Cold Weather VS. Amplifiers

rebelpride15
10+ year member

LBC, VA
I had a thought the other day about this cold weather we have now, and does it hurt your subwoofers and amp running them ice cold like when you get up in the mornin to leave??? And the same thing for everything else HU, highs, capacitors?

I've heard it can be bad for HU's, but amps should be fine. Subs may even benefit, since they won't heat up.

My girlfriend said " the sub don't work when its really cold(below zero)" when she takes my car to work sometimes but I have not had it do it to me and she said it didnt work at all not even a little bit So idk if my vfl has a low temp protect or it was something else or shes just nuts. Low power subs usually sound like crap in the cold, I usually let mine warm up a little before beating on it, I cant imagine the glue and suspension are liking the cold too much.

My stuff is fine and Chicago has been terrible as of late. My car with all of my gear in I just remote start every now and then and let it run down the 20 minute timer. Last year my red top and Kinetik HC800 froze, but my amps and subs were fine.

Today I had what sounded like engine noise through my subs when I first turned my HU on. Left the volume at 0 and it went away after about 20 seconds. Never had this happen before and its been pretty cold latley. First time I ever had an issue that could of resulted from the cold. I always let my stuff warm up at low volume before I crank it though.

i always start mine at low volume and play for just a bit like that before i hammer up the volume
You live in NC. 30-50 degrees is not cold //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

it shouldnt be bad. isnt there less resistance with the cold anyways? plus the alternator may run more efficiently. i cant imagine it being terrible for the amplifier but maybe for the sub if you crank it too soon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.