Down-fire subwoofers

Participant count
  • Participant list

e39.Bo2saucy.1100

Huge fan of bmw cars e39 e34 e28 e32 e36
Hey so I’m kinda interested in buying some Kicker 48TCWRT82 down fire sub enclosures. They come with one 8 inch sub and a 8 inch passive radiator. Only thing is I am not really wanting to place them in the downfire position, im kinda wanting to use the legs on the enclosures to mount them on the wall behind my rear seats in the trunk of my car with the amp mounted between them and mount a fan to keep the amp cool, even if it’s not needed I still like having a fan to kinda guarantee my amp won’t overheat. I want them mounted like this because I really use a lot of trunk space all the time and many times even with how slim they are I feel like they would still give me issues In the future when loading up my trunk. So I want to mount them on the back of my seats so they’re up out of the way and still being protected in between the enclosure itself and the wall behind the seat. The reason why I’m asking is because I was told a while ago that down-fire subs should only be mounted in the Down-fire position, up-fire subs should only be mounted in the up-fire position, front/rear/side fire subs should be mounted accordingly as well! But isn’t it just the enclosures that are different? Like it’s the same kicker compRT subs in all the enclosures just with different ways of mounting them right?

What car? Do you have a spare tire? If not, you can use that area too. You can mount the downfire in any way you want. As long as the sub is facing a surface, it wont know any better.
I have a 1997 bmw 528i e39 Sport. And yeah I have a full size 17 inch spare in the trunk and the tool kit. And yeah I’m going to bolt them onto the trunk wall that’s behind the rear seat so so the subs will definitely be facing a surface. Or I can bolt them upside down in a Up-fire position under the rear deck inside of the trunk! That’s where the oem subwoofer box is mounted in vehicles with the M-audio or the DSP audio systems. I was thinking maybe about instead of buying the downfire enclosures to maybe buy 2 of the shallow mount wedge enclosures and mounting them in between the rear deck speakers also. The 6.75inch sub and passive radiator enclosure and the 8 inch sub and passive radiator enclosures will both for sure fit right in my back window. And that way the subs would be in the cabin too. But idk, out of the 3 different ideas I have witch of them would you personally do if you were doing this lol

Hey so I’m kinda interested in buying some Kicker 48TCWRT82 down fire sub enclosures. They come with one 8 inch sub and a 8 inch passive radiator. Only thing is I am not really wanting to place them in the downfire position, im kinda wanting to use the legs on the enclosures to mount them on the wall behind my rear seats in the trunk of my car with the amp mounted between them and mount a fan to keep the amp cool, even if it’s not needed I still like having a fan to kinda guarantee my amp won’t overheat. I want them mounted like this because I really use a lot of trunk space all the time and many times even with how slim they are I feel like they would still give me issues In the future when loading up my trunk. So I want to mount them on the back of my seats so they’re up out of the way and still being protected in between the enclosure itself and the wall behind the seat. The reason why I’m asking is because I was told a while ago that down-fire subs should only be mounted in the Down-fire position, up-fire subs should only be mounted in the up-fire position, front/rear/side fire subs should be mounted accordingly as well! But isn’t it just the enclosures that are different? Like it’s the same kicker compRT subs in all the enclosures just with different ways of mounting them right?

Let me just say a few things.
1. A sub doesn't care what direction it is facing. The only reason you don't want to face sub down in an upfire box is because typically the sub would be hitting the floor.

2. This is not considered infinite baffle. Or even trunk baffle

3. Down firing subs take advantage of the loading effect of the floor. Assuming the rear of the seats is rigid enough mounting them pointed at the seats could accomplish the same thing.

4. The same reason you might want to down fire them is the same reason you might not want to. Subs can load off of most anything and most commonly you will get the most output when the sub is in a corner facing rear ward. This gives a corner loading surface and a front loading surface to reflect the sound towards the front.

This isn't end all be all and every vehicle is different.

End of the day I don't really see an issue with your plan other than mounting the amp on the same surface since the flexing seat back has a possibility to dislodge components inside the amp. Most of the time it doesn't matter though

Was the link legitimate?
why would it not be :( , it is indeed an affiliate web page but the articles i write there are not wrong or made up... Just like everybody else i'm trying to make a passive income source , let's just say this website is experimenting , because why not. What i did up there is called backlink generating.... basically i need backlinks for my website so that google will find it trustworthy and suggest it to people who are looking for information which my website has to offer. This way my domain is gaining authority and with it i get more people visiting the website , and if they so decide to purchase any of the products i have listed there i will get a small comission from this purchase, so no worries the website is legit and there is nothing dangerous about it.

Last edited:
how full do you fill up your trunk? you can side install too...

IMGP9225.jpg

Last edited:
why would it not be :( , it is indeed an affiliate web page but the articles i write there are not wrong or made up... Just like everybody else i'm trying to make a passive income source , let's just say this website is experimenting , because why not. What i did up there is called backlink generating.... basically i need backlinks for my website so that google will find it trustworthy and suggest it to people who are looking for information which my website has to offer. This way my domain is gaining authority and with it i get more people visiting the website , and if they so decide to purchase any of the products i have listed there i will get a small comission from this purchase, so no worries the website is legit and there is nothing dangerous about it.
Cool down, bro. and have a happy thanksgiving. I was merely inquiring in response to someone else's post that cautioned about clicking on the link. Had nothing to do with you personally. If you are going to be in business, you can't be so thin skinned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...