Car audio vets, what do you think of this system?

kopimon
10+ year member

nor jerz
I visited a local car customization shop to ask about an audio system. I walked out with the following system priced out:

Two pairs of Image Dynamics XS65 for front and rear ($479 ea)

Rockford Fosgate Punch 4x100 amp ($350)

Rockford Fostage Punch 1x500 amp ($350)

Kicker CVT-10 sub ($250)

Audio Controls digital processor ($350)

custom built fiberglass sub box ($800)

all the wires ($200)

Total: $3500 installed

I'm not crazy about the RF punch series, especially at that price (although it includes labor). I'm thinking an MTX Thunder 500 or 3401 for the sub (I don't want it to pound hard, just produce tight bass). I might spring for an Image Dynamics 450.4 amp instead of the Punch to drive the components.

I definitely don't like the $250 price point on the Kicker sub as I've found it online for $90. Maybe an MTX or an Infinity reference instead?

Does anyone here have any experience with Audio Controls processors? I may go with a Re-Q5 and use the savings for a better 4ch amp, like the 450.4.

Is $800 for labor on the sub box too much?

What do you guys think? Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to enter any car shows with this system. I want it to sound noticeably better than stock, but I don't have finely tuned hearing that would benefit from a super-expensive system.

I'm looking for tight bass, don't really need it to blow the windows out or make the rear deck rattle like a mofo. My priorities in terms of quality and price are component speakers, signal processor, 4ch amp, sub and amp (in that order).

You could save so much money buying online, and installing yourself. I'm sure members here would help, as long as you bought the beer, and lunch.

rediclious. and i would not buy any of those amps even at lower prices.

but if you do not feel comfertable installing the equipment yourself then you will end up paying a lot of money for the install anyway.

I'd pass on that. Only thing I'd keep are the ID XS65's. If the amps were the power ones, then I'd say keep those, but they are also quite huge. You can do much better and $250 for a CVT is outrageous.

you have to except the prices from a custom shop to be crazy, just get em off the internet,

or its easy to find what you want used, its much more worth it to buy used but in good condition when it comes to caraudio, in my opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.