Cheap Audio System for car?

kenneyk843

Hi all, glad to be here. I've been doing my own car audio for a few years, but I'm here to ask a quick question. I just have my girlfriend my old car (1997 Chev Malibu LS) and I want to build her a cheap sound system that will sound a bit better than stock. I'll be leaving the stock speakers as they sound really decent for stock speakers (the rear 6x9's have a good sound) and I already installed an aftermarket deck. The deck I have in there is an Alpine head unit with USB input and iPod control, Bluetooth, Aux and CD. Had in in a couple vehicles and it's a great little deck. The car is wired for subs as I had my own subs and amp in there before, but took them out to put in my SUV. My question is before I go to find a box for the sub I have, will this setup give a little bit of a better thump than stock:

Jensen XS10 10" Sub ($1 at a garage sale)

Pyramid 300W Mono Amplifier (was given to me a few years ago)

Now I realize that neither of these are high quality, but actually bottom of the barrel, but she doesn't have much extra money to spend and I'm trying to make it cheap for her. I have both this sub and amp and just wondering if it will work decently to make the sound system a bit better. Thanks!

Hi all, glad to be here. I've been doing my own car audio for a few years, but I'm here to ask a quick question. I just have my girlfriend my old car (1997 Chev Malibu LS) and I want to build her a cheap sound system that will sound a bit better than stock. I'll be leaving the stock speakers as they sound really decent for stock speakers (the rear 6x9's have a good sound) and I already installed an aftermarket deck. The deck I have in there is an Alpine head unit with USB input and iPod control, Bluetooth, Aux and CD. Had in in a couple vehicles and it's a great little deck. The car is wired for subs as I had my own subs and amp in there before, but took them out to put in my SUV. My question is before I go to find a box for the sub I have, will this setup give a little bit of a better thump than stock:
Jensen XS10 10" Sub ($1 at a garage sale)

Pyramid 300W Mono Amplifier (was given to me a few years ago)

Now I realize that neither of these are high quality, but actually bottom of the barrel, but she doesn't have much extra money to spend and I'm trying to make it cheap for her. I have both this sub and amp and just wondering if it will work decently to make the sound system a bit better. Thanks!
It will definitely make noise. Whether it sounds decent or not...anyone's guess. The box is a big variable here, but I would have a hard time telling you to get a custom box for that sub. If you're going cheap, find a cheap prefab as well...go ported (go for those tuned lower, i.e.: 35Hz and below).

On another note, if you were a really good bf, you'd give her your sh*t lol

Something that sounds even half way decent is a few hundred dollars. A friend of mine has a pair of kickers for $100 a pair bought way back in a prefab box on a 600W amp. It is very decent and fairly loud...that combo was about $300. Custom built boxes is where it's at and that is usually a $150+ deal, even though some subs that go in it cost less than that, but it makes a world of difference.

Since you already have the stuff and not much money to work with, your only option would be to find a half decent ported prefab box for cheap.

Hook your GF up with some tunes..Check out some Pawn Shops..Youd be surprised what you can find..If you are really on a budget

Thanks guys! Yeah, I just finished University and she's just paying bills with her job as it is. I gave her the car (which has suprisingly low miles for an 18 year old car), so this is just extra. I had the amp lying around for a few years and it's pretty crappy and I know that Jensen is far from a good audio company but she doesn't really need much. I'd give her one of my two systems but they're a bit too much for her car (and the wiring that's in there :p). I'm on the hunt for a better system as we speak but at least for now if I can find a cheap box I'll put this in for a while until I find something better and then sell this for $20 haha.

Jensen is far from good, far from mediocre too. However, for girlfriends even some stock systems are more than enough for them so yeaah it doesnt matter, just toss it in.
Couldn't agree more. Although my system isn't much, it's way too much for her. I'd like to throw an 8 in her car, but Im scared a beefy 8 will be too much and a waste for her, lawl.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.