Best Speakers for the $$

UPCguy
10+ year member

Ohio
Hey guys, I posted a few weeks ago, I have a 95 Chevy Beretta, has a Pioneer Deh 1500 cd player in it, and stock speakers. I think what I am going to do is keep the head unit it has for right now, and upgrade the speakers, because Christmas is coming and mom and dad want to know what I want. So dad told me to do research and tell them what I wanted. So I got on Crutchfield.com, and chatted with a rep. who reccomended the following setup.....

Alpine Type R 6x9's 2 way speakers for the rear deck

Alpine SPS 4x6 2 way speakers for the front kick panels

Bass blockers, they show 600hz cutoff for lower power applications, 800 hz on higher power applications...here is a link to them.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3mtMra8Dd7A/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=127BB150A2&s=0&cc=01

However, I am wondering....I would like to stay under 200 bucks for the speakers, and I have found the same speakers a lot cheaper on ebay than on crutchfield. So should I go with the above setup, or should I go with some Infinity Kappa Speakers?

Keep in mind, I would like a little bit of bass to them, does not have to be a lot of bass, the factory speakers hit OK actually, but maybe something that hits a bit harder if possible. Keep in mind that I don't have an amp now, and these are not going to be amped most likely, at least not right away, as I am still in college and trying to finish up. But I am supposed to graduate in March, so then I may fix the car up more, and keep it, as it is paid off.

But the Infinity Kappas, maybe some of these

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3mtMra8Dd7A/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51400&I=1086412CF

Or these

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3mtMra8Dd7A/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51400&I=1084627CFP

Either of those would be for the front kick panels.

Also, on 6x9's for the rear deck, probably some of these.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3mtMra8Dd7A/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?readmore=true&g=400&I=1086927I#Tab

Again, I have seen Infinity Kappas and other speakers on Ebay significantly cheaper than Crutchfield. Like half the price. So for the cash, what do you guys reccomend for best bass and decent mids and highs? I want something that will sound good and that will do well for my setup, and again, when I graduate and get a better job, I may upgrade a bit.

Oh yeah, and while I am posting, what about an alarm system, again, let's say 150-200 bucks installed. I don't really want to hack into the factory harness like that. Dad has worked on cars and done a little audio, but even he I think is nervous messing with that, and on hooking up an alarm, I would not be totally sure what I am doing.

Keep these constraints in mind, I may have to work in a larger city where I would commute to after I graduate if I get a job there. They have laws evidently against car alarms, like you can have it hooked to a horn, but not a siren, or you can get tickets if it goes off. Also, any other accessories to have a place hook up with the alarm for extra security? It's not like I will be showing my stuff off or having stickers on the car advertising any equipment, as having brand stickers and what not, and advertising your equipment, is in my opinion, almost like putting a "Steal Me" sign on the car. But I once locked my keys in the car, and it took them all of like 30 seconds to get into the car, so I would like something that would make it a little harder to get anything out of the car. Also, as for disabling the trunk release, there is not one, you have to use the key, so I guess that would help back there, lol. Thanks everyone, let me know what you all think.....

I'm starting to get mad, why don't you guys post under "speakers" when posting a thread about speakers instead of clogging up the general discussion area. I'm not just pointing at you but look at the threads here in the general discussion and there a number of threads that are pretty specific but still not posted under the area that its supposed to.

as for the speakers, try to figure out a way to fit components in there some way because they are so much better then 4x6. If you want to stay under $200 maybe you can find a set of Rainbow SLC components. they've been selling around here for $150 or so.

also unless you carry passengers, ditch the 6x9's and use that money to amp your fronts.

Ok, well I will have to remember to post in speakers then, maybe a mod can move it? Also, on the components, that would be nice, but the car did not come with any, so I am unsure how hard it would be to hook them up as there is no stock location to mount them. Anyone have any thoughts?

some component sets come with the tweeter attatched to the midbass if you completely afraid of mounting tweeters (although its not all that difficult). you wont get the best imaging, but the SQ will still beat most coaxials.

you do need to amp them though. id say if your looking for a cheap set, look for the Pheonix Gold Xennon 6.5" on ebay or wherever you have been looking. i have heard great things, and i am getting a pair myself.

Oh keep in mind, I am a little new to this. Like dad and I installed head unit, but I have not torn into my speaker setup or installed anything like that, though it should not be a big deal. But just kind of keep that in mind, that I am a noob and am really just wanting to best deal for the $$, and a nice setup. Any other brands besides the infinities and alpines I should look at?

the Pheonix Gold X6.5 components, like i said before, are the best for the money. if you look in the right places, they are only 80$.

plugging in new speakers is just that, plugging them in. components need an amp which needs wires run and such, so that can get frustrating at first, but once you try to do it you will see how easy it all really is.

By the way, I did look on ebay for infinity components, ok so I'm sold on infinity, those came stock with tweeters in my mom's 02 mitsubishi diamante, and sounds awesome. But I am not sure which size to get. From the research I have done, my front speakers stock were 4x6, so I believe they take that, or 4 inch. Anyone have like a link so I have an example as to what I should be shopping for in the front?

Just looking around crutchfield again, and they had these.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3mtMra8Dd7A/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=037ACS2040

Something like that would sound better than say just a plain old infinity speaker do you guys think?

By the way, thanks for the help thus far everybody:)

I would do the alpines over the infinitys. I have heard the infinitys give off horrid bass. But maybe someone else who has used them could help you more on that topic. I would get the alpine r's coxial 5.25 in the fronts for now,since you cant afford a nice amps for a componet set. 4x6's just **** the big one. You can get a baffle to make the 5.25 fit in that location. I did it on my front doors which had 4x6's in them factory. I have a nice componet set in there now. Then get the type r's for the back. I have heard an all coxial car that ran that same setup off a cheap profile amp and I was very impressed. If I was you though I would save up some dough and get 2 sets of mb quart dse's. Get a decent amp and vioala you will be happy. I have those in my back and only paid 100 bucks for the set off of **** ass ikesound.com. Very nice budget componet set. Good luck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.