Enclosure shape on Port box, does it matter?

Thanks for the very helpful posts (y), especially as redoing the front end is hugely changing what I know require the sub to do.

shape wise I’ll be going for a rectangular box as I have completely shifted the shelving around to allow for it.
2C70D04A-BDD7-49F5-A7DA-E43412B261AA.jpeg

Frequency range coverage area of the sub is also now reduced as i have vent one midbass and plan to do the other today (not sure how to make pretty yet 🤣)
7E7632F0-5574-4CC7-8F7A-EB71AA6A823B.jpeg

I need to test them when both are finished, but in theory they should play down load and strong to around 60hz. Assuming that they do, then 20 to 60 will be all I need the sub to cover (or as much as the speaker can anyway 🙂)

Thanks for the very helpful posts (y), especially as redoing the front end is hugely changing what I know require the sub to do.

shape wise I’ll be going for a rectangular box as I have completely shifted the shelving around to allow for it.
View attachment 38714

Frequency range coverage area of the sub is also now reduced as i have vent one midbass and plan to do the other today (not sure how to make pretty yet 🤣)
View attachment 38715
I need to test them when both are finished, but in theory they should play down load and strong to around 60hz. Assuming that they do, then 20 to 60 will be all I need the sub to cover (or as much as the speaker can anyway 🙂)

That’s sick dude, the doors

View attachment 38714

View attachment 38715

Where are you putting your mids and tweets?

What a huge difference redoing the front end has made, especially porting the mid bass enclosures. So much so that I could almost live without a sub now 😉. I have depth to the music is the only way I can describe it 🙂

Time finally now to work on the sub, both winisd and bassbox pro have recommended a super large box (winisd 6 cubic feet, bassbox pro 4.5 cubic feet). As bassbox pro has served so well on the mid bass, I’m going to follow that size.

Which makes the box roughly 1650 x 406 x409mm and an external vent very roughly of 2m at 55 inch area

I’m not a fan of bass box pro, personally, but the version I used was old and that was back in 2013 or so. I really like winisd alpha, you just have to know what you’re looking at. Some t/s parameters never model well, and there’s a variety of reasons for that, like not broken in enough when pulled, or maybe a woofer with a progressive suspension and a funky dynamic.

One thing to keep in mind, when designing sound stuff, is that a sound wave moves through the air, but also moves independently of the air. The air is the medium for the sounds we hear, but the air isn’t the sounds we hear, in a way. What you hear is the energy differential of the waves traveling through the air and the air trying to keep up and rebalance itself to static.

It’s the reason you even have a port velocity. If you were hearing only air, then the port air would always be at mach. The air tries to follow the pulsation patterns of energy that are coming out of the port (cycles of compression/rarefaction). So, with a ported box, the air noise you can hear coming out of an undersized port is directional-ized (by any good port lol) and extremely high pressure, due the wave flowing through it.

If you have any higher range sounds coming from a woofer that are wanted, then you can throw types of polyfill in the port or chamber walls to try and help absorb the higher frequencies, and try to minimize the reverberations/scattering of those higher-than-bass notes. I would use a polyfill with multiple densities to help catch multiple frequencies.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...