Cone getting warm

Hey everyone! I just got a sundown x18 brand spankin new. Running good. Running on a shark 2500.1d at 1ohm. Set the sub at 1200Watts at 50V and the dustcap is getting a little warm NOT hot, warm. After 15m+ of 34-44Hz songs. Normal? Bad? I set the gains with a dmm, so they are correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
44v is 1936 watts. I would imagine your sub is getting hot' date=' if not clipping on that amplifier.[/quote']
Ok, Im def resetting gains tomorrow. Thanks. The **** who helped me forgot to change the impedance from 2 ohm to 1ohm >.

Hey everyone! I just got a sundown x18 brand spankin new. Running good. Running on a shark 2500.1d at 1ohm. Set the sub at 1200Watts at 50V and the dustcap is getting a little warm NOT hot, warm. After 15m+ of 34-44Hz songs. Normal? Bad? I set the gains with a dmm, so they are correct.
Had a few beers tonight so forgive me if this post could have been written better....

Not too familiar with this particular sub but this could be normal. Voice coil heats up, former then heats up, cone/dustcap then heats up. Subs aren't very efficient and most of the power you deliver to them ends up getting wasted and gets converted into heat. This heat has to go somewhere. Some gets dissipated into the air, the top plate, pole piece, voice coil, etc. until it trickles up into the cone/dustcap.

How much actually gets to the dustcap depends on several variables as mentioned above (ex. amount of power, voice coil material, former material, cone material, etc.). Is it a problem? Again, it depends. If it's just slightly warm, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

On a side note, setting your gain with a DMM doesn't really guarantee anything unless all the music you play is recorded at the same reference level as the tone you used to set the gain. As this likely isn't the case, you need to be careful as you could still cause clipping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.