C-pilllar wall in the Jeep

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Summer project. I've been posting in another forum which turned into a shitstorm about the wood I'm using, so I'll post pics here to keep everything somewhat together.

IMG_1263_zps0150fe38.jpg%20

IMG_1266_zpsfc875ff8.jpg%20

IMG_1267_zps330b7d9a.jpg%20

IMG_0294_zps0cc475fe.jpg

IMG_0299_zps8ede3936.jpg

I'm not trying to start a shitstorm here but is that plywood? Don't get me wrong, it looks nice I was just wondering why use that. Also, is that paint bedliner? Does that help make that box stronger?

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

this is looking real nice by the way

I'm not trying to start a shitstorm here but is that plywood? Don't get me wrong, it looks nice I was just wondering why use that. Also, is that paint bedliner? Does that help make that box stronger? 

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

this is looking real nice by the way
The wood is OSB. Everything is being coated with epoxy (including between layers of the sheets) and the paint is just krylon spraypaint. I plan to carpet most of it eventually when I get near a city with a fabric store.

I've been told by reliable sources that particle board painted with resin is = MDF painted with resin on the meter. The theory is that porous wood like this soaks in more epoxy resin. My first pick would have been particle board but they don't have that at my local lumber company and they did have a good deal on this OSB which I've seen in a couple very loud builds locally to be solid.

IMG_0449_zps41e2d98e.jpg%20

IMG_0450_zps0942fe8a.jpg%20

IMG_0451_zps6082a2f3.jpg%20

IMG_0452_zps7bb46971.jpg

This Sky High 2/0 gauge wire is ridiculously over-sized. Normal 2/0 welding cable fits into the JBL no problem, this needed significant trimming. The wire split in half filled both the 1/0 holes in my toolmaker inputs. Would definitely recommend Sky High cable.

Still need to finish some things off but there's some thunderstorms coming and I have to get some work done tonight. Initial testing I'm very happy. It feels louder than I expected it would and the frequency response is about what I was after. Still need to really see how loud it can go and take a look at what flexing issues I have that can be fixed (with the vehicle, not the box). I do plan to carpet all or most of this and I'd love to add another battery or two if I can find room since I know voltage is an issue with that crown amp on only 4 batteries.

Will update from here as I clean things up more and do some real testing.

Thanks to Shocker Mike and Will at Makeitlouder.com for their great advice, and big thanks to Russ (Gumby688) for coming over today to help me with the things that I couldn't handle alone.

IMG_0449_zps41e2d98e.jpg%20
IMG_0450_zps0942fe8a.jpg%20

IMG_0451_zps6082a2f3.jpg%20

IMG_0452_zps7bb46971.jpg

This Sky High 2/0 gauge wire is ridiculously over-sized. Normal 2/0 welding cable fits into the JBL no problem, this needed significant trimming. The wire split in half filled both the 1/0 holes in my toolmaker inputs. Would definitely recommend Sky High cable.

Still need to finish some things off but there's some thunderstorms coming and I have to get some work done tonight. Initial testing I'm very happy. It feels louder than I expected it would and the frequency response is about what I was after. Still need to really see how loud it can go and take a look at what flexing issues I have that can be fixed (with the vehicle, not the box). I do plan to carpet all or most of this and I'd love to add another battery or two if I can find room since I know voltage is an issue with that crown amp on only 4 batteries.

Will update from here as I clean things up more and do some real testing.

Thanks to Shocker Mike and Will at Makeitlouder.com for their great advice, and big thanks to Russ (Gumby688) for coming over today to help me with the things that I couldn't handle alone.
Was my pleasure always a good time hanging out working on crazy **** like this. Thanks for the ******* lunch/dinner afterwards.

EDIT and yeah Sky High is bad *** glad I thought to bring my extra for ya to try out.

That amp looks like a photoshop. One big mofo!

Also, it looks like you are building the box in a tornado debris field //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :)

Also also, could you flip the amp over to shorten your cable runs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.