Box Build For Me by Vitveet

It was a budget build, $100 shipped, Whitedragon has previously expressed his satisfaction with the cosmetics and performance. If one is of the opinion that the work is not up to par vs. the price charged even though the customer is satisfied, then one shouldn't comment as to it being a good job. But how many who've offered opinions in this thread would be willing to go all out for $100 shipped? I wouldn't have, would you have James? Thank goodness for Whitedragon somebody did.
Not only would my wife have killed me if it cost me more, but I wouldnt be running Image Dynamics. Those *****es are expensive.

It's humorous how James Bang is still stuck in the teen-ish mentality of spewing his opinion whether or not it's necessary. Having aged several years, you'd think he'd invest more of his time and energy into improving his seemingly arrogant communication skills. I'm just calling it as I see it, though I don't claim to always see it right, but surely James can appreciate such a position.
As long as we're giving critiques on pictures of V's work, I thought they could have benefitted from some more creative angles, perhaps more interesting backdrops, and DOF an BOCA could definitely have been improved. As far as the actual box quality, I still don't have a pair of the magic 3D internet glasses that make it seem as though you're seeing it in person, so I can't comment.

Glad you're enjoying your new setup Whitedragon!
Thanks^^! Now there's a mature man speaking!

It's my opinion that you're overanalyzing and underthinking and criticizing for the sake of critcism more than improvement.
I'm pretty sure that the small amount of paint didn't even come close to affecting the porosity of the MDF to the point where the glue couldn't more than adequately absorb and create a strong enough bond.

If the pictures do represent uneven cuts they're slight enough to not create a problem in this case. It would be more critical if it were a sealed enclosure or an uber high powered setup.

The "wrapping paper" seams are the faster and less expensive method of covering and wouldn't be seen in the installation unless I'm mistaken. They can also look accentuated in a picture taken in the sunlight.

It was a budget build, $100 shipped, Whitedragon has previously expressed his satisfaction with the cosmetics and performance. If one is of the opinion that the work is not up to par vs. the price charged even though the customer is satisfied, then one shouldn't comment as to it being a good job. But how many who've offered opinions in this thread would be willing to go all out for $100 shipped? I wouldn't have, would you have James? Thank goodness for Whitedragon somebody did.
Thanks again!

Just funny how the OP/owner of the enclosure says everything is just fine cosmetically and functionality wise but a certain few still are "nagging" and picking! Funny how the only few who have nothing but negative things to say are advertising as box builders here on this site too....hmmmmm, trying to gain business for themselves???!? Run business away from me?!?! Seems like it, oh well! You guys do what you do. That's not my style of gaining business. I have PLENTY of happy customers, as seen in this thread and many more.

Oh yeah, one of the "box builders" in this thread has lost SEVERAL customers (3 to be exact as it stands right now) to me. Customers weren't satisfied with where their "hard earned money" went and soon after, were completely satisfied with doing business with me.... Won't give the name b/c I'm not a mean guy and don't attack people over the internet. I'll help, and in a positive way. A few of you should take a few pointers from Vermithrax!

Again, no hard feelings! Thanks!

V.

It's my opinion that you're overanalyzing and underthinking and criticizing for the sake of critcism more than improvement.
I'm pretty sure that the small amount of paint didn't even come close to affecting the porosity of the MDF to the point where the glue couldn't more than adequately absorb and create a strong enough bond.

If the pictures do represent uneven cuts they're slight enough to not create a problem in this case. It would be more critical if it were a sealed enclosure or an uber high powered setup.

The "wrapping paper" seams are the faster and less expensive method of covering and wouldn't be seen in the installation unless I'm mistaken. They can also look accentuated in a picture taken in the sunlight.

Good excuses.

Criticism is criticism, he can take it how he wishes.

If you think that amount of paint is "small" then you must be delusional. A nice layer of paint between wood is no bueno for bonding, no matter how thin the layer of paint is.

that gift wrap technique isn't that much faster than rabbeting. I'm not sure it's cheaper... cheaper looking, sure. Also, maybe i'm lucky, but the camera tends to hide imperfections.

Again, the price is just about the only thing I can praise. I definitely wouldn't waste my time for that price. However, I don't think the price justifies the sub-par work. I just think he doesn't know any better, though he acts like he's the king of box building and that others are just trying to steal potential customers. I know he's not talking about me, because my box building for customers have been over.

It's very easy to post box builds and get hit up from those that don't have the tools or skills to build themselves. If I did continue to post builds, I surely wouldn't want others to make excuses for me.

Thanks^^! Now there's a mature man speaking!

Thanks again!

Just funny how the OP/owner of the enclosure says everything is just fine cosmetically and functionality wise but a certain few still are "nagging" and picking! Funny how the only few who have nothing but negative things to say are advertising as box builders here on this site too....hmmmmm, trying to gain business for themselves???!? Run business away from me?!?! Seems like it, oh well! You guys do what you do. That's not my style of gaining business. I have PLENTY of happy customers, as seen in this thread and many more.

Oh yeah, one of the "box builders" in this thread has lost SEVERAL customers (3 to be exact as it stands right now) to me. Customers weren't satisfied with where their "hard earned money" went and soon after, were completely satisfied with doing business with me.... Won't give the name b/c I'm not a mean guy and don't attack people over the internet. I'll help, and in a positive way. A few of you should take a few pointers from Vermithrax!

Again, no hard feelings! Thanks!

V.
These types of reply might be the reason most people hold back from posting true opinions on building and just post "good job." If the pics show obvious seams, there are obvious seam. If they show you didn't sand off the paint before gluing, then you didn't, which you should know better. At least this time, the pics don't show splits galore like some of your other builds.

While we're here, I'd like to point something else out: why silicone/caulk between the top piece and the rest of the box? (as shown in my last post) That just decreases the surface area of the glue joints.

Overlook good info and build on.

I do agree that the price is great but meh...

The caulk is on the very inside edge so when you add the thick bead of titebond to the middle and place pressure on the panel, the caulk will ooze outward and never inward and just seal the seams. The titebond will always ooze outward which covers more area because it was in the center. At least that's how I do it. I do this on boxes where I cannot reach in the port, like mazes. Never had a box fall apart.

Good excuses.
Criticism is criticism, he can take it how he wishes.

If you think that amount of paint is "small" then you must be delusional. A nice layer of paint between wood is no bueno for bonding, no matter how thin the layer of paint is.

that gift wrap technique isn't that much faster than rabbeting. I'm not sure it's cheaper... cheaper looking, sure. Also, maybe i'm lucky, but the camera tends to hide imperfections.

Again, the price is just about the only thing I can praise. I definitely wouldn't waste my time for that price. However, I don't think the price justifies the sub-par work. I just think he doesn't know any better, though he acts like he's the king of box building and that others are just trying to steal potential customers. I know he's not talking about me, because my box building for customers have been over.

It's very easy to post box builds and get hit up from those that don't have the tools or skills to build themselves. If I did continue to post builds, I surely wouldn't want others to make excuses for me.

These types of reply might be the reason most people hold back from posting true opinions on building and just post "good job." If the pics show obvious seams, there are obvious seam. If they show you didn't sand off the paint before gluing, then you didn't, which you should know better. At least this time, the pics don't show splits galore like some of your other builds.

While we're here, I'd like to point something else out: why silicone/caulk between the top piece and the rest of the box? (as shown in my last post) That just decreases the surface area of the glue joints.

Overlook good info and build on.
Thanks James for validating my first sentence. You're very much a predictable type. Your responses were pretty much exactly what I expected from you. V's a big boy, he can take care of himself. I made valid points, not excuses, but good try at a vain attempt to undermine them for the sake of trying to leverage your position. We can disagree and call it a day. No point in rebutting your statements when it'll just fall on deaf ears. Carry on with your brand of good info, good for whom is the remaining question. I'll be here basking in my delusion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.