Do you TIP your installer?

What are your thoughts on tipping the installer when you take you vehicle in for an install / work at a car audio shop?
If you want to Tip.. Tip Directly to that installer or installers rather than at the register so that they are sure to appreciate your gesture, as they may not get it at all. they get paid fairly well by the hour or by the job I feel like. But a Tip is always very nice.. even Beer if of age..LOL.

No tip for me. I put them in the same category as car repair. They get paid enough money that they don't depend on tips to survive. I always tip food service workers in restaurants. Like a previous poster said, you can tip if you feel the need. I don't.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with your question. - If you knew what to tip for, you probably wouldn't be taking it to an audio shop to have them install your equipment.

There are audio installers that can treat every project like it is their own, and they want to do the best job they can. Then there are installers, (and It's my belief that it is the majority of them), that just need you to sign off on that piece of paper, saying it works, get you out the door, and then they are done with you.

You wouldn't know how the wires were routed, how they made your ground, how well they made all the custom wiring, how well they may have adjusted it in case you need to take it out, how accurately they set your gain, how well they adjusted any basic settings. How well they mounted your equipment, and did they just use sheet metal screws to go through the body of the vehicle instead of pulling up the carpet and finding a better way, etc......

For a ground:
Did they use a good, correct size copper lug, for the right size bolt, on a correctly sized ground cable, at the right angle, and add dielectric grease with a good shrink tube, connected to OFC wire with a precise cut at the right depth, that didn't lose any strands, crimped properly, then attached it securely to bare metal that will ground to chassis
OR
did they hammer a crimp for a coated bendable connector, on an undersized CCA wire, then use a cabinet screw to go through the sheet metal after they just scraped a little paint off with a screwdriver first?
- If you completely understand the differences here, you most likely have also learned to not take it to an audio shop. You have most likely spent 10 times, the amount of time learning about how to do things the right way, as it's going to take you to just do the work yourself.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...