Carputer 101

Jetway J7F3http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/itx.html

opus 80w with startup/shutdown controller
wow, i found it on ebay for a pretty decent price too. and you haven't experienced any power issues? a lot of people were gettin gpower bugs with jetway boards and supposedly the issue was solved. but if yours is running fine, then i guess i SHOULDN'T run into any problems. how long have you had the board?

well, if anyone is interested, here is the PSU that i have that runs off of 12V. You can see the specs in the pic. It has 7-4pin molex, 1-Floppy power, 1 20pin MB power and 1-4pin CPU power. I checked online and it is priced at $198 now. I got it for $178 a few years back. Make me an offer, If no takers, to ebay it goes.

12vPSU.jpg

I want to run an external HDD, but all the ones I saw claim they need another/external power source, which is A/C. And I will not put a power inverter to run one.

Anyone you guys running are powered by just USB or whatever?
TO use less power, get yourself a laptop 2.5" HD enclosure, USUALLY if it does require an external source, it will come with a USB cable that supplies the necessary 5 volts.

So with my external bay it came with a USB cable for transfer, and another usb cable for the 5v with a little small round plug. that goes into the bay for power.

external notebook drives generallly will get their full power from a usb2.0 port.

I want to run an external HDD, but all the ones I saw claim they need another/external power source, which is A/C. And I will not put a power inverter to run one.

Anyone you guys running are powered by just USB or whatever?
I picked up a Maxtor OneTouch mini portable HDD, powered off USB, works great for me.

I picked up a Maxtor OneTouch mini portable HDD, powered off USB, works great for me.
i grabbed a Coolmax cheapo off newegg for $20, just an enclosure, placed a 60gb in there worked fine at home, but when i took it to the car it wouldnt power up through the usb hub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif so now im using a the big ass 3.5 ones that run of a power outlet(using an inverter) im satisfied for the most part.

well, if anyone is interested, here is the PSU that i have that runs off of 12V. You can see the specs in the pic. It has 7-4pin molex, 1-Floppy power, 1 20pin MB power and 1-4pin CPU power. I checked online and it is priced at $198 now. I got it for $178 a few years back. Make me an offer, If no takers, to ebay it goes.
Does that have a built-in startup/shutdown controller?

Does that have a built-in startup/shutdown controller?
It is a normal computer power supply. it is controlled by the motherboard [power switch]. So you should need no start/reset other then that from a computer case that connects to the mother board. the start/reset switch of a computer is simply a "normally open" position and when pressed it closed a contact which then the motherboard tells the PSU to run on and they talk a bit and then powers the MB on. If you need a switched I can rip them off of cases I have laying around. or if you are going to build a car computer, simply get a micro ATX case and micro ATX MB and then you are set.

If anyone is interested please let me know otherwise I do have it on ebay but would choose to sell here first so make me an offer and I would cancel the auction. (I have it listed for $100 with a buy it now of $150).

as with any computer PSU, it can be turned on by shorting two wires (green and a ground). I have used 2 PSU's in a few of my computers and also have made some old PSU's into 12v power supplies for home and even with cigarette lighters in them to power car items such as Sirius radio that was too expensive to buy the home kit (or maybe i am too cheap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ).

hope that info helps a bit.

Most people with carputers prefer something with a built in startup/shutdown controller.
I would have to see the wiring that they do. I would guess you could do as i have said above and put a rocker type switch between green and a ground. this would then give a turn on command and I would assume the MB would have to give the OK to start.

When any computer starts it is the initiator. it send a signal the the PSU and then the PSU does its power state check and then gives an OK signal to the motherboard. If this OK signal is not made the computer will not start. By putting a rocker switch on the PSU you would also have to manually turn the PSU off when you are not using it. the computer should shut down but the PSU would remain on. I dont know, I have a headache //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif just trying to think right now.

you know, to make things simple, all you would have to do is run two wires (+,-) to a push button switch on or near the dash. this would be a Normally Open switch. you would press to start and could even set for a press to shut down windows. Thats the way I planned to do it anyway and i dont know why you would want to do it any way different as the motherboard actually controls the PSU not the other way around as most would think.

you know, to make things simple, all you would have to do is run two wires (+,-) to a push button switch on or near the dash. this would be a Normally Open switch. you would press to start and could even set for a press to shut down windows. Thats the way I planned to do it anyway and i dont know why you would want to do it any way different as the motherboard actually controls the PSU not the other way around as most would think.
I have mine tied into my remote start.

Start car, PSU boots up CPU 5 seconds after start. Shuts down after 5 seconds after car turned off, and cuts power after 2 hours. I'd hate to have to hit a switch every time, but I know of people that do this and have no problems with it.

Yeah. Took mine out. Broke the 3rd monitor. I am SICK of buying monitors. The motorized crap on them are just JUNK. The Lilliput, had a better pic, but it broke in 5 months. Just plain trash. If I learn how to do all the fiberglass work, I'll mold one in, until then, its out. Prolly gonna sell it. IDK...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...