Enclosure Prototyping *Pics*

Just because you weren't at finals doesn't mean you couldn't copy his box to the exact dimensions.
Want proof?

Oh hey! Look at that! Looks pretty darn identical to me, even down to the sub model and duct tape.

You're full of ****. Period. Terry tested his car after 2006 finals because of the score you did with the same equipment (sorry, got the amps wrong). After he deadened (like your car was), he gained over a dB (which would have meant that you lost)

If you didn't gain with a DD battery over an NSB, then there's not much I can say about that. Mike Hughes did a 156.5 last year with a nsb2700, which is significantly weaker than either an NSB90 or one of the batcap batteries.

Oh no! You know what kind of person I am? Why? Because I don't believe all the ******** you're throwing around? Give me a break. Though I guess I'm not the one you need to prove anything to since I won't ever buy one of your (probably) overpriced and overhyped boxes. And the people that will buy them have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so I'm sure they'll just take your word for it.
I know Terry would have won if he had Dynamat-ed his car. I talked to him about it at finals. In 06 his box was louder than mine, without question. Again, it was my first year out, I knew very little in regards to rules etc. I never knew that you can cut the headrest in half like Terry and it was legal. I was looking for 10" tubes before finals. Now, if I had brought tubes to finals...are you going to tell me that I copied Brad Figards? I was truely a coincident with the similar boxes...Not copies.

Are you saying that anybody can just buy the exact equipment and copy the box and land themselves 1st place?

NSB90 and DDZ battery did the exact same number. Ask Terry yourself, he had a DDZ at finals also...and so did WCA-Ana. Mike Hughes did a great number, good for him...I'm not sure why he is in this conversation. Scores gained over the years is pretty common.

Tuan

Untitled.jpg

Designed and built this about 2 years ago. **** optimized.

Mar22_0001.jpg

I just gotta say cause I had a DD Z 2750B and now have a NSB90, I lost about .5 on my burps, obviously a huge difference in your setup to mine but I had a noticeable amount of change in the cranking amps between the batts, just throwing my two cents out.
Sounds like Street A should be re-visited tuan?
I would love to if I had the time. Been wanting to.

In regards to the batteries...it might have been my DDZ battery. I received the battery from Steve Milton right outside of the Louisville convention center. I dropped it in 15 mins before I drove into the pit. I had 1 day of charging. I'm not sure if that made any difference. I may have not gotten the proper charging for it. When the car came back to California, it did a louder score after proper charging. It's hard to tell since it may have been a change in elevation and environment.

Tuan

Tuan

I know Terry would have won if he had Dynamat-ed his car. I talked to him about it at finals. In 06 his box was louder than mine, without question. Again, it was my first year out, I knew very little in regards to rules etc. I never knew that you can cut the headrest in half like Terry and it was legal. I was looking for 10" tubes before finals. Now, if I had brought tubes to finals...are you going to tell me that I copied Brad Figards? I was truely a coincident with the similar boxes...Not copies.
Are you saying that anybody can just buy the exact equipment and copy the box and land themselves 1st place?

NSB90 and DDZ battery did the exact same number. Ask Terry yourself, he had a DDZ at finals also...and so did WCA-Ana. Mike Hughes did a great number, good for him...I'm not sure why he is in this conversation. Scores gained over the years is pretty common.

Tuan
Copy? Not necessarily. Take notes and pointers from? Absolutely. You acted as though you tested tons of designs without referencing previous vehicles, which is a lie. Your boxes are seemingly identical to terry's boxes from the previous years. You're trying to tell me thats strictly coincidence? I don't buy that for a second. Everything about them is the same. The dimensions (which I used to have but can't find them anywhere, I want to say 12x12x24 or something along those lines), the ports, the orientation, everything is the same.

If you didn't gain with the Z battery over an NSB90, then it must've been something with your install because I know a lot of guys gained a good amount. But I can see that happening depending on the install.

Of course you can't just buy the same equipment and get yourself a 1st place, but if you have a good design to go off of, the same vehicle, and do the right testing, yes it is possible.

This thread gives he Lulz, Tuan. I dont believe anything you are saying. How did you bend the wood with out Kerf cutting? Soak the wood in water to bend it? lol....

You told tommy the vehicles are similar? That is not true. I have a 2000 S-10 ext cab xtreme, My teammate has a 2000 S-10 ext cab xtreme. My box is over 1 db louder in my truck vs his...same amps...same subs...same wire...same batts...etc.

I agree with tommy, you should take this over to SMD. You will have more luck over there...maybe even talk to Steve himself, he has plenty of nuthuggers that dont care about anything but what Steve tells them.

Copy? Not necessarily. Take notes and pointers from? Absolutely. You acted as though you tested tons of designs without referencing previous vehicles, which is a lie. Your boxes are seemingly identical to terry's boxes from the previous years. You're trying to tell me thats strictly coincidence? I don't buy that for a second. Everything about them is the same. The dimensions (which I used to have but can't find them anywhere, I want to say 12x12x24 or something along those lines), the ports, the orientation, everything is the same.
If you didn't gain with the Z battery over an NSB90, then it must've been something with your install because I know a lot of guys gained a good amount. But I can see that happening depending on the install.

Of course you can't just buy the same equipment and get yourself a 1st place, but if you have a good design to go off of, the same vehicle, and do the right testing, yes it is possible.
"Of course you can't just buy the same equipment and get yourself a 1st place, but if you have a good design to go off of, the same vehicle, and do the right testing, yes it is possible"

Easier said then done...but you're right anything is possible.

Don't believe me? Call Greg from US Amps/RE Audio or Roger Bridges from Crossfire. Both of them have seen all the boxes I've done. I started out with 14" x 12" x 12". Then I went smaller, 13" x 12" x 12". Then longer and smaller. After 12 boxes, you learn which works well. The box I ended with was the smallest physical rectangular box that would fit a 10" sub while maintaining the same volume. Then I placed 45 degrees in all 4 corners but changed the internal volume. This didn't work well. I went to look for 10" or 12" pipes but couldn't come across any before finals.

Like I said, I was building 2 to 3 tests boxes at a time. Here is a picture of a test box that I never used because I realized going skinnier had better results. I never bother cutting the port holes and sub cutout. This is still sitting here in my garage. I'm sure a ton of people had these boxes, but I surely didn't copy them.

IMG_1452.jpg

This thread gives he Lulz, Tuan. I dont believe anything you are saying. How did you bend the wood with out Kerf cutting? Soak the wood in water to bend it? lol....
You told tommy the vehicles are similar? That is not true. I have a 2000 S-10 ext cab xtreme, My teammate has a 2000 S-10 ext cab xtreme. My box is over 1 db louder in my truck vs his...same amps...same subs...same wire...same batts...etc.

I agree with tommy, you should take this over to SMD. You will have more luck over there...maybe even talk to Steve himself, he has plenty of nuthuggers that dont care about anything but what Steve tells them.
I'm not here to sell boxes. Thought I'd share some pics...but lead to a bunch of non-sense. This is definitely not Kerf cutting. Do you see cut lines? Believe it or not...doesn't matter to me.

"You told tommy the vehicles are similar?"

Which vehicle are you referring to?

I agree with you about vehicles being different. I helped built 3 other CRX's...same method. 2 are 1.5 db's down from mine and the other is 0.5 db down. No 2 vehicles are identical.

Tuan

David, you can bend wood without kerf cutting. At least you can with good wood like birch, or pretty much anything that isn't made up of dust and glue (MDF).

I don't know which method tuan is using, but I have seen people use steamer boxes to soften the wood which allows them to make curves without breaking the wood.

David, you can bend wood without kerf cutting. At least you can with good wood like birch, or pretty much anything that isn't made up of dust and glue (MDF).
I don't know which method tuan is using, but I have seen people use steamer boxes to soften the wood which allows them to make curves without breaking the wood.
There's really no method and I'm not bending MDF or wood. The port is a flared type. There are many ways this can be achieved. One way: use a quarter of an 8" PVC to achieve a 4" bend. Then reinforce the back with a 45 degree bend to strengthen and prevent any leaks. Nothing special to be honest.

Kerf ports are almost impossible to do for mass production. It's tedious work and are very fragile.

Tuan

There's really no method and I'm not bending MDF or wood. The port is a flared type. There are many ways this can be achieved. One way: use a quarter of an 8" PVC to achieve a 4" bend. Then reinforce the back with a 45 degree bend to strengthen and prevent any leaks. Nothing special to be honest.
Kerf ports are almost impossible to do for mass production. It's tedious work and are very fragile.

Tuan
I agree that kerf ports are very difficult to do in large quantities. Even the method you mentioned is still a pain in the arse unless you have some tools set up specifically for cutting PVC.

I'll stick to aeroports!

Edit: I see your not using wood to make the bend..nvm.

I agree that kerf ports are very difficult to do in large quantities. Even the method you mentioned is still a pain in the arse unless you have some tools set up specifically for cutting PVC.
I'll stick to aeroports!
Yep. Aeroports are the way to go...but they're also expensive. BTW: I'm sure you already know, but the flare ratio on the Aeroports are's the most efficient. There is a better flare ratio that will gain about 0.2 db...but requires custom building. Also a pain in the butt to build.

Tuan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.