Do I need to use the external crossovers for my comps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

crfrider
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Oklahoma
I was thinking of running my 4 channel kicker zx850.4 amp to power my comps, I want to run the mids on 2 channels then my highs on the other 2 channels, they each have hi, lo crossover switch on the amp, can i just use the amp crossovers to power my comps, instead of having to also wire my speaker wires to the external crossovers that came with each set? cause the crossovers have an input and each output for woofer and tweeter, well since im wanting to run the mids and highs seperate im not sure how i would wire into the external crossovers, also how could i wire 2 channels to a 2 ohm load for my mids? thanks

no, you need an external crossover because even though the amp has hi/low crossover, you need it to have bandpass as well (ability to give the mid a high and low crossover setting at the same time. the highpass is probably also not high enough for your tweets. i could be wrong, as there are a select few 4 channels that can be ran active, im not quite sure that kicker makes one.

and whats your issue with just using the passive xovers that came with the comps? unless you really know what you are doing when it comes to tuning and what not, id use the passives until you learn a little more. going active sounds fun, but sometimes its a bigger hassle than its worth.

well the thing is I want to run 2 sets of comps on this amp for my front stage, well I was thinking of running the mids and highs seperate to give it better control on the amp, well the external crossovers only have 1 input and then they have 1 woofer output and 1 tweeter output, so I wasnt sure how to wire them, If i put a woofer wire into the input would that seperate the highs from the woofer, cause i would have to run tweeter wire into the input to,

dont get me wrong and dont feel bad by my statement.

with 417 posts and you have been here for more then a year and you still dont know ****.

i dont know why you wanna run 2 sets of comps in the front and im not going to ask why , dont wanna know lol

here is a idea, use the passive xovers for both sets, since your amp makes 175 watts x 4 chan.

for example:

175 watts x 2 for the 1st set ( going passive )

175 watts x 2 for the 2nd set ( going passive )

lol i know, I have learned alot but im still new to comps, i have only had one set and it was only one, now i want to run 2 sets up front, just my own opinion, Well see i know how to wire into regular passive crossovers, just an input, then it has a woofer out, and a tweeter out, well see with 2 sets of comps there would be 4 crossovers total, 2 on each side, well My plan was to run the mids on 2 channels, then the highs on the other 2 channels to seperate the mids and highs, since each 2 channels have there own adjustment control, well see my question was how could I use the regular passive crossovers with one input, cause one each channel, mids for example I would have 2 sets of wires coming out of each channel, 2 pos, 2 negatives then I would run each set of wires to the input on each crossovers on the left side, well how would i also wire the tweeters, would i have to run the 2 sets of tweeter wires into the input of the crossovers, Would that seperate the mids from highs still when they are both in the same inputs? thanks

also would a bandpass also be called off?, my amp has the hi lo and off settings? and I have been thinking of getting 2 sets of Kicker QS65.2 comps, cause they have crossovers with inputs for each, woofer and tweeters? so i probally could run it like i want

As was said earlier, you can't run the mids and tweets on separate channels with that amplifier. The crossover does not go high enough. If you want to run 2 sets of components, just use the passive crossovers. If you REALLY wanted to run the mids and tweets on separate channels, you need an external crossover, which would go before the amp. At the same time, you would need to figure out what the crossover frequencies of the passive crossovers are, so you can dial it in on the external crossover.

I'd avoid all of that in general, though. Just run 2 sets of components on the amp, and spend your time on a really good install - that will make the biggest difference at this point.

ok yea ill probally just run the passives, what setting should I set on my amp hi, low, or off on the amp, also how would I wire my comps to get a 2ohm load, cause i may buy the 2ohm RE Audio XXX comps

if your Kicker QS65.2 comps, has a input for woofer and tweeters you can bi-amp that one set.

for example

with a 4ch amp (kicker zx850.4 )

ch1 and ch2 for the tweeters

ch3 and ch4 for the woofers.

try doing that with both sets??

so I could run it the way i was thinking with the qs set? what is bi-amp mean, and that way i could still use the amp gains to control each seperatly the mids and highs cause the passive crossovers would also seperate the freqs? is that right thanks

so I could run it the way i was thinking with the qs set? what is bi-amp mean, and that way i could still use the amp gains to control each seperatly the mids and highs cause the passive crossovers would also seperate the freqs? is that right thanks

Im telling your making things hard for your self. you have a 4 chan amp. just do passive for both sets and call it a day

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.