Do I need an amp for Rainbow SLC 165 Components?

Kiwi_Jonno

Hi all, my first post here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

I've decided to upgrade the factory stereo on my car (Subaru Legacy GTB). I brought a Pioneer DEH-P5150 UB headunit, as well as Rainbow W 165 SLC NG Component Speakers.

At the moment everything is brand new, so the speakers aren't broken in or anything. My question is though, would I be better off amping the speakers? Even if it was a cheap Sony Xplode amp? The speakers are rated at 100w RMS, while the headunit is probably 20-22w RMS.

I've also go no rear speakers at the moment, as factory ones are pretty much blown. Ive thought about running some cheaper component speakers in the back as an alternitive upgrade...

Thanks a lot for any help and opinions.

You don't NEED to put an amplifier to them. If you want to run them off your head unit go right ahead, if not they'll become alive when you actually put power to them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would invest in a higher quality component amp if you were to amp them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Zed audio is always a perfect choice for stuff like this. His most common stuff is old school Hifonics which I think would be great for those rainbows.

You'll really like those SLC's...I ran a set in the past. They don't require a ton of power either. And yes, definately amp them if you can. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for all the replys.

Ok, So I will get an amp installed for the front components. Over here in NZ the cost to install stuff is actually quite expensive. So I was thinking I could get a 4 channel amp, then use 2 channels for the Rainbow SLC's and then bridge 2 channels for a sub? Would this be a good idea? Rather then going for a 2 channel amp fronts and a mono for the sub?

Thanks for you input,

Jonno

that's what a lot of people do is what you are thinking. Just make sure you try to match up the sub and the amp's power when bridged so you get the most from the system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.