Dissapointed..

mopower440
10+ year member

Got my box done for my single 10" sub for under the back seat of my extended cab chevy truck,, it is a downfire design. Not happy with the sound. It is quite punchy and sounds good listening to rock and metal, but as far as rap or hip hop, it doesnt have that low rumbling BOOM i was expecting it to. I had this same sub and amp in my old REGULAR cab truck behind the seat in an even smaller box and it had that low rumbly thunderous BOOM even in it.smaller cab and smaller box!.I expected it to do better in the extended cab being there is more space and the box is bigger. Maybe downfiring it wasnt the right box to build? It is a sealed enclosure. The sub is an old school mtx blue thunder and calls for 1/2 to 1 cu. ft. of space. As i said, the box is bigger than my previous box and it boomed in that smaller box. Wish i would have built it upfiring now i guess, would iy have done better upfiring?

You would've been better off not using a sealed box. I don't know if you have the space to go ported where you wanna put that thing though?

Yes ported would be ideal.I had a down fire set up, and felt the same from it.As though from the sub firing into the carpet seemed to me it was deadning the sound out, and I ended up placing plywood just under where the sub was firing down , to make the sound reflect back up.Sounds almost stupid, but try a piece of plywood that way, before you go to rebuilding that box.I ran it like that for almost a yr, and what a difference it made, rather than down firing into the carpet, and deadining out.

I'm going to say that your box is a lil too big, and that's a big reason ur losing out on the lows
Lulwhat?

Larger box = more low extension in sealed.

Try flipping the box firing a different direction and changing positions, if it helps build a new box firing whatever direction is best. That's not a bad sub for what it is. A friend of mine ran a single 10 in a hatchback and it did better than I expected.

You guys need to understand that the recommended box size from the manufacturer is not a good thing to go on because it does not account for driver placement, ratios, or resonances. OP, what is the driver you are using?

downfiring a sub/seal it "for lows" in a small cabin goes around alot but it's bs lol. Flip the sub. It honestly dosn't matter as much where the sub is at in a small cabin vs a bigger one but you shouldn't have the cone too close to anything as that sort of gain is better for upper end.

Got my box done for my single 10" sub for under the back seat of my extended cab chevy truck,, it is a downfire design. Not happy with the sound. It is quite punchy and sounds good listening to rock and metal, but as far as rap or hip hop, it doesnt have that low rumbling BOOM i was expecting it to. I had this same sub and amp in my old REGULAR cab truck behind the seat in an even smaller box and it had that low rumbly thunderous BOOM even in it.smaller cab and smaller box!.I expected it to do better in the extended cab being there is more space and the box is bigger. Maybe downfiring it wasnt the right box to build? It is a sealed enclosure. The sub is an old school mtx blue thunder and calls for 1/2 to 1 cu. ft. of space. As i said, the box is bigger than my previous box and it boomed in that smaller box. Wish i would have built it upfiring now i guess, would iy have done better upfiring?
Try playing with the "bass-boost" settings, i find that it actually helps in sealed enclosures.

But your best bet, would be to go with a ported enclosure..

Down firing should not effect it much, being that it is very close to you.

Try playing with the "bass-boost" settings, i find that it actually helps in sealed enclosures. But your best bet, would be to go with a ported enclosure..

Down firing should not effect it much, being that it is very close to you.
The problem with that though, is induced distortion that in a sealed enclosure will not be very noticeable, especially with resistance between the enclosure placement and the drivers listening position. Bass boost was not designed to control distortion levels......which are very important in sealed applications because of the controlled compression on the driver, mechanically there will be no changes, but thermally......be careful with that.

Also the driver beeing close to you is not important for the low end as the low end in small cabins is uniform throughout, for the most part.

Also the driver beeing close to you is not important for the low end as the low end in small cabins is uniform throughout, for the most part.
Yes, for the most part, you will get a compression contant, but only at high power levels. When playing at normal volumes or less, the distance involved can make a difference in output and the more sensitive the ear will be to changes in the response. Dips and peaks do occur even at low end frequencies, but you have a good point at there being a uniformity, and for all those who want to understand this concept that huricaine mentioned, it is no different than thinking of the inside of a car as the inside of an enclosure. Great point!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mopower440

10+ year member
mopower440
chapel, TN.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from