Door Speaker Wiring Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

pleased1

TN
This may be a really stupid question to some... sorry I am new at this. Lets say I have four door speakers each of them rated at 125 watts RMS at 4 ohms. I want to drive the speakers with a four channel amp that puts out 125 watt RMS at 4 ohms on each channel. I want to wire one speaker on each channel. Does this require at least 14 AWG door speaker wire to achieve the RMS rating of 125 watts? Do people normally run 14 AWG wire on door speakers?

Thanks for your help

yes, i usually use 14awg wire for each speaker. keep in mind, music is transient and dynamic, you will rarely ever see 125W at a speaker, if at all - it would be too loud and distorted. you want an amp capable if that power level so your normal listening level has less distortion, and you have dynamic capabilities.

i use a non-spliced run of 14awg speaker wire from teh amp directly to teh speaker. i use properly sized female disconnects that have heat shrink around them to prevent shorting. i ensure they are a tight fit and will sometimes zip tie the speaker wire to the basket to ensure a good, secure connection.

treating the door and mounting is very important, as is making sure you have a proper seal between the speaker and door metal, and between the speaker and the plastic door panel and factory grill.

this is a door speaker installation example with a $850 set of Hertz Mille MLK-165's:

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32679

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.