Best class D amp brands

spkerfreak

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’m kind of new to this so excuse my ignorance. I’m looking to power a 1500 W RMS, Sundown U-series 2 ohm sub. This isn’t urgent. I’m hoping to keep my eye out for deals and get something as it comes up. So I would like to get a couple of items that I could be watching for.

What are the best class D amp brands that out there? Or if you have specific amp that you would recommend for this application that would be great too. If you could list 5 or more of the top brands that would recommend that would be a great help. I tried searching for it online, but I keep running into these stupid YouTube videos that are made clearly by people who don’t know anything about audio systems and are just making these lists to make money on affiliate marketing from Amazon.

Anyways, I know for sure JL audio is good. So I’m already looking out for that.

Last edited:

Now that they're in stock...I'd just grab a cab22 if I was looking for that power

That CAB-22 is a great amp. The stingeris a good buy:

Amazon product ASIN B0BN2JLBQ6
This is a very nice amp too:

I don't purchase DB because it is owned by a Russian corporation but many like these:

A lot of recommendations here seem to be for pretty affordable amps. With the exception of MMATS. Which makes me question, are they the top quality amps? I wouldn’t even have to wait for any deals to buy these. Are these in the same class as JL audio and MMATS? I saw some cheap DS18 amps but when I started doing some research I saw a people write that they aren’t that great. I know that price is not always indicative of quality. Is this the case in this situation? If not, then what are the top high quality amps?

Last edited:
The DS18 Korean amps are very good, can't really vouch for the others. Most all of those long body 2000 watt amps are variations of the same Chinese house builds with a few minor differences. The stinger is a great little amp design and as they gain popularity I expect the price to rise. THe DS18 full blown S Korean is very good, and not as costly as the MMATS and are priced accordingly. I've Used them and I am a big fan.

2K Refurbished:

New

3K refurbished

New

The DS18 EXL line is also a Korean design but the parts and labor are done in China. I've used the EXL 2500 and am currently using the Hooligan 3k, they're both built like a tank!

A lot of recommendations here seem to be for pretty affordable amps. With the exception of MMATS. Which makes me question, are they the top quality amps? I wouldn’t even have to wait for any deals to buy these. Are these in the same class as JL audio and MMATS? I saw some cheap DS18 amps but when I started doing some research I saw a people write that they aren’t that great. I know that price is not always indicative of quality. Is this the case in this situation? If not, then what are the top high quality amps?
MMats is indeed top quality class d American made amps. If the price isn’t an issue, it’s imo what to run. Top quality internals along with an actual solid design. All the other stuff from the Chinese, Brazilian, and Korean offering do not compare. Do those amp make power for cheap? Absolutely! Are they of top notch quality and design? Nope! Thing is though If run properly (proper install and electrical), many of the cheaper offerings will do just fine.

In that case, this is the ticket - bar none!

Last edited:
JL is good. I like JL and run JL, but you're paying for a name. Just because it's sold at Best Buy doesn't mean it's the top brands, it means they have a marketing budget.

Yeah, nobody is really listing the BEST amps, their listing the best amps for a reasonable budget, they would recommend, or they can vouch for.

The difficulty with your question is, a top quality sub amp does not have the same criteria as a top quality amp for your mids and highs.

What exactly are you looking for?
Do you want the best design?
The best efficiency?
The best in sound quality?

We can list thousand dollar amps, but is that really what you're asking for?

The amps listed will make rated power, (and I would want to be able to run at least 2K watts).
If you have plans to upgrade, will it do that power now and can dial it down until then?
Is it going to stay cool, and not overheat, internal and external design?

The main cost difference between those thousand dollar amps and what is listed so far, is a very small amount of distortion, that you will never be able to notice on that/any subwoofer. It's just not reasonable for 99% of people to get really high end, low wattage, sub amps.

Your two posts make it sound like you think if we don't name something from one of about 10 brands (JL, Kenwood, Sony, etc.._), then you don't think it's quality. I could be wrong, there just seems to be some disconnect in what you are asking to what's being offered, as in, that's not what you're asking for, and trying to understand why.

I’m a JL fan and yes you pay for a name but you know you’re getting quality. If I were going for a Korean, I’d get Incriminator Audio all day. I have the 10.1 and it was heavily abused and never hiccuped. Most of the big names you’re used to aren’t really making offerings in the 1500+ market.

MMats is still made in USA and they're definitely of high quality. If you like supporting American manufacturing they're probably the only guys left making large monoblocks domestically. A bit rich for my blood these days, but I'd run them without hesitation.

I would NOT trust the DS18, but to be fair they're probably using the same boards as the CT sounds and CAB and a bunch of others. If you're bargain hunting, check out theamplab.net for refurbs. They're good guys, do good work, and they don't sell junk brands so anything they're offering is going to at least deliver as advertised and they stand behind their work/warranty.

JL is good. I like JL and run JL, but you're paying for a name. Just because it's sold at Best Buy doesn't mean it's the top brands, it means they have a marketing budget.

Yeah, nobody is really listing the BEST amps, their listing the best amps for a reasonable budget, they would recommend, or they can vouch for.

The difficulty with your question is, a top quality sub amp does not have the same criteria as a top quality amp for your mids and highs.

What exactly are you looking for?
Do you want the best design?
The best efficiency?
The best in sound quality?

We can list thousand dollar amps, but is that really what you're asking for?

The amps listed will make rated power, (and I would want to be able to run at least 2K watts).
If you have plans to upgrade, will it do that power now and can dial it down until then?
Is it going to stay cool, and not overheat, internal and external design?

The main cost difference between those thousand dollar amps and what is listed so far, is a very small amount of distortion, that you will never be able to notice on that/any subwoofer. It's just not reasonable for 99% of people to get really high end, low wattage, sub amps.

Your two posts make it sound like you think if we don't name something from one of about 10 brands (JL, Kenwood, Sony, etc.._), then you don't think it's quality. I could be wrong, there just seems to be some disconnect in what you are asking to what's being offered, as in, that's not what you're asking for, and trying to understand why.
I’m looking for good quality. And something that won’t overheat playing it at top volume. I will 100% not be upgrading to anything larger. This is already overkill.

Regarding your question the top amp statement I made. I am trying to understand if there’s a high correlation between price and quality. That’s where that question comes from. I asked if there was that correlation. Because in many industries the price to quality correlation only goes to a certain point. After that point, you’re just paying for brand name. I don’t care about the brand name, but I do want something that will have play quality sound, undistorted, and not overheat. I run a Skar amp in one of the boats that I have, and it mostly sounds good, until it’s cracked up all the way to the top, but at 75%-80% it’s good.

So my main interest is 1. It sounds good. 2. It doesn’t overheat. I will be wiring everything with the correct size wires, maybe even larger. So no worry there, and I have 4 deep cycle batteries that will be powering my system.

I’m looking for good quality. And something that won’t overheat playing it at top volume. I will 100% not be upgrading to anything larger. This is already overkill.

Regarding your question the top amp statement I made. I am trying to understand if there’s a high correlation between price and quality. That’s where that question comes from. I asked if there was that correlation. Because in many industries the price to quality correlation only goes to a certain point. After that point, you’re just paying for brand name. I don’t care about the brand name, but I do want something that will have play quality sound, undistorted, and not overheat. I run a Skar amp in one of the boats that I have, and it mostly sounds good, until it’s cracked up all the way to the top, but at 75%-80% it’s good.

So my main interest is 1. It sounds good. 2. It doesn’t overheat. I will be wiring everything with the correct size wires, maybe even larger. So no worry there, and I have 4 deep cycle batteries that will be powering my system.
With amps, you pay a little more for more power, but you pay a lot more for the least amount of distortion. It's just not a main factor in a sub amp. You're never going to hear the difference in distortion in your subs between .02% and .2% distortion (which would probably be a $500 difference), and you have to spend a lot of time and money to make the vehicle into a sound stage where you even could notice the difference.

I would personally be looking for something in the 2K watt range for that sub, but where you mount it is going to be the biggest impact on heat. Needs to be somewhere that can get air flow, and perhaps the size and shape of the amp matters.

With amps, you pay a little more for more power, but you pay a lot more for the least amount of distortion. It's just not a main factor in a sub amp. You're never going to hear the difference in distortion in your subs between .02% and .2% distortion (which would probably be a $500 difference), and you have to spend a lot of time and money to make the vehicle into a sound stage where you even could notice the difference.

I would personally be looking for something in the 2K watt range for that sub, but where you mount it is going to be the biggest impact on heat. Needs to be somewhere that can get air flow, and perhaps the size and shape of the amp matters.

Is that for pretty much any amp across the board, or is there a cutoff somewhere? For example, would I notice a difference if I got a Skar audio amp vs a high priced one?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...