db Graph Explanation

Participant count
  • Participant list

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Provo, UT
Could somebody please explain the following graph to me? What type of curve (color of line) should I try to achieve with box designs?

2va037m.jpg

idealy they would be strait across but thats never going to happen. alot of bass music and decaf / got 160s plays in to the 20s regularly now so design that plays from 80hz to 20 hz strongly would be the next best thing

idealy they would be strait across but thats never going to happen. alot of bass music and decaf / got 160s plays in to the 20s regularly now so design that plays from 80hz to 20 hz strongly would be the next best thing
So the ideal graph would try to be as flat as possible to 0 db? Also, what does it mean if there is a huge peak to like 3 or 6 db?

It's just a preference. Ideal is whatever you want it to be. There is no right or wrong curve. It just depends primarily on application and your taste in music. Some people like a flat response and some like a little bump for extra output. It's all a compromise. Ask yourself what type of sound you're looking for. If you want a more balanced sound all around, get everything as close to 0 db. Huge peaks at 3 - 6 db will basically make a certain note sound louder than the rest. What are you trying to achieve and what music do you listen to? That's the real question.

Purple is the only real peaky one. The others are under a db. Even purple is not that bad.

Funny thing is you can graph all you want. Once you install it it's all going to change.

^ thats true, cabin gain from my experience will make small/medium peaks into huge peaks lol! Well its depending on the whole setup for each individual setup. Too many factors that only an RTA and many trial and error boxes can help solve if you want it perfectionist level. Most of us arent that picky though as long as it slams and you like how it sounds, thats all that matters.

Purple is the only real peaky one. The others are under a db. Even purple is not that bad.
Funny thing is you can graph all you want. Once you install it it's all going to change.
Thanks for all of the help. I think I get it now. I just wasn't too sure how big of peaks were acceptable and how close to 0 db I should get. Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks for all of the help. I think I get it now. I just wasn't too sure how big of peaks were acceptable and how close to 0 db I should get. Thanks for the help guys!
In reality you need a RTA run after its installed. Tune it and try to have the sub stage 6db hot with a roll off to 0-3db at 80hz. Look up the JBL curve. That's a very good baseline for a proper curve.

This is like the difference between pink and white noise.

One is a constant amplitude up to 20khz whereas the other is a declining amplitude but, to the ear, with steady amplitude.

You would like a gain in the lower end of the spectrum as our ears require it to perceive a flat response.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
ObTechAudio
Provo, UT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from