Beating 2 12 L7'S

v8s10
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
far away
OK.. i got a 94 s-10 and have a younger brother with a 1996 explorer. He has 2 12 inch L7 with 2000 watts... and he is hitting 143.4 on the average.. competes alot in db drag... i need to beat him. what kind of subs/amps would you recommend? i can only have up to 2 12's and i think 2 amps.. maybe one... but anyway.. i can throw about 3000 into this, including a new head unit *(270 dollar alpine)* and about 600 for my components... so help is appreciated.. from what i've heard i want digital design 9512d. they are 1200 each.. so i'd just need an amp.. etc... but if there are better subs for hitting hard... let me know. thanks ahead of time.

Originally posted by v8s10 OK.. i got a 94 s-10 and have a younger brother with a 1996 explorer. He has 2 12 inch L7 with 2000 watts... and he is hitting 143.4 on the average.. competes alot in db drag... i need to beat him. what kind of subs/amps would you recommend? i can only have up to 2 12's and i think 2 amps.. maybe one... but anyway.. i can throw about 3000 into this, including a new head unit *(270 dollar alpine)* and about 600 for my components... so help is appreciated.. from what i've heard i want digital design 9512d. they are 1200 each.. so i'd just need an amp.. etc... but if there are better subs for hitting hard... let me know. thanks ahead of time.
1. You have a boatload less space.

2. The L7 in my honest opinion is flawed, the limited stroke and rather crazy box sizes don't make the best output machine to me. It can be done, but I feel other woofers are more capable. The added cone area is only so much, you need stroke to also displace air.

The digital designs 9512 is a rather crazily expensive, and to hit a 143.4 in an s-10 is going to be so easy it's almost funny.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'd personally choose a cheaper woofer in this digging, as to hit the limit that you are after is going to be very easy. Just be mindful that if you want to whup your brother, check on what class he is in in db drag, and plan your system out so that you are in the same one...

As for subs, you'll want to research the class your brother is in, and see what is allowed for you. Once you have that, figure out how much power you can have on tap. Then find the biggest, amp you can, while remaining in that class, (assuming you don't blow your woofers all to hell getting this amp.. if you don't NEED that much... then don't get something quite that large... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

i forgot to mention its extended cab.. anyway.. i found out i can only have one amp, but i can have 2 12 inch subs, no mods, and only one power cap. so its just 2 subs and an amp... so if those dd's are the BEST.. i wanna spank all the kids in town.. lets call it a personal vendetta... *(made fun of me cuz im handicapped)* so i wanna one - up the jerks and just trash them at what they feel they do best.

143s isn't too great with 2000 watts. You should be able to beat him for less than three grand. Well if you have to stick with 12's you could get two Brahmas and two JBL 1200.1's for about 1300 or so. Or get two 9512's with the 1200.1's for 15-1600. Hell, you could even get two 3512's and beat a 143, as long as your install is solid. Or really piss him off and get one 9512 and two JBL's for a grand, and as long as you had 5 cubes or so, and plenty of vent area, you should kill a 143 easy But, with all that power you are going to need some electrical upgrades big time. You should still be able to slide in under 3 grand even with a HO alt., relay, and a couple of batts.

see i cant have HUGE power upgrades... only a new battery and one power cap... could i still do it? **** if i could pull it off with one sub.. he would DIE... hahahah.. you guys are making my night.

Originally posted by v8s10 i forgot to mention its extended cab.. anyway.. i found out i can only have one amp, but i can have 2 12 inch subs, no mods, and only one power cap. so its just 2 subs and an amp... so if those dd's are the BEST.. i wanna spank all the kids in town.. lets call it a personal vendetta... *(made fun of me cuz im handicapped)* so i wanna one - up the jerks and just trash them at what they feel they do best.
Didn't see this in time. I agree this won't be that hard, especially since you have such a small space to work with. The 9512's are some really good woofers, but you would have to get something bad ass to power 2 of them. You could even get 3512's and 1500-1800 watts and beat that nicely.

Originally posted by v8s10 i also have to correct myself.. 153.4 he just came in bragging again. *******.

sorry for the confusion.
153.4 is a lot different. Are you sure he's not BSing you about that? That seems awfully high for 2 L7 12's even if he does have 2000 watts.

Originally posted by JTz62  

153.4 is a lot different. Are you sure he's not BSing you about that? That seems awfully high for 2 L7 12's even if he does have 2000 watts.
Semi-high considering the vehicle also...

And is the score on the headrest, legal and does he have a scoresheet to prove it...

For reference, one of adire's competitors who goes by black00 had hit a 152.3 outlaw with a single tempest and 500 watts, in his s-10

So yes, that score can be crushed...

yeah im sure.. ive seen the slip.. bastard almost framed it. it was at a db drag contest... so it was legit too. anyway there is ANOTHER kid with a ford focus hatchback that hits 155s with memphis lvs series.... i think he is in the super street class too. anyway.. thanks for what help you gave me... so the dd s are too expensive? what should i go with then? those brahmas look strange **(sorry if that offended anyone)**, so why do they get such a huge backing? are THEY worth the money??? eh.. either way i can spank his ass with my supercharged 350 v8. haha.

there are other subs to look at that are just as mean and powerful of a SPL machine as the DD9512. why not try a Juggy, or a Kove Armageddon, or a MTF RFL, people also don't like this sub but you could try a MA audio synergy sub that is 1500rms and 3000peak watts, if SPL is your main concern. now since your only allowed 1 amp why not get something like a hifonics XI colossus amp, 2400wattsrms. it costs 1400 but it's one mean mother of an amp. anyway yeah 153 is impressive from only 2 12"s i gotta give your bro that especially legit, you really wanna piss him off though get those brahma's even if you don't beat him in SPL it would be very close, but you'd kill his SQ in his car i can garuntee that.

keep it thumpin,

adam

The Juggs might be something to look in to. Or a DEI Viper 2400 with 2 CV Stroker 12's would be nice also. I would say go with a US Amps 2000/2000x but it needs a lot of juice, and might not fare too well in your class. Let me think of some more...........

wow.. just from you guys i found almost my entire system for about 1/2 of what my brother paid for his.. here is the list:

Head unit: Alpine CDA-7894 *($342)*

Components: 2 set M.B. Quart DSD 216 *(310 TOTAL)*

Amp for components: JBL P180.2 *(300 TOTAL)*

Sub Amp: JBL BP 1200.1 *(285)* 2 maybe...

NICE DEALS... anyway.. now i just gotta get my Brahmas....

anyone know who i can get these from? ****.. a v8, now this..

Originally posted by v8s10 wow.. just from you guys i found almost my entire system for about 1/2 of what my brother paid for his.. here is the list:

Head unit: Alpine CDA-7894 *($342)*

Components: 2 set M.B. Quart DSD 216 *(310 TOTAL)*

Amp for components: JBL P180.2 *(300 TOTAL)*

Sub Amp: JBL BP 1200.1 *(285)* 2 maybe...

NICE DEALS... anyway.. now i just gotta get my Brahmas....

anyone know who i can get these from? ****.. a v8, now this..
If you are going with brahma's, I can help, I am a dealer.

E-mail me @ webmaster@carstereos.org also, since we are looking at a really high SPL number, the box design is going to be a very delicate thing... I'd like to work with you directly on this matter...

and now you have jlaine helping you who is the expert on adire audio products so you should beat your bro and hopefully you will. also see if he'd like to take you on SQ after you whip him in SPL.

keep it thumpin,

adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.