break in

So should I break in my tv??? I mean like the first day only turn it on for 10mins then the next day 20mins and soo on?? God the fail is just to much to bare..
there are hundreds of drivers that need to be broken in. I don't believe in breaking in wires or other ********, but it's pretty much proven a driver will break in different if done slowly then max out the gate.

I'll just leave this here:

When we test our products on the bench they are tested wide open out of the box -- the CMS will change over some extended play time, though, resulting in a lower FS. This typically doesn't take too long at maximum throw. Perhaps an hour or two of actual play time (week or so in a customer install typically I'd say).
Stiffer spiders will have a massive difference in CMS from no play time to several minutes at full stroke. Of course playing them hard at first shouldn't damage them.
Also, this: Untitled Document

You can believe in Santa Clause too, it doesn't make it real. Just look at your punchline and think about how non-scientific that sounds. Total snake oil.

We are not talking about an electric motor or hydraulics (though I suspect many would argue against the need of break in there either). 80% of the softening of suspension will happen within seconds, and that is ALL that happens is the suspension softens a little bit, over time, through normal use.

Fi is not one of the companies notorious for building woofers that fail and then blaming it on "you didn't break it in" to not honor warranty. (Audioque sort of made this move famous)

Again, the data I've seen shows that stretching the suspension most dramatically changes TSPs in the first half a minute, then from there they get softer at a much slower rate pretty much through their whole life. I will maintain that without precision test equipment you would be hard pressed to notice a change of 10% in the values that change and I would further suggest that you'd probably potentially have as much varience from one speaker to another just off the assembly line due to manufacturing intolerances.

Of course if it makes you feel better use whatever magic ritual you feel makes your subs sound better or whatever it is this is supposed to accomplish. Might I suggest a 24 hz tone since they say 8hz is the resonance of the earth and we then have a third wave of that (sounds pretty good huh?). Then you can play it for no more and no less than 88 minutes (since 88 is good luck in Asian countries where they make most of these woofers and parts).

While this is happening you can dress in a raincoat and dance around the car banging the largest pot you have in your kitchen with a wooden spoon chanting "say it now and say it loud, I am gay and I am proud!"

How's that for a good bit of snake oil? Much like the rest of this nonsense, will it help (probably just make you look silly for doing it), but it won't hurt, do it if it makes you feel better.
Very funny. You should go find a job as a stand up comedian. I do what I do because a few bucks in spent fuel can't hurt my pocket, and I can start listening and tuning right away.. instead of thinking "is my mind playing tricks on me, or does it change the sound?" every day for weeks. 2 hours of burn in run with a test tone is equivalent to many many hours of run time with music content I usually listen. Dressing and dancing clearly doesn't work, plus it actually takes effort.

What u posted says it all playing them hard at first should not damage them.. So if it want damage them I think its safe to say break in is not needed.
I was just confirming that break-in is real. People who scoff at the idea of break-in just because it can't possibly be real are the ones who were supposed to read it. Like I said, I haven't found anything that says there's a certain way to break-in your drivers.

Very funny. You should go find a job as a stand up comedian. I do what I do because a few bucks in spent fuel can't hurt my pocket, and I can start listening and tuning right away.. instead of thinking "is my mind playing tricks on me, or does it change the sound?" every day for weeks. 2 hours of burn in run with a test tone is equivalent to many many hours of run time with music content I usually listen. Dressing and dancing clearly doesn't work, plus it actually takes effort.

We already established that compliance will continue to soften for the entire life of the driver. I still maintain that the change after the first few minutes is negligible and probably inaudible (can you hear one or two tenths of a db, or the difference of 1.5 to 2hz in tuning?) If you really do have that magic ear you will have to continue tweaking through the whole life of the woofer as the suspension most definitely keep softening.

Again, if it makes you feel better, do it. The whole mythology surrounding the idea and all these theories about how to "properly" do it seem as much superstitious ritual as my raincoat method.

I was just confirming that break-in is real. People who scoff at the idea of break-in just because it can't possibly be real are the ones who were supposed to read it. Like I said, I haven't found anything that says there's a certain way to break-in your drivers.
We confirmed that TSPs change over the life of a speaker as suspension softens. We did NOT prove that this "breaking in" is needed to prevent premature failure of a woofer, and we certainly did not prove that a difference of 10% in TSPs is even audible or much more than you would get from one driver to the next through normal manufacturing tolerances.

Take your favorite modeling software and throw in a typical car audio woofer. Move Q and Vas up 10% and Fs down 10% and compare the two curves. I bet very very few people could tell the difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.