recently inverted sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

bassranddy

So today I rewired my Massive Audio HippoXL 12 to my MB Quart 3k (1.5k rms). The speaker is prewired with 8ga direct from the leads, dual voice coil, so 4 wires, 2 pos and 2 neg. I ran the 8-4ga with a metal wire coupler. Before this rewire I had the speaker sitting in the box the normal way with the cone facing up and + to + with - to - to the amp. Today I decided to be that guy and inverted the speaker after reworking it all (mainly because I didn't want to drill new holes in the box for the 4ga wire) and I inverted the wiring to the amp also to reverse the polarity and maintain the hits in the right direction. But for some reason it sounds all wrong. It hits good for a few notes then dims completely like if my gains all the way down and at 0 volume I can hear a faint crackling/humming distortion coming from the sub. I'm gonna put it all back to normal and drill those holes and get back to you guys but till then has anyone gone through this? Anybody think they know what I screwed up in the process?

---UPDATE!---

So I put the wire I previously had on which was 12ga speaker wire and put the connections all normal (positive to positive and negative to negative from amp to speaker) and still the problem persists. The amp turns on and I get one solid burp out of the sub and the rest is super dim and faint and then at 0 volume I get the static/distortion. I'm not sure if my amp took a **** or not. Could it have blown? I've only blown amps catastrophically never seen them do this before that's why I'm not sure if it's gone or not..

Last edited by a moderator:
Plays for a little while then stops and you hear distortion?

Something's wired with incorrectly.

You parallel wired a DVC sub. Are the 4 ohm coils? Is the amp bridged? The amp may not be able to handle a bridged 2 ohm (or less) load.

dont reverse any polarity bud. wire it normally as if you were mounting it normally. You never reverse unless you have two subs and one is inverted and the other is not. Otherwise you wire it normally at all times.

dont reverse any polarity bud. wire it normally as if you were mounting it normally. You never reverse unless you have two subs and one is inverted and the other is not. Otherwise you wire it normally at all times.
That wouldn't cause it to stop making a sound other than distortion though.

That wouldn't cause it to stop making a sound other than distortion though.
nope it would play normally.

Only reason you would reverse polarity is so that both subs move in the same direction. If you already have one sub, it'll move in the right direction already inverted or not.

Plays for a little while then stops and you hear distortion?
Something's wired with incorrectly.

You parallel wired a DVC sub. Are the 4 ohm coils? Is the amp bridged? The amp may not be able to handle a bridged 2 ohm (or less) load.
That's what I thought I did but I checked and double checked all my wiring and it's exactly the same as before I bumped up to 4ga. I tried it both regular and inverted polarity and it does the same. The 4ga is from an old system and what I'm hoping it could be is that the wire is oxidized or something inside the insulation that isn't letting the power through. The amp doesn't go into protect which is what it should do when it can't provide the power safely. The green power led indicator stays on.

Are the subs wiring "hard wired" into the driver? Direct leads....that's the words I'm looking for.

If not try diff wiring.

Are the subs wiring "hard wired" into the driver? Direct leads....that's the words I'm looking for.
If not try diff wiring.
Yeah they're direct leads 8ga from the DVC that I coupled together to a single 4ga leading out to the amp. I'll try different wire later to see if it's the actual wire that's cutting me off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.