Cerwin Vega Vs. Sundown

They either didn't make amps back then, or we just didn't have them in our shop.
They did, I have one...

DSCN0133.jpg

If I remember correctly they were kinda expensive and weren't as popular as their subs. It's made in the US though.

Cool amp Wingman... I wish I would have kept some of my vintage gear. I had several Earthquake 4.5s, and a few Shredders. I had the Oz Superman comps, several Vega subs... a pair of old Alpine amps circa 1992, I also had a pair of the Orion HCCA's 15" from around 98'... wish I would have kept that stuff.

FYI.. The name Cerwin Vega has been around since the early 60s and has been specializing in bass for a loooooong time. They are one of the most prominent companies in the name of bass.
Started in 1954 to be exact

The old V-Flex Vega 8" were pretty **** bada$$
I am still running 1 15" Vega since 1999 & have been running it faithfully since then.

Your right about bada$$! Truly a very efficient LOUD & LOW sub for sure! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

I am definitely going with the Stroker amps. I found them locally for $600 a piece, but I'm buying a total of 4 amps, one sub and a compset from them, so they are cutting me a deal.

i would buy the cerwin vega amp. i like that it is not class D . its a class GH .

the cv stroker has the output section of a class A/B. and has the efficiency of a class D amp...(almost).//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif. . it will put out cleaner sound. total harmonic distortion is .02% . what class d amp can do that???

if you wanted to get away from the cookie cutter class D amps everybody is selling nowdays. i would try them out.

at least buy them to clamp and post the data...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

i would like to see a close up pic of the output section. mainly the 10 prong ic chip....

oh, and the cv was designed by robert zeff/ nikola engineering.... same people that make ARC,ZAPCO,CLARION....etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to read a half dozen reviews on the CV amps... each one mentioned how thes Strokers seemed "cleaner than most class D amps" they have tested. I also read that they were designed by Robert Zeff/Nikola... which played a big part in my decision.

I am working out of town, so the build itself will be turtle paced... but I should pick up the amps in a few weeks at the latest. I will post some pics.

I appreciate the info and input from everybody... I have to admit, I wasn't expecting the support for Cerwin Vega to be so onesided... I asked this same question elsewhere and received the same type of response. With Sundown being such a good quality product, it really speaks volumes about Cerwin Vega that after all these years they are still as well respected as they are after all these years. It is also great to see that a company like CV that has been around for such a long time has maintained support when so many companines have sold out and began making inferior products.

From amp to subs are a whole nother conversation though they have slacked off on their subs.
I read a review that stated the Vega was largely inactive from the late 90's until 2007 when the Mobile division was taken over by serious car stereo guys with the main focus of getting Cerwin Vega back on top of the car audio world.

I have been listening to a lot of their products lately. The Vega series subs are a pretty decent value, one of the better $70 price range subs I've heard, but nowhere near as good as the JBL GT5's that cost the same. The VMax series are excellent for the money, a very viable choice for anyone looking at the Type R or similar sub. The Stealth subs are severly lacking compared to Memphis and JL's shallow mount offerings... I felt like it was so much less of a subwoofer compared to the other shallow mounts I've heard, that someone would be better off not using a sub if it was their only choice. The Stroker has never impressed me. We did some crazy stuff with them when they were first introduced, and back then they were pretty killer... but other companies such as HiFonics with the PlanX, and Digital Designs came along and the Stroker became outdated pretty quickly. The old ones never sounded that great either. The new Stroker falls into the same catagory as the JL W7 for me... a good sounding sub with good output, but a lot better can be had for the money. They don't have the raw output for a SPL vehicle, or the sharp SQ to compete in that arena either... but they would make a decent daily driver that can handle tons of power on music for parking lot show offs. I truly think the new HED subs they offer are a step in the right direction. The Stroker should remain in the line up, but they need to build a truly innovative replacement for their flagship model (like they did with the original Stroker) and let the Stroker take the back seat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.