CCA or Copper?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nateberrier
10+ year member

Douche, Ohio
What I gather from Knu's site is that the Copper Clad Al pushes just as much current and they have done this by adding extra wire to the cable. Everyone says its less flexible than copper but Im not really worried about that. Is this true? Is there any other downside other than maybe corrosion after a while?

Sort of depends on how much power your running/plan on running. CCA is rated for like 250A and OFC is 300A if I remember right. I personally wouldn't run more than 2kw on CCA, but if you can afford it, always go with OFC.

I was planning on 3-4kw eventually but right now Im looking for just big 3 on the chevette. I figured that CCA would be fine for short runs between the bat and alt

I was planning on 3-4kw eventually but right now Im looking for just big 3 on the chevette. I figured that CCA would be fine for short runs between the bat and alt
So your going to spending hundreds of dollars (probably thousands) to run a high power setup and your going to cheap out on the wire?

Just get the knu fleks you wont be disappointed, cca is for cheap asses who want the big wire look without the cost of the real thing or the performance. If you really are strapped for cash just get welding wire at least it isnt cca

Just get the knu fleks you wont be disappointed, cca is for cheap asses who want the big wire look without the cost of the real thing or the performance. If you really are strapped for cash just get welding wire at least it isnt cca
Strapped for cah get welding wire?? lol.. Welding wire Is higher and it is better then any audio wire.. Its legit copper and alot more conductive.. You have to buy it in bulk to get it for 3.50 for 2/0 which in all honesty isnt much bigger then knus 1/0.. jjust ugly as hell when you get black or orange insulation.. have to pay extra for colors

You will be fine with CCA. Just run more than one run.

Avg CCA at 18 foot is 250 amps, Avg OFC at 18 foo is 300 amps.

RMS = Voltage x Current

250 x 14.4 = 3600

300 x 14.4 = 4320

Net diff of 720 watts. Im sure he isnt going to run a single run of 1/0 to power more than 4,000watts to the amp. Specially since the run going from the rear battery to the amp might be all of 3 foot. Also any big amp over 4000RMS has DUAL 1/0 inputs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.