Big Dave + 8 IXL-12's = :drool:

Since you were talking about how the amp's footprint restricted your choice in amps, why did you go with the RF amps? I hear Mark is gettnig chummy with SounDigital. Their amps are tiny and put out gobs of power *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Very nice work. I wish I had any sort of aesthetic, installing or fiberglassing skills, they could come in handy, but alas, I am not good at any of those things.

Hey all, thanks for the kind words //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I WON all the shows I entered, with Rockford Fosgate. There is NO other! The 4 BIG American- RF, Orion, PPI, US AMPS, there were soooo many to choose from . BUT- only Rockford had the headroom for the 18db bass boost- WAAAY under rated the amp power and was better for tuning the low end. This was back in the late 80's as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Tried PPI- lots of my competitors used those- but they just didnt have the bottom end I like. Tried the HCCA and the Black series Orion- lots of aggressive power- but again, without that bass circuit- no bottom end THAT I like! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IN Canada- there is a Middleman called Mr. DISTRIBUTOR- that can rape you - so on a budget- there was just no way to acquire the number of amps or power u wanted. Only way to go was with the amplifiers that gave u the most bang for the buck!

So- when it was time to shop again, I chose to go RF. Great thing is- there are dam near as many choices for product as there are haircuts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Others have their reasons for purchasing their fav's. NOT knocking any brands- there was my reasons why I chose to go with Rockford and I put it together in a way that won //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Had a secret- mite share with y'all if ya say please! lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Mark HAS the SD available now. BUT- mine were bot way back in Nov of last year. Thats when I hunted all the gear down and JUST getting it running now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

From what I hear- they are MONSTER powerhouses! They ran one 8000 watt amp powering 8x SPL-12's. Mark said the Van was 'breathing'! haha. BUT- I think they ran it with 24- 18volt batteries????? Where the hell would I put 24 batteries?? IF I needed 2 or 3 amps- or to replace the 5 amps I'm running??? Haha- a HUNDRED batteries- I'd have to haul around a trailer or get one of those Nifty Cold-fusion mini-reactors from E-Bay! lmao!

HEY ALL! Bin a while- time for an update!

Well- TRUK is FINISHED! Woohoo! 'Bout dam time! lol.

Mark- Owner of Mach5Audio was in attendance at its First Competition out here in the Canadian West.

The 12V store where I purchased my Audio Control gear, had sent their RTA back for Modifications & upgrades and would not have it back for a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif So, I called the hi-end store I get my home audio from "General Audio" , in Calgary AB, and they had an RTA that they let me 'use', to tune the truk. Thanks to Rod & Brian! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I gotta say- the curve was impressive- for all the drivers in it & the poor placement! Had to tweek 63 & 80, bit at 400- 630- those nasty naisily midrange notes! haha, and bring down the 12K a bit and 20K by 12db! haha, figered that one!

But- all in all, a nice curve. Bass is about 36 db above everything, haha, to be expected, (always gonna have a Major deviation) and the tweets could use a 2 or 5 ohm resistor to supress the output a bit, but being off-axis, that was expected as well.

Its a 'SHOW' truk to show off the MACH5AUDIO subs. A nice stereo in my race hauler, that happens to be pretty LOUD! haha.

So, it was a DB meet, and DB Drag Race event.

Took FIRST place in DB in my class. Then went into the DB Drag-Race- that was FUN! Took FIRST PLACE there as well!

So, first outting, took 2x 1st Place wins! Good enuf for me! lol. AND- there was Corey & his lovely wife, who had made the trip from, Saskatoon I think?? He took 2 trophies as well. SO- 4 trophies for MACH5AUDIO at this one event- MORE than the million dollar sub companies could do!!! Corey pulls in the 150+ range and he went to the max with the MACH5AUDIO SPL-15"s. I have one of those now- THEY ARE MONSTERS! HUGE!

Also- he was running the new Sound Digital 8000 watt amps! NICE amps! ONE to each sub! (6x 18 volt batteries and a 2nd alternator that puts out 18 volts- just to charge the stereo batts!) Wish I could afford 'em! But- I didnt set out to build the Loudest truk, just a nice stereo, platform to showcase the Subs, and it Happens to be loud!

Certainly not a contender in those DB drag wars. Man- some people have serious power in their vehicles! All those 18 volt batteries! WOW

Maybe there will be a resurgence in the 'Stereo' Comps, or a partnering with the old I.A.S.C.A. to have events that judge 'Sound Quality' & 'Install'?

Haha- some of the guys looked at my install and asked " Whats that?"

I said " Thats a stereo!". Heehee- I'm not sure if everyone there actually had any front end speakers! It was interesting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Some there were doing the 'hair' tricks. One popped his windshield seal and put a chick sitting on it and she kept sliding down cuz the bass would rattle her off. It was funny! Guess somewhere around here there are TWINS that have a 180+ DB vehicle?? I havent met them but heard people talking.

Mark has the pics- I'm not sure how to load on here, so hopefully he'll be updating the rest of the install soon and then we can get the Finished pics up. Also- going to shoot a video to show everything in reference to the rest of the truk.

People cant believe 8x12"s & 5000 watts, amps on the ceiling- u cant see anything from outside, its all in the 2 foot section behind the suicide doors. Doesnt look like 8 months of work in MY opinion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, but people rage over it.

I'll be in a lot, hear a 'boom boom', and then people will gather, someone who knows me will have said "U gotta check out that truk" and point. The naysayers approach, smirk on their face. Then group together and scoff. One will get closer for a look and I'll chat with him, pointing out features of the door panels or underdash components, then open the back door for the reveal. He'll turn to his friends and start shouting. The group gathers closer. I'll let one sit in the drivers seat, as the truk is pretty well soundproofed. Loud outside, but its inside where ur noodle gets the hammering.

Once inside, I get my ear plugs in and the 'attendee' will look and raise an eyebrow. Then it comes in waves! Haha. We hit 151 with the windows open on a MOVIE! They start yelling. THEN I hit the EPI button and its all over! They jump out and tell their friends to get in! lol

One guy put his girlfriend in and said 'Giver'. I looked at her and

said "U sure?" She said "Yup". So, on we go!

She looked at me and I could read her lips saying "Thats #$@^*&@ loud" and I saw her eyes water up and tears start rolling down her cheeks! Uhoh! Figered she'd had enuf by then! hahahaha. oops!

Guy who came second was real close- we were .2 DB apart. I said "U hear mine yet?" He said "Nope". I motioned- get in. And played it for him.

When we were done, he got out and said "Thats %$*#%) loud"! I laffed and appreciated that compliment! Its a LOT louder than the numbers cuz the suicide doors just flex way too much to get a good pressure reading. Thats ok, thats not what my goal was.

But its nice to know people think its loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif A nice feature is, its a FULL stereo, so watching a movie at that volume is impressive, compared to some of the one-note wonders that were there. NOT knocking any builds, just some spectators didnt get why one note was playing as a steady tone. They seemed to like actually hearing the rest of the music and media.

NO caps, Optimas discharge fast enuf the lights dont blink. Couldnt sit in it long enuf to drain the batts down low anyway. AND- NO PORT NOISE! No whistling, no chuffing. Mark was there- he heard it. OR- actually, didnt hear it- no port noise! :p lol

HEY- long as everyone has fun, thats what its all about! 'Njoy! -BIG DAVE

Here are some more pictures of the install - some of the finer workings of the amp 'rack' and the screens he installed on each of the rear sides so you can watch what it is he's playing for you.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

I'm not sure what this is but it looks nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

999.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.