Crossovers

bsazem22
10+ year member

Ok I don't have the cash to buy an amp for my speakers but when I have music in my car playing loud the speakers distort terribly, sometimes the subs cover it lol but you can still hear it.....if I remember correctly I heard people saying about getting a crossover and hooking your speakers up to that and you can adjust the frequencies it will let through....if this is true I need them and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find them or give me more information on it....Thanks

Are they only distorting on the low frequencies, or all of the frequencies? Because it could be that you need to highpass them (if you aren't already), or it simply could be that you are just turning it up too loud.

ok so I have been looking for some of these but it seems like they only make them for subs...can anyone direct me where I could find them for speakers?

ok so I have been looking for some of these but it seems like they only make them for subs...can anyone direct me where I could find them for speakers?
Amplified off of the headunit? Sounds like you are in need of some "bass blockers": http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TLGZVFIVbdY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=760&I=127BB150A2&search=bass+blocker

Or, if you are a little more DIY or don't find a bass blocker for the frequency you want, those bass blockers are nothing more than a capacitor. You can find capacitors at www.partsexpress.com and use the guide on the 12volt to find the appropriate value cap for the xover frequency you want.

But it sounds like you just need to highpass them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.