Best Way To Tap Into A Factory Wiring Harness

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bassically85
10+ year member

I'm looking to do an install on my 2016 Challenger and I'm planning everything out before I dive into it and wanted some advice on ways i could tap into the wiring from the factory amp without hacking everything up to death.

My plan is to 9 wire from the factory amp (located under the steering wheel ) to a DSP's which will be in the trunk. I want to avoid cutting up the harness if at all possible. Has anyone ever used quick splice/ t tap connectors in car audio? I'm considering going that route.

Also just for added measure I know the "easy" route is to tap into the rear speakers to add an amp or sub, but I want to retain fade/balance and also the voice commands from the factory only play thru the front left( driver) speaker.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer! View attachment 26555057

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't have both the factory amplifier and an aftermarket amplifier wired to speakers at the same time, so unless you can buy or make a custom harness there will be cutting required. T-taps are abuse to wires and should never be used. Also, you will need load resistors to prevent the factory amp from shutting off when it doesn't have the speakers connected. Some DSPs have this built in, but you will need to verify before skipping that step.

Or you can hire a professional to do this. I can help you locate a reputable shop.

You can't have both the factory amplifier and an aftermarket amplifier wired to speakers at the same time, so unless you can buy or make a custom harness there will be cutting required. T-taps are abuse to wires and should never be used. Also, you will need load resistors to prevent the factory amp from shutting off when it doesn't have the speakers connected. Some DSPs have this built in, but you will need to verify before skipping that step.
Or you can hire a professional to do this. I can help you locate a reputable shop.
Thank you for your response. This is what the harness connection looks like, do you know where I could find a female version of it so I could extend the factory harness?
e6ab0db2797794c2569a9c4fc6494f49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.