Budget SQ sub?

octopunch

boston
This is my first time doing anything with card audio. I don't need the loudest I can get, but want to get good quality low bass for

I'm looking at speakers like dayton RSS315HO-4, but its $150. But maybe I'm better off getting 2 12s with lower power? Dayton has a 250w rms 12'' for $80. Don't know much about speakers, just saw those being mentioned here.

As for the enclosure would a sealed one make sense? I could buy a sealed enclosure online, which would be easy. But it seems like ported ones need to be just the right size, meaning I'd have to build one myself.. Would a ported enclosure tuned low be better? I have a 2012 Maxda 3, want to put it in the trunk facing the seats, the measurements are below:

Number of subs preferred: 1-2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12

Budget:

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): 1000w (looking at PPI P1000.1 as people seem to recommend it here)

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 16''h x 28''d x 41''w

Goals: Good sounding, low bass

Listening habits: mix of hip hop / electronic

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: none, but like the look of the daytons because they're just plain black.

Facing the seats is the worst position you can have the subs in. Always face the rear of the trunk if its in a trunk car. you can go sealed thats fine. A single dayton HO 15 would be good on that power. Build a ported box.

Tune around 32 to 35hz for your genre. Electronic doesnt hit that low and hip hop doesnt go too low either. Mostly bass re-made music actually goes down below 30hz.

Free box designs here. Go with 3.5 cubic feet or around there.

*OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

Technically you can do two 15s too with that space

e7PAu.jpg

The Dayton's would be a solid choice for sure. Others here will put it down, but the Polk MM series would be a good choice as well for a budget system. Price rolls in around $125 per sub. I've several installs with them and they've always sounded great. Very clean and a nice powerful reach into the low end. The higher Dayton's would probably be better, but there's an inbetween option for you.

The big key is going to be the box for you system. Doesn't matter what sub you have if your install is bad, it won't sound good. If you can't build one yourself, find a shop thatll help you out and really listen to your needs. When I first did my system the shop let me model the box with them on winisd to find the sweet spot.

I built my substage for just over 300 when I did it and to the average listener its more than loud enough and most comment on how clean it sounds. Its an entry level system compared to what everyone else has, but it works very well. If you can afford it, something like one Sundown E12 or SA12 would fit in a great box for you size limits. You'd just have to shell out a bit more for a good amp.

Otherwise, pick any decent entry level sub. And focus on the install, install, install. Proper box volume, clean power (not lots of power, I hit near 138 on ~500w which is plenty for most people), good phasing with your mids and highs, and good sub orientation.

That'll be the best bet to getting a solid system on a tight budget.

As a side note, check out the JBL GTO entry line too.

Facing the seats is the worst position you can have the subs in. Always face the rear of the trunk if its in a trunk car.
Interesting, thanks for the link, I guess building my own ported box to one of those designs would give me a better setup than a sealed box? I don't mind the building process, just don't want to mess the design up.

I'll take a look at those other options, thinking of ordering on black friday, so maybe some of them will have sales...

Interesting, thanks for the link, I guess building my own ported box to one of those designs would give me a better setup than a sealed box? I don't mind the building process, just don't want to mess the design up.
I'll take a look at those other options, thinking of ordering on black friday, so maybe some of them will have sales...
those designs are fine. Definitely wait till black Friday and see what offers all the retailers have.

Facing the seats is the best SQ orientation IF you seal off the front of the box to the opening behind the seats. you also want to close off the rear deck.

the reason is simple - SQ means minimizing phase interference due to reflections.

facing back causes phase interference due to reflections in the trunk and the resulting constructive and destructive interference. some notes will be louder than others - which is SPL, not SQ.

facing forward without sealing the opening will also result in phase interference, but at lower frequencies and cancellation is at lower frequencies.

UltraSubs A-12 is $130 and an awesome SQ sub. I had a lot of success with it - plenty of output, bass in the front sound stage, even response, natural response... all facing forward in my trunk (IB).

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-speaker-reviews/563912-ultra-subs-12-12-subwoofer-ib-ready.html

the next best location is the passenger rear corner - this is because the trunk corner provides several reflections that are in-phase with the original output. in my current setup, i run a sealed Hertz Mille ML3000 12" facing the rear passenger corner.

in general, corner loading is ideal when you can't seal off the rear seat trunk opening.

The Dayton is a fine sub to use, assuming you can get enough power at 4 ohms. A monoblock amp makes the most power at lower impedance loads. As long as you match impedance load and the amp, you can be successful. A pair of 12" 4 ohm subs lets you get more power out of the amp and should be louder than a single 15.

Facing the seats is the worst position you can have the subs in.
you didn't clarify that, and it's important to note. IB and sealing off the trunk are always worth mentioning in an SQ build, budget or not.

my 2001 accord was a budget build for most of it's life. IB for most of that time.

and rear corner is better than behind the seats firing back in every instance. the latter is peaky and unnatural, boomy and inaccurate. rear corner is just as loud but more accurate - though more ideal for a single sub. if two, the both corners should be used. this also allows continued use of the ski pass or folding the seats down for moving stuff. form and function!

I have a HO110w6v3 JL in a Honda Civic and it is very much sound quality. Might be a bit above your budget but I keep the box which is ported pressed against my backseats facing the trunk exit and I leave one seat down . Seems to slam hard and sound deeper this way. Good luck and let us know what you go with and what you've found to work best for you.

PS: just saw the sub on crutch field , 100$ off so 499$ fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently run a Boston Acoustics G5 and if you can find one they are a real treat. You don't need a lot of power to get it moving thanks to the super light moving mass. Great SQ as well and it has plenty ability to get loud.

I forgot to ask, the ppi 1000w, that won't require any more batteries or a bigger alternator right? I found online people talk about "big 3" (which I guess is essentially just adding some big *** wires). Think that would be necessary? Its just a mazda 3, 2012, the battery is a year old.

I'm definitely going to build my own ported box. What would sound better, 2 cheaper 12''s like the JBL gt5-12, or one higher quality 12-15'' inch like the dayton?

Facing the seats is the best SQ orientation IF you seal off the front of the box to the opening behind the seats. you also want to close off the rear deck.
the reason is simple - SQ means minimizing phase interference due to reflections.

facing back causes phase interference due to reflections in the trunk and the resulting constructive and destructive interference. some notes will be louder than others - which is SPL, not SQ.

facing forward without sealing the opening will also result in phase interference, but at lower frequencies and cancellation is at lower frequencies.

UltraSubs A-12 is $130 and an awesome SQ sub. I had a lot of success with it - plenty of output, bass in the front sound stage, even response, natural response... all facing forward in my trunk (IB).

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-speaker-reviews/563912-ultra-subs-12-12-subwoofer-ib-ready.html

the next best location is the passenger rear corner - this is because the trunk corner provides several reflections that are in-phase with the original output. in my current setup, i run a sealed Hertz Mille ML3000 12" facing the rear passenger corner.

in general, corner loading is ideal when you can't seal off the rear seat trunk opening.
for the most part.. i agree

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.