Clipping or not?

Rashaddd
5,000+ posts

Terrrrrist
Sacramento
HU at 50/62 (pioneer)

amp gain at ~2/3 (bxi2607)

~55-60 volts at 8 ohms is what I'm getting out of it (this is before any audible clipping while standing right in front of the sub)

Now, my HU has an SLA function which is a "signal level adjustment" or in other words, basically a gain on my HU, usually I have it at zero, but it can go to -4 or +4.

I noticed if I turn it to +4 my amp KIND OF sounds like its clipping but not too bad. From inside the car, it doesn't sound distorted at all, and it just gets SIGNIFICANTLY louder.

Now, in my experience, and from what I've read, when an amp starts clipping, it usually doesn't really make it sound any louder, it just makes it more distorted. But in this case, from inside the car at least, it sounds like I just threw another MJ or two back there when I turn that SLA to +4, and it moves ALOT more air/you feel it alot more/overall just hits way harder.

Voltage goes up to 70 btw

So do you think its clipping the **** out of my sub? or do you think its okay? Maybe its okay just when I'm tryin to show off (as in for only a couple minutes at a time)?

probally not good. But i really dont know. all I know is that I am clipping the **** outa both sets of my diamond componets right now so I'm going home to fix that now.

Also from what I heard setting gains with a DMM is BS anyways.

probally not good. But i really dont know. all I know is that I am clipping the **** outa both sets of my diamond componets right now so I'm going home to fix that now.
Also from what I heard setting gains with a DMM is BS anyways.
lol

oh and setting gains with a dmm is just a way for you to gauge how much you're throwing at your speakers, it wont help at all in determining clipping/distortion

btw at 55 volts, only giving the sub

and again, when I push it higher like this, it doesn't sound distorted in the car, and it gets ALOT louder

why should we help when you have already proven your audio knowledge with this little gem right here...

lol
oh and setting gains with a dmm is just a way for you to gauge how much you're throwing at your speakers, it wont help at all in determining clipping/distortion
personally, im suprised that you havent already been ripped to shreds, or listed in someones sig as tard of the month. because this, has been shear blissful ignorance on your part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

why should we help when you have already proven your audio knowledge with this little gem right here...

personally, im suprised that you havent already been ripped to shreds, or listed in someones sig as tard of the month. because this, has been shear blissful ignorance on your part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

you're so much more useful than I would expect anyone here to be

i never claimed to be useful...
i have helped people before, today is not your day for my help though. you are more fun to make fun of //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
then at least explain why my statement was so incredibly retarded...

the statement about setting gains with a DMM only be accurate for seeing how much power you are throwing at your speakers is just completely off base.

with a DMM and some simple math you can figure out how many volts your amplifier(s) should be putting out to achieve their rated power output. you can also tell when you get into power compression, which is the first sign of reaching maximum output at the point of clipping. slowly adjust the gain while watching the DMM, when the power being output stops rising or you get an start getting less output for the amount of gain adjustment you have been making, you are getting into power compression AKA clipping.

the DMM is a powerful tool that can tell you alot, including one half of how much power you are actually sending your speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . but that is not all it is limited to.

whew, i was feeling helpful. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A definition of SLA:

Allows you to independently adjust the volume ratio between all of the headunit's sources (using the FM volume level as a reference), so the start-up volume between sources will always be the same.

it may not be affecting the CD player volume at all, I would have to hear it.

the statement about setting gains with a DMM only be accurate for seeing how much power you are throwing at your speakers is just completely off base.
with a DMM and some simple math you can figure out how many volts your amplifier(s) should be putting out to achieve their rated power output. you can also tell when you get into power compression, which is the first sign of reaching maximum output at the point of clipping. slowly adjust the gain while watching the DMM, when the power being output stops rising or you get an start getting less output for the amount of gain adjustment you have been making, you are getting into power compression AKA clipping.

the DMM is a powerful tool that can tell you alot, including one half of how much power you are actually sending your speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . but that is not all it is limited to.

whew, i was feeling helpful. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
While a somewhat valid point, I believe this varies by amp/preamp signal alot. My old Visonik amp used to do exactly what you just described, which, yes, is a good indication that it is starting to clip. This amp however, as described, I can only set it to ~55-60 volts before I can clearly hear clipping, but I can keep turning the gain and get it all the way up to 80-90 volts (clipping the living **** out of the sub). Eitherway...my statement was nowhere near a 'retard of the month' comment...

A definition of SLA:
Allows you to independently adjust the volume ratio between all of the headunit's sources (using the FM volume level as a reference), so the start-up volume between sources will always be the same.

it may not be affecting the CD player volume at all, I would have to hear it.
Idk if thats a universal definition of it but it DEFINITELY is affecting my volume on both my CD and AUX. The manual for the HU also says that it simply adjusts the input level, basically the same way a gain knob on an amp does, in order to allow you to make up for things like cd's recorded at lower levels etc. Plus its clearly giving my preouts more voltage, considering my amp voltage goes from ~55 to ~70 volts when I turn it up

Idk if thats a universal definition of it but it DEFINITELY is affecting my volume on both my CD and AUX. The manual for the HU also says that it simply adjusts the input level, basically the same way a gain knob on an amp does, in order to allow you to make up for things like cd's recorded at lower levels etc. Plus its clearly giving my preouts more voltage, considering my amp voltage goes from ~55 to ~70 volts when I turn it up
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/121/tech/SourceLevelAdjuster.html

that should answer your question for you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.