component wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list

kyleorsini
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
kay this is a dumb quesiton but im running my speaker wire thru my door and such so i can hook up my new 2 channel amp, on my RF crossover theres the input and output for the mid and tweet, so far i understand i run speaker wire from tweeter to xover tweet input and mid to xover mid input correct? (or is it to the output) then from the xover do i run my tweet and mid to the amp? on the amp theres only 4 speaker connections so i dont get what i have to do after the xover to hook it to the amp

kay this is a dumb quesiton but im running my speaker wire thru my door and such so i can hook up my new 2 channel amp, on my RF crossover theres the input and output for the mid and tweet, so far i understand i run speaker wire from tweeter to xover tweet input and mid to xover mid input correct? (or is it to the output) then from the xover do i run my tweet and mid to the amp? on the amp theres only 4 speaker connections so i dont get what i have to do after the xover to hook it to the amp
Run the tweeter to the tweeter output on the crossover, the mid to the mid output on the crossover and the input on the crossovers to the amp. I've never seen a 2 channel amp that supports 4 speakers. Are you counting each positive and negative as one speaker terminal? If there's 2 positive and 2 negative posts, the amp is a 2 channel. If it's got 4 of each, it's a 4 channel. Run the positive and negative from the crossover to the positive and the negative on the amp, respectively.

okay thanks for clearing the xover part, no theres 2 - and 2+ i just counted them as for sorrry lol.

but say for the left speaker on the xover i take the tweeter and mid pos and put it to one side of the pos on the amp and same for the neg, (have 2 wires into 1 connector?)

No, you run the mid and tweeter only to the crossover. Then the crossover to one of the channels on the amp. Do the same for the other side, but run it to the other channel. Be careful not to mix up left and right. Also, if your head unit is a Pioneer, turn the car off before you do anything with the RCAs.

Okay but then the tweeter won't be connected if I'm just using the mid on the input on the xover to amp, there's tweeter and mid connections on both in and out on the xover

Ahhhhh..... That crossover is bi-ampable. If you open it up, you'll see a switch. The default for the switch is off. The tweeter in is normally not used unless you're going to bi-amp. If you hook up just the mid to the amp with the switch set to off, you'll run them like a regular crossover. If you flip the switch, you'll have to use a 4 channel to power them. Hook the amp up to the mid in, the tweeter to tweeter out, and the mid to mid out. Open the crossover and make sure the switch is set to off.

Here's a pic of the crossover opened up.

rockfordxover.jpg

its alll hooked up frigg did that take long, it sounds great i have the gain barely up im gonna take it down to the shop i usually go to and have them help me with the settings and slope and such.

my amp has an internal fan its about as loud as a computer so its kinda quiet but it sounds like im getting the fan noise outta my speaker doesnt make sense it isnt engine/alt noise cuz the car wasnt on and i doubt it would be a ground loop, amps grounded to my battery and my sub amps grounded to the same place and my sub sounds fine. so i gotta figure that out

well it WAS working till i just went to get food turned my car on and a big f**king hiss, came out of my speakers so i have engine whine gotta try and fix that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

any tips you have to try and fix it?

my first attempt will be the rca cables then after that i dont know:(

well it WAS working till i just went to get food turned my car on and a big f**king hiss, came out of my speakers so i have engine whine gotta try and fix that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
any tips you have to try and fix it?

my first attempt will be the rca cables then after that i dont know:(
I'd ground the RCAs at the HU. Pioneers are notorious for blowing the pico fuse causing a bunch of alternator whine issues. You may have blown it. Grounding the RCAs is the cheapest, easiest fix for that. Since you have everything else grounded back to the battery, there's really nothing to sand down and reground. I'd try using a shorter ground in the trunk and make sure you prep the ground location before you ground it.

okay ill try my idea first then grounding the rca's how do i do that??

i doubt its any ground issue in the back as its never done this up untill now.

but ill have to figure it out tomorow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.