Can too much box volume cause issues?

Fabian12

CarAudio.com Recruit
Recently got ahold of a Zv.5 15 and a custom box tuned for 32hz, (ported obviously). My question is will a 6.5-7cuft box produce any negative effects? I think its recommended the sub has 4.5-5 Cuft. Im having a hard time getting 150-200hz notes to sound like they got some depth, so Im grasping at straws here
the lows are absolutely crazy though

Last edited:
Recently got ahold of a Zv.5 15 and a custom box tuned for 32hz, (ported obviously). My question is will a 6.5-7cuft box produce any negative effects? I think its recommended the sub has 4.5-5 Cuft. Im having a hard time getting 150-200hz notes to sound like they got some depth, so Im grasping at straws here
Too big of a box will be like playing it on an infinite baffle. A quick look at custom boxes for that sub has them at 4.25cubes net with 32/34Hz tune.

I'm running a sealed box and and don't get cleanly that high...in a ported box I'd think that's really wishful thinking...

Seriously though...set your hpf to like 60 or 70hz (whatever sounds best for your subs)...then do a front sub or beefy midbasses to handle from where your hp crossover point to 200hz...subs just aren't designed to play a wide range especially when in a ported box

Last edited:
Your subwoofer playing 150-200hz? :unsure:
Its hard to guess frequency ranges by ear, I dont have any references to get the exact frequencies. I switched from Skar to Sundown, and Im sure Skar's frequency range is much higher, and thats the reference im using, songs and higher notes played on the old drivers sounded crisp and had depth. And thats what im trying to get back, I guess I need to get some midbass speakers to get there

Seriously though...set your hpf to like 60 or 70hz (whatever sounds best for your subs)...then do a front sub or beefy midbasses to handle from where your hp crossover point to 200hz...subs just aren't designed to play a wide range especially when in a ported box
Okay, well then ive got the sub tuned about as best as Im gonna get it then. Ill look into getting prva midbass speakers
I'm running a sealed box and and don't get cleanly that high...in a ported box I'd think that's really wishful thinking...
Only other reference I have is with lower quality subs like skar and similar which put some depth into higher notes that too. 150-200hz mightve been a highball estimate for what im going for. its hard to figure out exactly what freq. im going for without proper equipment.

Last edited:
Ill look into getting prva midbass speakers

Just a suggestion but these will sound better than prv for about the same price

Its hard to guess frequency ranges by ear, I dont have any references to get the exact frequencies. I switched from Skar to Sundown, and Im sure Skar's frequency range is much higher, and thats the reference im using, songs and higher notes played on the old drivers sounded crisp and had depth. And thats what im trying to get back, I guess I need to get some midbass speakers to get there
Just play some test tones from 20hz up to 200hz. You will see where your subs play well and where they don't.

The 4ohm silverflute 6.5" speakers posted above are outstanding. I ran a pair and they move some air. Great midbass.

Just play some test tones from 20hz up to 200hz. You will see where your subs play well and where they don't.

The 4ohm silverflute 6.5" speakers posted above are outstanding. I ran a pair and they move some air. Great midbass.
are midbass speakers supposed to be inside a box? or can I mount them above my trunk like regular 6.5s?

You need something more like a pro audio woofer. You want a really light Mms with a lower Fs. Idk how much loudness vs range you want, but a tapped t-line may help response from a bandwidth perspective. There’s different ways to do what you described in the opening post, so it just depends on where you want to sacrifice. I don’t think that sub is really meant to play that high. That fat f*cking surround is kind of a sign lol.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...