can i use a smaller fuse

Participant count
  • Participant list

perfecxionX
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
indianapolis
I'm installing an ap30001d (3kw@2ohm) along with an asa600.4(100@4ohm x 4). I have one 1/0 wire running from the battery, and have a knukonceptz distro block that is only fused with a 120amp fuse (http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-12). The 30001 amp handbook calls for a 200 amp fuse.

The problem: i cant get a mini anl fuse over 150amps and the distroblock wasn't built for 1/0 output.

My question: If i run the amp at 4ohm (1800@4) with the gain kept pretty low is it alright if i use this small 120 amp fuse and 4 gauge power wire?

I'm just trying to come up with a temporary solution until i can figure something else out and order the necessary parts. I guess my question really is about how the amperage draw on an amplifier works. Can i avoid problems like blowing fuses by wiring at a higher impedance and keeping the volume and gain settings low enough?

if i cant do it this way, i think im going the ghetto route
This almost sounds like you dont intend to use a fuse. Not a good idea. Since we all know that you understand the dangers of using too small of wire then it should be ok for TEMPORARY. Damage is usually done when you run things for extended periods of time.... in other words.... your wire will not fry instantly. Instead it will slowly melt the insulation and then eventually short.

untitled-2.jpg

if ur using it temporarily then just dont set the gains so high. U might not be getting all the power u can out of the amp but its just to get the system going. Just dont keep pushing it harder and harder trying to get it louder with the setup u have right now. Running it at a higher resistance doesn't really change the current draw that much.

if ur using it temporarily then just dont set the gains so high. U might not be getting all the power u can out of the amp but its just to get the system going. Just dont keep pushing it harder and harder trying to get it louder with the setup u have right now. Running it at a higher resistance doesn't really change the current draw that much.
the amp would do 1800@4x1 for a Q, so the gain would have to be quite low

is there even a distro block that does 1/0 input, with 1 1/0 output and 1 8 gauge output?
I don't think this would make sense.

You'd be feeding the distro block with a certain amount of power, and then expecting to be able to draw more power than that after the distro block.

Well, OK it's logical that you could do it ... but I don't think manufacturers make stuff that way, because of what I said.

All the distro blocks I see have a certain size input, and then the outputs are smaller; i.e. Two 4 gauge inputs and four 8 gauge outputs here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.