Car only starts when jumped?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ls2poweredgoat
5,000+ posts

Womanizer
That's right. Had the alternator checked and new battery checked, both were fine. Since I changed my clutch this has been a problem. All my grounds are where they've always been.

Car does nothing when turned over, everything works but the car doesn't start. When jumped, she starts right up...but once jumper cables are disconnected...voltage drops stupid fast until about 8 volts, then the car dies.

Any ideas??

where are you connecting the jumper cables? if it is anywhere other than the battery, then you have a fuse, or fusible link that has fialed:D between the battery and the rest of the vehicle.

Had the battery charged at Autozone, car starts right up but voltage drops VERY slowly..but it's dropping. While running it sits around 12.5 volts, same as the output from the alternator.

Something is going on somewhere...the battery is brand new, and Autozone claimed to test it while I was gone. I'm going to take the battery somewhere else to get tested tomorrow.

you sure the battery terminals are connected thoroughly, i know it might sounds tupid but i had a problem with a car not starting and would when jumped.. the terminals were connected but they developed so much **** on em, it was stopping the connection

you sure the battery terminals are connected thoroughly, i know it might sounds tupid but i had a problem with a car not starting and would when jumped.. the terminals were connected but they developed so much **** on em, it was stopping the connection
They are spotless and are VERY tight.

Isn't it weird that the alternator is putting out 12.xx volts instead of 13+ volts??

I had the alternator tested at two different places...passed at both places.

They are spotless and are VERY tight.
Isn't it weird that the alternator is putting out 12.xx volts instead of 13+ volts??

I had the alternator tested at two different places...passed at both places.
if the alt is putting out 14+ on a bench, and 12.xx in the auto, then it is a wiring issue. is the alt + connected to the fuse box via a fusable link?

test the alt while running at the back of the alt, and then again at the other end of the + wire.

everything connected to the alt should be at 14+ volts. sounds like you have an alt fuse or fusable link in the line somewhere that is blown.

if the alt is putting out 14+ on a bench, and 12.xx in the auto, then it is a wiring issue. is the alt + connected to the fuse box via a fusable link?

test the alt while running at the back of the alt, and then again at the other end of the + wire.

everything connected to the alt should be at 14+ volts. sounds like you have an alt fuse or fusable link in the line somewhere that is blown.
Alternator has a power wire going straight to the battery...then a plug or w/e that goes in to a wiring harness....

voltage reg. maybe? My be incorporated into the ECM. If so you may need a new one. If external. it should be cheap.

If its messed up, it will not send the 14 volts to the battery, as it doesnt know the battery needs it.

Those other wires coming out of the alt...find out where they go and thats most likely it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.