Box build for RE audio 15" destroyer in an avalanche

plexlove

Senior VIP Member
missouri
I just bought an re destroyer, its currently in a 4 cube slot ported box and sounds decent but from what ive read about this sub it should be just killing it!

But I cant seem to find any REAL info about it....keep reading that anywhere from 25 to 50 of them were ever made. Thing is a beast, just had everything replaced from re and it is STIFF!

Seems to be getting enough power but idk, just thought a better box would help more than anything.

So im just curious if anyone knows anything about box size for this sub? Im lookin to hit HARD not so much low, i just want bone crushing loud!

Im building the box into my midgate of my avalanche.

Had 1 12" hdc3 built in last year with a pb xa3000 pushin it and it was way louder than this sub as of now, so id imagine that this sub should be able to hand it its *** in the right enclosure.

Dont need measurements, just what cube and id imagine tuning it to about 38-40hz would be about right, so id need to knw how big the port should be. But just incase, my midgate opening is roughly 21h, 47w, depth isnt an issue. Thanks!!!

Oh and any other suggestions about a box setup that might be louder like a 4th order or something would be appreciated! Just whatever will get the loudest for this sub.

Seriously guys? no help at all? I have a sub that is very rare and an absolute beast and no one has any suggestions? Because ow after doing more research i was thinking a tline box would maybe be the loudest way to go but really need some advice on the build...how many cubes, port width and height, how many tunnels inside and the main chamber size!! Please help!!!

Seriously guys? no help at all? I have a sub that is very rare and an absolute beast and no one has any suggestions? Because ow after doing more research i was thinking a tline box would maybe be the loudest way to go but really need some advice on the build...how many cubes, port width and height, how many tunnels inside and the main chamber size!! Please help!!!
I don't know about the rare sub. They are some bad as subs, same motor as the CSP. So your Destroyer has the stock 12 spoke basket? stock softparts?

Here are stock T/S

15" RE Destroyer

2000 Watts RMS

4 Inch Coil

Pole Vent

Specs:

Fs: 31.0 Hz

Re: 1.14Dvc

Qms: 4.14

Qes: .517

Qts: .46

Sd Cm2: 810

Vas: 87.7

BL: 12.14

SPL 1W/1M: 88.9

RMS: 2000W

appearantly there were only 50 or 52 made, i hear diff stories bout them though and re wont write me back so cant get any info....it is the 12 spoke basket but everything else has been upgraded thru re. I went ahead and built a 4.2 cube box tuned it to 31hz and it sounds WAY WAY better now. Only prob is the brutus amp is only giving it about 1200rms @2ohms, cant run it at .5ohms without upgrading my electrical first, (which is on the way) but still nervous bout running that amp that low. Some people swear they have ran theres at .5 with proper electrical to back it up as a daily driver but idk...and idk of an amp that is .5 ohm stable and capable of giving it the 4k they say it will easily take!

Am very curious as to how its gonna sound once i do get the power to it though, cuz now its def a lot louder!

well my reasoning for not wanting to tune it low is because the guy who sold it to me said the box it was in was tuned to 30hz and was 4 cubes but after doing some measurements i found that it was only 3.28 cubes and tuned to 41hz, WAY OFF what he said, but since it sounded so bad when i thought it was tuned to 30hz i figured higher would be better, turns out 31hz is the money spot for it!

I also found out that my sd card i was playing from wasnt playing the songs at proper level, when i burned a cd yesterday it is 5x louder, it is absolutely nasty now (especially on the lows, lil wayne, faded just kills it) so i am def happy and cant wait to get the power it needs to it because if it is this loud on half power i cant imagine on full. To compare it, i had 2 sundown sa15s with a pb xa 3000 and 2 18 obsidians on an xa4000 (at seperate times of course) but this is louder than both setups....of course it doesnt move as much air or hit lows as good as the 18s but def sounds louder.

Any thoughts on running the brutus at .5ohm with proper electrical?

Try 5 cube, tuned to 38-42 with 80-100 square inches of port area. Consider getting a real amp as well. If you can only afford 1200-1500W amp, a 4" coil sub was probably not the best choice.

Also, aiming of sub and port in the vehicle and their location on the box can pick up 4 or 5dB so you'll probably want to experiment as much as you can or find someone who has built a lot of boxes for that truck to see what is optimum.

well the 4 cube box sounds amazing, i would think 5 cubes would be a little much plus tuning that high when the sub fs is 31hz idk..

As far as where the sub and port faces, well it is kinda limited to one way lol. Its built into the midgate of my truck so cant face any way but towards me. And that amp would work fine if i could run at 1ohm but bein the sub is 1ohm dvc, i cant!

And i keep reading that this sub will take 4k or more all day long, yet on about 1500 it will **** near bottom out on some lower hitting songs dont see how another 2500 wouldnt just rip it apart!

appearantly there were only 50 or 52 made, i hear diff stories bout them though and re wont write me back so cant get any info....it is the 12 spoke basket but everything else has been upgraded thru re. I went ahead and built a 4.2 cube box tuned it to 31hz and it sounds WAY WAY better now. Only prob is the brutus amp is only giving it about 1200rms @2ohms, cant run it at .5ohms without upgrading my electrical first, (which is on the way) but still nervous bout running that amp that low. Some people swear they have ran theres at .5 with proper electrical to back it up as a daily driver but idk...and idk of an amp that is .5 ohm stable and capable of giving it the 4k they say it will easily take!Am very curious as to how its gonna sound once i do get the power to it though, cuz now its def a lot louder!
Like other have said get a bigger amp. On my stock Destroyer I ran a DC5k, i bit too much power. Get something that will give you a clean 3k.

any suggestions that wont cost a fortune? I cant afford a killer amp and dont know of any amp that is stable at .5ohm or can put a clean 3k @2ohms!

That is why i asked if with proper electrical if my amp would be stable at .5ohms, ive read many people swear it could be, but id like more opinions. Because that amp puts out clean 2600 @1ohm so at .5ohm idd imagine it would do around 3k.

You're holding that sub back with only 1200 watts and you're not seeing close to that either after all the considerations. And running that amp at 0.5 ohm probably isn't a real good idea either. Sell the Hifonics and get something else.

Where are you at in MO? I'm down in Tulsa and there's a guy down here that has a ZX1500.1 that would do that sub more justice at 2 ohm. His birthsheet is over 1700 I believe. He only wants 200 bucks. Might be able to work out a trade as well.

I agree with those who're suggesting more power. That sub should be at least 25% over powered. Also, put it in a t-line tuned to Fs and it will be stupid loud on any frequency you want to play through it. You should have more than enough room for a ¼ wave t-line in that vehicle and if you need some pointers on how to build one, just hit me up. I've built them for subs from 6.5 to 15" and they always out perform any other alignment hands down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.