do speakers need enclousres?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nyydmb12
10+ year member

New york
I know that 6x9's can run free air(right?), but are they the only ones. I'm doing kind of a cob job modification to my front door panels to fit a bigger speaker. However if I need to build an enclosure for 6 1/2 then I'd rather just stick with 6x9's.

yes 6x9's are the most sought after size of speaker due to their ability to be ran free air, no one knows how they have the uncanny ability to step up to the music without being sealed or ported, but one thing for sure is they are the only size that can do it.

yes 6x9's are the most sought after size of speaker due to their ability to be ran free air, no one knows how they have the uncanny ability to step up to the music without being sealed or ported, but one thing for sure is they are the only size that can do it.
sarcasm?

not sure how dumb this may sound but. I have my bass EQ set to 0 and let the subs have all the fun so does it play that much of a role. Also is there better sound quality from the different shapes.

so would you guys recommend a round 6 1/2 over a 6x9 even if their being installed with no real attention to the enclosure size.

Most of the time this would be correct, but not always true. You might be able to get more midbass, in fact, I am sure you would, out of a 6x9 like the Image Dynamics XS69, than most 6.5s due to cone area. So when not paying much attention to install, that could make a difference for you. the ID XS69 is a phenomenal speaker. Most companies' 6x9s are generally crap. But the selection of 6.5s at a much lower price is very good.

I was looking into JL audio 6x9's 3 way for 95 dollars with a coupon. They are the same ones have in the back right now getting 40 watts a piece, but I wanna increase the resistance to get 50 watts a piece....To do that I would just run two speaker wires to one speaker right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.