Completely Overwhelmed

Pro rabbit I will be getting in touch with you probably around October. Already sold my JH45's. Gonna sell the box as well and probably the Audiobahn amp as well so I can put all those funds towards putting dynamat in the trunk. I will miss my bump but it wasnt gettin it done for me anymore. The wait will be worth it.
Just let me know. A custom enclosure is always a great idea as even other already built custom enclosures may not have the correct space required or tuning for you application... sorry dbeez lol...but it is true haha

Prefab sealed boxes are usually fine, assuming they are built well and have the volume needed for your speakers. Internal volume is really the only applicable spec that varies performance in a sealed box (again assuming its built adequately). Ported boxes have a bit more complexity, as they also have a tuning frequency to add to the equation. But even then, assuming the box is built adequately, and the tuning/internal volume is right, prefab would be fine. Bandpass boxes are (relatively) much more complex, and slight variances from one sub brand/model to another can alter the required specs of a bandpass box very much, thus prefab bandpass boxes are almost always a failure.

Custom boxes, assuming the builder is competent, ensure the volume and tuning (if applicable) are correct. Many times custom enclosures also come with expereince, from the builder, that adds his/her personal touches to the box that can help the final performance of the product (such as cone loading on each sub in a shared-chamber ported setup, bracing, smoothing of the ports, etc). Custom boxes also ensure the box is built to fit your vehicle's dimensions well, which means improved aesthetics, ease of install, useable space after the install is complete, etc.

Pro-rabbit is a very knowledgeable builder and Id recommend using him if your budget and situation allow it.

Great forum here. Thanks very much guys.

I missed my bump so much I ended up picking up a pair of JH55's for temporary appeasement. They match up a little better with my amp. I'm going to focus on preparing the car for a big bump with dynamat, wire upgrades, battery upgrade, and of course that now-well-appreciated custom enclosure. Then I'll throw my big boys in there. With an upgraded battery and big three, can I just throw my 1-farad capacitor in the trash? After reading threads around here, I feel like it is practically useless.

I think I am going to go with the SA-12" and I'll go ahead and a get the SAZ1500d. I like the versatility the amp seems to possess and I really didn't have very good luck with my MTX6500D even though I appreciated its sound. I don't see enough praises being sung about the 1501d.

Thank you so much for all the input. I'll keep learning and try to pay it along.

:: NANOPULSER.COM.SG ::

Yes, the cap is practically worthless.

Also, please don't waste your money on Dynamat. It's a fine product, but it's just astoundingly over-priced. I personally, as well as many other members can vouch for the price and quality of AudioTechnix, which is a supporting vendor on this site. Other great and more affordable products are:

SounddeadenerShowdown: Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

Raammat: RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MakeItGoBANG

10+ year member
MakeItGoBANG
USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from