components and mid bass.

I'm getting items together for my 2004 F150 Supercrew. The doors will house 6x8's.

What are the pros and cons of running a 6x8 component set vs a 6.5" component set?

Which mid sub will do a better job? As you know I have a more selection of 6.5" sets than the 6x8's.

Thanks in advance. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

E. Martin

For this vehicle I recommend a 6.5" set that actually has a 6.7" midbass, if you are willing to fit a fairly large mid/tweeter custom mounted somewhere. You're right that there aren't many 6x8 component sets. Another point is midbass isn't just about the speaker, it's about treating the door as well. If you're looking for a lot of midbass you should budget for a few different sound deadening products.

For this vehicle I recommend a 6.5" set that actually has a 6.7" midbass, if you are willing to fit a fairly large mid/tweeter custom mounted somewhere. You're right that there aren't many 6x8 component sets. Another point is midbass isn't just about the speaker, it's about treating the door as well. If you're looking for a lot of midbass you should budget for a few different sound deadening products.
Got any part number's in mind?

Seal and deaden your doors if you want some good midbass. What's your budget for components?
I had planned on doing some deaden and sealing. I would like to keep it under say $250. Do you recommend components installed in the rear doors also?

If I can do something a little cheaper for the rear I can spend more on the fronts.

Thanks guys.

I had planned on doing some deaden and sealing. I would like to keep it under say $250. Do you recommend components installed in the rear doors also?If I can do something a little cheaper for the rear I can spend more on the fronts.

Thanks guys.
I'd do components front and coaxials rear

For under $250, I would consider nixing the rear fill idea and instead investing the whole budget into your front stage. For the price, I think it's really hard to beat the JBL P600C components. First, you get a 2-ohm component set, so getting the most out of amplification won't really be a problem. Second, they excel in midbass and, seeing as how you'll be deadening your doors, you'll be able to reap the full benefit of them.

That being said, if rear fill is a must, I would not suggest components as it'll pull your stage too far back and I think it'll end up frustrating you in the end. Coaxials, yes, but ONLY if you absolutely need speakers in the rear.

Other honorable mention would go to the Incriminator 6.5" components. Either way, you'll need to spend a little extra time and coin making a baffle out of MDF to cover up the remaining gap for the OEM speaker, but variety is significantly better when looking at 6.5" components instead of 6x8/6x9.

Got any part number's in mind?
The set I had in mind is CDT MX-2HD-2 for $449. It isn't listed online now but it's similar to this set: MX-3HD The potential for good midbass with a speaker that stays full covered by your factory door panel is excellent with this set, plus the midrange vocal clarity with the 2" mid/tweeter is beautiful. If you wanted to have a small tweeter to add some brightness and sparkle up top all of the MX Designs 2-way sets are ready to be upgraded to a 3-way.

The set I had in mind is CDT MX-2HD-2 for $449. It isn't listed online now but it's similar to this set: MX-3HD The potential for good midbass with a speaker that stays full covered by your factory door panel is excellent with this set, plus the midrange vocal clarity with the 2" mid/tweeter is beautiful. If you wanted to have a small tweeter to add some brightness and sparkle up top all of the MX Designs 2-way sets are ready to be upgraded to a 3-way.
I would love to have them, but they are outta my budget for now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.