Building the top notch SQ system

lol are you high? This is entertaining. After you do the deadening/decoupling, see about getting a processor...maybe just playing with the sound stage is all you need.
Maybe. I'm pretty new to this. My Optima was my first build. The lady needed some bass once I got mine started, so she has a budget build that was only 200ish.

What are good materials for deadening? The link posted above had the guy using 1" think compressed Fibergalass ceiling tile for absorption, DXT II for deadening, and I think he used MLV? for a barrier? and CFF? for a water seal?

I understand the fiberglass and DXTII. But why is the MLV used for a barrier, why is a barrier needed? and what exactly is CCF (google gave me some foundations to donate to. I don't think that goes in my car.)

Maybe. I'm pretty new to this. My Optima was my first build. The lady needed some bass once I got mine started, so she has a budget build that was only 200ish.
What are good materials for deadening? The link posted above had the guy using 1" think compressed Fibergalass ceiling tile for absorption, DXT II for deadening, and I think he used MLV? for a barrier? and CFF? for a water seal?

I understand the fiberglass and DXTII. But why is the MLV used for a barrier, why is a barrier needed? and what exactly is CCF (google gave me some foundations to donate to. I don't think that goes in my car.)
You should look through the keep_hope_alive build thread, I think he mentions everything he used in there.

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

Wait until you have your next vehicle to buy anything.

You should look through the keep_hope_alive build thread, I think he mentions everything he used in there.
I did, that is the post I was referring to. This one here: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html. This is something I feel I need to do, but I just don't do things to do things, I'd like to know why. What exactly am I looking to change? and what do some of these materials do.

He used the BSTII for deadening. I understand that. What I don't understand is why he put it on in patches and not the whole door. If you don't need to do the whole door, is there a science to where it needs placed? or is just having it spread out across the door in patches do the work? here is his picture:

accorddoors001.jpg
Not sure how to change the picture size.

He mentions that the fiberglass ceiling tile will be used for absorption. I understand that.

But, why does it matter if the factory barrier is thin? what does this do for the music? Why do we need to use MLV?

Its not that I'm saying anything he is doing is wrong, because IDK. I'm just trying to be educated on why we do some of the things we do. I know it makes things better, but why does it? That way I can be educated and continue to pass the information along.

Also. My doors have ports for the speakers. I'll take a pic next time I have the door apart. There is nothing like it in the posted pic above.

I did, that is the post I was referring to. This one here: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html. This is something I feel I need to do, but I just don't do things to do things, I'd like to know why. What exactly am I looking to change? and what do some of these materials do.
He used the BSTII for deadening. I understand that. What I don't understand is why he put it on in patches and not the whole door. If you don't need to do the whole door, is there a science to where it needs placed? or is just having it spread out across the door in patches do the work? here is his picture:

accorddoors001.jpg
Not sure how to change the picture size.

He mentions that the fiberglass ceiling tile will be used for absorption. I understand that.

But, why does it matter if the factory barrier is thin? what does this do for the music? Why do we need to use MLV?

Its not that I'm saying anything he is doing is wrong, because IDK. I'm just trying to be educated on why we do some of the things we do. I know it makes things better, but why does it? That way I can be educated and continue to pass the information along.

Also. My doors have ports for the speakers. I'll take a pic next time I have the door apart. There is nothing like it in the posted pic above.
If you know proper techniques you can use 25% coverage instead of 100% coverage and achieve basically the same results. Mainly just cover big areas with lots of resonance and flex.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.

SQ success is 80% install and tuning and 20% equipment.

Read all you can on Diyma.com (with a grain of salt) and Sound Deadener Showdown.

Check out Mark Klett on Youtube as well.

Ps Don't be afraid to buy used gear. One of the best ways to make it more affordable.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
SQ success is 80% install and tuning and 20% equipment.
I think this is only partially true, at best. Sh*tty speakers, and components in general, will not sound good with any amount of treatment, installation expertise, or processing. Some vehicles are more audio friendly than others. Saying equipment is only 20% means that you can cover up almost all drawbacks of subpar components with a good install. This is false. Just because you have no rattling, vibration, and you've done all the processing in the world, doesn't mean it's going to sound good. I think it's 80% equipment and 20% install. Equipment will get you to a certain level and you just need to complete the job to get the most out of it.

I think this is only partially true, at best. Sh*tty speakers, and components in general, will not sound good with any amount of treatment, installation expertise, or processing. Some vehicles are more audio friendly than others. Saying equipment is only 20% means that you can cover up almost all drawbacks of subpar components with a good install. This is false. Just because you have no rattling, vibration, and you've done all the processing in the world, doesn't mean it's going to sound good. I think it's 80% equipment and 20% install. Equipment will get you to a certain level and you just need to complete the job to get the most out of it.
80% equipment. Is that why you have great stuff but can't get a sound stage? Or is it because you have a PS8 and no idea how to use it?

Yes I flamed you. It was long overdue.

In a home audio environment where you have much better stereo recievers and the ability to put speakers in enclosures then, it can be 20% equipment and 80% install. In a car audio environment, there's only soo much you can do to polish a turd, in the end it's still a turd. i'd say 50/50. Cant have one without the other.

[quote name='trumpet']Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown
Wait until you have your next vehicle to buy anything.[/QUOTE]

anybody have experience with ordering a vehicle kit from here? or should i just piece it myself? they have a kit for my truck which i am planning on doing a sq type system in it. it cabin is super noisy and my engine is as loud as a diesel truck, it probably does like 145dbs no joke.

@keep_hope_alive any insight on this? i will be following your every move in the accord build.

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener ShowdownWait until you have your next vehicle to buy anything.
I do plan on having my vehicle for the next few years, or even until I pay the loan off. Having a "more luxurious" ride would greatly change how long I'd like to have this vehicle. Your link brought new light. Like just how noisy my car is. If I'm not playing music, I CAN HEAR EVERYTHING from the outside, even with the windows up. This could greatly increase the quality of the ride, even with no music playing.

It is my only personal line of transportation, so I likely will not be parking my car until its done. But, this is interesting. I'd personally like to get the most SQ out of my current system, trial and error so my next build can be done to perfection. But, IDK if I wanna do this because it looks like another high priced project. Maybe I can start piecing it.

80% equipment. Is that why you have great stuff but can't get a sound stage? Or is it because you have a PS8 and no idea how to use it?
Yes I flamed you. It was long overdue.
That's not flaming. I have great stuff and a great sound stage, just lack point of reference because I just haven't heard many quality systems. You're filled with empty statements and maturity of a teenager. Care to make any more statements without ever having heard my car? Just because I've asked for advice about PS8 means I don't know how to use it? Do you even know what the learning curve for that thing is? Why don't you put that arrogant brain of yours to work and offer something of substance. I've been respectful to you so far, though it's been hard, but if you're trying to do word play with me, you're fighting a losing battle and we can start filling people's threads with pages of garbage.

So you bought nice stuff, spent weeks trying to get the MS-8 right and now you're the SQ god? You're 34? Start acting like it all the time, not just when your wife's watching.

[quote name='C1500martin']anybody have experience with ordering a vehicle kit from here? or should i just piece it myself? they have a kit for my truck which i am planning on doing a sq type system in it. it cabin is super noisy and my engine is as loud as a diesel truck, it probably does like 145dbs no joke.

@keep_hope_alive any insight on this? i will be following your every move in the accord build.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I can meet up with @keep_hope_alive as he is in the QC to see his builds :) and I agree with him, in the QC (and probably anywhere) security is very important. Buddy of mind just got his whole system stolen about a week or two ago.

I have great stuff and a great sound stage, just lack point of reference because I just haven't heard many quality systems.
Thats mostly my problem. I've heard loud, very loud, much louder than what i have. But, I don't think it sounded good. They had stock speakers and huge subs. The door speakers sounded super, IDK, distorted? kinda has a whop whop whop sound to them, and they sound like the go in and out really fast. You know what I'm saying? and the bass most definitely wasn't clean. But everyone who listens to mine wants it to be loud like that (they don't say anything bad, they just say it should be loud by that), but that isn't what I'm going for. I haven't heard a good SQ build to know what I'm really up against... I just need to hit up some shows or something. Then figure out what I need to tweak.

In tearms of what I have personally heard, I haven't heard anything cleaner, and I haven't heard anything as clean and as loud as mine. Even when the bass levels of other systems I've heard are at about the same volume, they don't have the level of clarity, from the doors or the subs.

Thats mostly my problem. I've heard loud, very loud, much louder than what i have. But, I don't think it sounded good. They had stock speakers and huge subs. The door speakers sounded super, IDK, distorted? kinda has a whop whop whop sound to them, and they sound like the go in and out really fast. You know what I'm saying? and the bass most definitely wasn't clean. But everyone who listens to mine wants it to be loud like that (they don't say anything bad, they just say it should be loud by that), but that isn't what I'm going for. I haven't heard a good SQ build to know what I'm really up against... I just need to hit up some shows or something. Then figure out what I need to tweak.
Yeah, it's kind of hard to know where you're going if you've never been there. Reading about sound stage is one thing, implementing is another. Since you've got time, see what you can listen to so you know the goal. I've been doing everything largely from reading papers, reviews, forums, and trial/error. I've met a few guys from the forum here and that's a great asset to have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.