Best 6.5 components for $200 or less?

Look around for a set of HAT Imagines, they can be had for less than 200, sometimes brand new.
I've seen a few sets lately on DIYMA.
/thread

But really, install will make or break a speakers performance.

But hey, it's really what sounds good to you, but I really do doubt you'll enjoy anything else more without spending more

Well poo. I have been thinking about Polk MM's and MA RK 6's, but now there seems to be another contender. I'll have to look into the HAT's. Any thoughts on the Polk and MA's?

Well poo. I have been thinking about Polk MM's and MA RK 6's, but now there seems to be another contender. I'll have to look into the HAT's. Any thoughts on the Polk and MA's?
If $200 is your budget, no one is going to argue for either of those two over the HAT's.

Your best bet is to go listen to some speakers and see which u like best. Alot of people recommend those HATs but I'm willing to Bet half of them have never even heard them or ever even seen the speaker in person! What I can say though is that users have won SQ comps with those speakers and they get great reviews. But thats true of many other speakers as well. For example, Memphis m class got great reviews and have also been winners in SQ comps. I bought a set, had em for maybe a month and just couldn't take it anymore, not for me! So see if u can listen to some stuff first OP. (Nothing against the HAT though since I've never heard them either lol)

Unfortunately I live in a small town in AZ, and there are not a lot of options to go listen to speakers (without driving all over the state). I have heard the Polk MM's, and I really liked the sound of them. They seemed quite smooth and were able to reproduce the music well.

What I really want is good sq and a lot of volume. I don't need to have sq that would win me competitions, but I want to be able to hear the details of the music and I don't want to fatigue my ears on long road trips (I frequently make 4.5-12 hour trips).

That being said, I am now comparing the polk's to MA CK6V's. I like what I have heard from the Polk's, and I like the 94 db sensitivity. I like what I have read about the CK6's, and they seem like a better bang for the buck (even though they are priced the same as the Polk). I've read the ck6's like power - I would be giving them only 100 rms (not sure if that would be enough to make them shine). On the other hand with the Polk's being more sensitive, and having a 2.7 Ohm impedance, I think the 100 @ 4 Ohm amp would be plenty sufficient.

Decisions decisions. . .

I am breaking in my set of HAT Imagine speakers. I have them running in component mode with tweeter mounted on door sails. I am not going to write a full review due to break-in issue, but I want to warn you that these speakers will not sound best in component setup unless you run them active or unless the tweeters are really close to the mid. The tweeter is definitely louder than the mid, something that a lot of reviewers interpret as "harsh tweeter". I can hear a lot of vocal cues coming out of it compared to my Alpine Type R speaker (even though, this is against HAT's philosophy). This set is meant to sound best in coaxial setup. This is why tweeter plays so loud I think. In a typical coaxial setup, the tweeter is way off axis and needs to play louder. But in component setup, with tweeter much closer to your ears than the mid, the tweeter becomes dominant. I don't think EQ can fix this, unless you can equalize the entire >5K range.

I bought these speakers with the intention of running active in component setup, and when running active, the aggressive tweeter should not be an issue because I can just turn it down. If you want HATs, either run them in active setup, or buy HAT Unity ($350) which have a crossover and tweeter that was tailored for component setup.

If you can, also try to audit Alpine Type-Rs, but beware that they use a lot more power. The newer ones use neo magnets and are supposed to sound better, but I haven't tried them.

I am breaking in my set of HAT Imagine speakers. I have them running in component mode with tweeter mounted on door sails. I am not going to write a full review due to break-in issue, but I want to warn you that these speakers will not sound best in component setup unless you run them active or unless the tweeters are really close to the mid. The tweeter is definitely louder than the mid, something that a lot of reviewers interpret as "harsh tweeter". I can hear a lot of vocal cues coming out of it compared to my Alpine Type R speaker (even though, this is against HAT's philosophy). This set is meant to sound best in coaxial setup. This is why tweeter plays so loud I think. In a typical coaxial setup, the tweeter is way off axis and needs to play louder. But in component setup, with tweeter much closer to your ears than the mid, the tweeter becomes dominant. I don't think EQ can fix this, unless you can equalize the entire >5K range.
I bought these speakers with the intention of running active in component setup, and when running active, the aggressive tweeter should not be an issue because I can just turn it down. If you want HATs, either run them in active setup, or buy HAT Unity ($350) which have a crossover and tweeter that was tailored for component setup.
Thanks for the info. I have read that about the HAT's elsewhere, so I'm not going that route. I've been searching the web today, and I am pretty much set on the ck6's. Now I'm just not sure the 100 watts from the powerbass will be enough. . .

Unfortunately I live in a small town in AZ, and there are not a lot of options to go listen to speakers (without driving all over the state). I have heard the Polk MM's, and I really liked the sound of them. They seemed quite smooth and were able to reproduce the music well.
What I really want is good sq and a lot of volume. I don't need to have sq that would win me competitions, but I want to be able to hear the details of the music and I don't want to fatigue my ears on long road trips (I frequently make 4.5-12 hour trips).

That being said, I am now comparing the polk's to MA CK6V's. I like what I have heard from the Polk's, and I like the 94 db sensitivity. I like what I have read about the CK6's, and they seem like a better bang for the buck (even though they are priced the same as the Polk). I've read the ck6's like power - I would be giving them only 100 rms (not sure if that would be enough to make them shine). On the other hand with the Polk's being more sensitive, and having a 2.7 Ohm impedance, I think the 100 @ 4 Ohm amp would be plenty sufficient.

Decisions decisions. . .
If you've heard the polks, like the polks, have the power for the polks, are willing to pay for the polks

.......then it's a duck!
I also like the Polks, and I do recommend them, but I have heard the HATs and enjoyed them more. Like he^^ said, get em if you like them. They get decently loud and stay clear and flat for what they are.

From the Imagine set manual:

An important learning note! Hybrid Audio Technologies designed the Imagine-series to be used

predominantly as a coaxial, as we can effectively mitigate anticipated environmental conditions and

reduce the number of variables in this type of installation. When used as a coaxial, the relative

amplitudes (volumes) of the midbass and tweeter are equalized to each other and the speaker

system will perform as intended. There is much less amplitude control of the tweeter amplitude with

respect to the midbass amplitude when the set is converted into component set mode. This is due to

simple physics. If the midbass drivers are placed low in the door, for example, and the tweeter is

placed high in the dashboard, sail panels, or a-pillars, there WILL be a notable amplitude difference

between the two speakers. This is because the midbass are installed further from you, and are likely

aimed into your leg, carpeting, and other soft furnishings in the vehicle, while the tweeter is located

likely closer to you, likely aimed more “ox-axis”, and is near hard, reflective surfaces, such as window

glass, hard plastic interior panels, and etc. In many cases, converting from coaxial to component set

will cause the tweeter to be notably louder than the midbass. This is not a speaker malfunction; it is a

simple acoustical phenomenon playing out in your vehicle. Hybrid Audio Technologies usually

recommends that the Imagine sets be left as a coaxial, but encourage the end-user to test the

Imagine systems in both formats to evaluate what suits the end-user’s listening habits best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.