Everything you need to know about every sub

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
Ok....time for a little test. Instead of there being so many threads dedicated to the same subs, let's see if we can cram all the information we have into one thread. This is how it's going to work (all these seemingly pointless rules are for organizational purposes)

1) Different subs will have a bold heading to distinguish themselves from others.

2) All comments for a respective sub will go under this heading. If someone already commented on a sub, and you wish to throw into your two cents on the same sub, simply add your comment under the heading.

3) If you're going to add anything, quote the post above you and just add onto the quote. This way people won't have to navigate through the entire thread, they can simply check the last post made to find everything they need.

4) If you're adding a comment on a sub, first list the install (box size, tuning [if applicable], power, car, etc. etc.)

5) Keep the list in alphabetical order. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'll start it off, I'll do some more tomorrow.

Resonant Engineering 15" XXX

- Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the job done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D

- Box - 1 cuft per sub sealed (I had two of them), powered by a JBL 600.1. This was my first "real" setup, where I decided to spend some actual money on car audio. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with them. SQ wise, they were very good, and took anything I thew at them. However, the SPL was severely lacking. They simply didn't get all that loud. So I borrowed a friends amp (USX 1000d that did 700 @ 2 ohms) to see if it made a difference and the subs blew. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif I wouldn't recommend them unless you can get them very cheap.

- Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the job done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.
10 chars....

Elemental Designs K

Box - 2.5 cuft, tuned to 33, powered by a JBL 600.1. This is one of the best drivers for the money in my opinion. It's not overwhelming in any one area, but it can do everything you ask of it and more. It gets pretty da*n loud and the SQ is excellent. If you're looking for an SPL beast or a perfect SQ driver, look elsewhere, but if you want something that will do very well in both these areas at a cheap price, you've found it. Plus, they work well in very small boxes. An all-around excellent sub.

- Box - 1 cuft per sub sealed (I had two of them), powered by a JBL 600.1. This was my first "real" setup, where I decided to spend some actual money on car audio. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with them. SQ wise, they were very good, and took anything I thew at them. However, the SPL was severely lacking. They simply didn't get all that loud. So I borrowed a friends amp (USX 1000d that did 700 @ 2 ohms) to see if it made a difference and the subs blew. I wouldn't recommend them unless you can get them very cheap.

- Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the job done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL ), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.
10 chars.....

Adire Audio 15" Brahma

-Box - 4.5cu' after all displacement tuned to 38Hz, powered by a Cadence A7hc in the trunk of my 2 door Cavalier. This is the best sub I have ever owned. Hits pretty high SPL while maintaining excellent SQ. I built this set up as SPL/SQ (70/30) and it does a 146 on Linear-X. Kinda on the pricey side but what do you want for something that can do both jobs.

Elemental Designs K

-Box - 2.5 cuft, tuned to 33, powered by a JBL 600.1. This is one of the best drivers for the money in my opinion. It's not overwhelming in any one area, but it can do everything you ask of it and more. It gets pretty da*n loud and the SQ is excellent. If you're looking for an SPL beast or a perfect SQ driver, look elsewhere, but if you want something that will do very well in both these areas at a cheap price, you've found it. Plus, they work well in very small boxes. An all-around excellent sub.

- Box - 1 cuft per sub sealed (I had two of them), powered by a JBL 600.1. This was my first "real" setup, where I decided to spend some actual money on car audio. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with them. SQ wise, they were very good, and took anything I thew at them. However, the SPL was severely lacking. They simply didn't get all that loud. So I borrowed a friends amp (USX 1000d that did 700 @ 2 ohms) to see if it made a difference and the subs blew. I wouldn't recommend them unless you can get them very cheap.

- Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the job done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL ), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.

Adire Audio 15" Brahma

-Box - 4.5cu' after all displacement tuned to 38Hz, powered by a Cadence A7hc in the trunk of my 2 door Cavalier. This is the best sub I have ever owned. Hits pretty high SPL while maintaining excellent SQ. I built this set up as SPL/SQ (70/30) and it does a 146 on Linear-X. Kinda on the pricey side but what do you want for something that can do both j...obs.

Audiobahn Alum12X (same as Alum12Q) (Dual 3ohm Voice coils):

This one was in 1ft^3 sealed, powered by a Rockforf Fosgate Punch 500a2 (yes this was wired to roughly 1.5 ohms!!!) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. The most impressive part of this setup was the fact the amp ran at 1.5ohms LOL...No seriously, this is a good driver for ebay prices and performs well in sealed enclosures. SPL nor SQ are amazing but both are pretty good. This driver compared very well to my buddies single Kicker Solo baric S12D (single 4 ohm VC) .88ft^3sealed (single 4 ohm VC) running off a RF Punch 500a2. I believe the single S12D edged it out a tad in SPL but was about the same in SQ. Like I stated earlier this isnt an amazing sub but pretty decent for ebay prices..I would reccomend 2 of these for a lot of SPL and I would put around 800wrms on them. Good subs just not amazing. Drawbacks would be HIGH retail prices, lack of potency for a single sub setup, lack in SQ, the tainted Audiobahn name, and I have heard of some problems with them (however never had a hiccup out of mine) But they do look cool! With RF Punch 500a2: SPL (For daily use) 6 of 10, SQ 6 of 10.

Elemental Designs K

-Box - 2.5 cuft, tuned to 33, powered by a JBL 600.1. This is one of the best drivers for the money in my opinion. It's not overwhelming in any one area, but it can do everything you ask of it and more. It gets pretty da*n loud and the SQ is excellent. If you're looking for an SPL beast or a perfect SQ driver, look elsewhere, but if you want something that will do very well in both these areas at a cheap price, you've found it. Plus, they w...ork well in very small boxes. An all-around excellent sub.

Kicker S12D (2000 model 12") Solo baric single 2 ohm voice coil X2:

With each of these in .88ft^3 sealed powered by a RF Power 1050s (525wrms X2 @ 2ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. These subs got pretty darn loud close to my XXX level but not quite. However I found them lacking some SQ for my tastes. They are very potent drivers especially in pairs and IMO are the best subs Kicker has ever made. They get louder then anyone really *needs* for daily use and have decent SQ (definately better then most any other Kicker I can think of). And for the price you can find the occasional factory leftover or refurb ($100-$125 a piece) these subs pack a lot of bang for your buck! They handled the power very well and out preformed any of my setups i had prior to these (not the XXX). If there is a drawback to these woofers it is the lack of SQ and the lack of voice coil options and the fact that they dont make them any longer. So with the RF Power 1050s: SPL (for daily use) 8.5 of 10, SQ 7 of 10.

Kicker Solo Baric S12L7 (Dual 2ohm VC)

- In 1.5ft^3 sealed powered by the RF Power 1050s (1050wrms X1 @4ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. I feel this sub was still in a bit too small of an enclosure. It got loud, not quite as loud as the 2 S12D's or the XXX but pretty darn loud! However it was lacking quite a bit in the SQ department! I hear thesse subs act much better in LARGE ported enclosures but to me this ruins the Solo Baric reputation of sounding good in small sealed enclosures! If youa re looking for a sub that will wang hard and dont really care about sound quality at Ebay prices this one is hard to beat!! But beware as they like around 1000watts and large enclosures and dont really enjoy sounding all that pleasing! With RF Power 1050s: SPL (for daily use) 8 of 10, SQ 4.5 of 10

- In a 3.38cube box tuned to 31hz. In the back of a 87 Jeep Cherokee,facing upwards.Each sub was recieving 500w off a hifonics BX1500d. The subs sounded nice for what they were in. They got very loud and quite deep. The subs lacked the sq when the rapid beats of RATM and some Slayer would play. They did have a nice low tone to them and did get very loud. For the money they are hard to beat for how loud they got. The sub played almost a muddy tone when rapid beats would occur,something I did not care for. I give this sub a 7 of 10 overall rating. They have been proven to take abuse, and sound decent in the right enclosure.

Resonant Engineering XXX- 15" version, Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the j...ob done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL ), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.

- 15" version, Box-6cubes after all displacement, tuned to 34hz. 50 inches of port area with 3 braces.Power:1.5kw off a Hifonics BX1500d.I must say I was quite impressed with this sub, as you can tell in my review in the reivew portion of the board. It got so low it was insane. People would ask"How many 15's do you have" instead of "What 15 is that?" The musical reproductions in such a large box were incredible. It got amazingly low and the bass "hits" would just linger around as the airflow would engulf your body in a warm blanket of SPL.The boom would sit around as if waiting there for your pleasure and reassuring you as to the immense power of the sub itself. The excursion was very pleasing and the SPL was downright crazy. It hit 144.5 off an AC(debated as to be uncalibrated by competetors at competition) and I have yet to meter it on my mic. I have given it 2kw for about 2 hrs and it took it with no problem at all. It would get insanly loud and it really isn't possible to describe it. The sq was, in my opinion, outstanding. You could hear all the distinct notes in fast songs by RATM and Rob Zombie. In smaller sealed boxes, 2cu feet to be exact, the sub excelled in SQ beyond belief. If you have ever heard of the band Cannibal Corpse, my friend put in their cd and each distinct beat was audible. I looked back at the sub in disbelief as to how a 15 could reproduce the beat so fast. It was impecable.Needless to say,this is an amazing driver. For SPL and SQL, you can go ported SPL 5-6 cubes, SQL 4-5 cubes, Sealed 2 feet after displacement ...works great. Remeber to brace your ported boxes because if you don't I garuntee flex will occur.I give this sub a 9.5 out of 10 overall. I hope my review helps in anyone's decision in this sub.

- 12" version, In 2.7ft^3 after all displacement, slot ported, tuned to 28hz. Powerd first by a Rockford Fosgate Power 1050s (1050wrms X1 @ 4ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. Got loud and sounded just plain awesome but I upgraded to a Hifonics Brutus BX1500 (1500wrms X1 @ 1ohm) Now it gets even louder and still sounds just flat out AWESOME...SPL on this setup is amazing for one 12" sub even though it is tuned low for SQ. But dont let the amazing SPL fool you SQ is downright unbelievable as well! This is truly an SQL sub...Although I would like to try this in a sealed enclosure just to see the SQ and SPL differences I really feel that most anyone would be suprised at the SQ from a ported setup with this sub. I could not imagine the SPL with a bigger/higher tuned ported box! This is my first ported setup and I must say it defnately out preforms all my previous setups hands down in SQ *which suprises me being its ported* and edges them out pretty well in SPL as well! this is simply an amazing driver with HUGE capabilities SQ and SPL wise..For someone looking for either or both this one is top notch! Only real drawback IMO is that this is a power hungry sub, but with todays amp prices this isnt a real issueFor someone looking for either or both this one is top notch! With Hifonics BX1500: SPL (for daily use) 9.5 of 10, SQ 9 of 10

Elemental Designs E12O.44Bought this directly from eD for ~$200 shipped to my doorstep. I placed it into a self-built 1.5 ft^3 box from 3/4" MDF. A Tsunami dB1100D wired to 2ohms for approximately 650 watts RMS is providing the power. I must say, this sub can take everything I throw at it and more. It's durable to say the least. SQ-wise, I love it. The kick drums it puts out are quick and forceful. I really can't ask for anything more in that section. When a song with a dry, soft bass drum comes in, the musical reproduction is great. Long, flowing bass beats as you might find in jazz music are beautifully reproduced, especially into the higher frequencies. Low end: wow. O's go low. Period. Output-wise, it's plenty to make your ears hurt and tickly your nose if you want. For me, this sub is a perfect match. Great value, great looks, great sub.
10 characters.

Adire Audio 15" Brahma-Box - 4.5cu' after all displacement tuned to 38Hz, powered by a Cadence A7hc in the trunk of my 2 door Cavalier. This is the best sub I have ever owned. Hits pretty high SPL while maintaining excellent SQ. I built this set up as SPL/SQ (70/30) and it does a 146 on Linear-X. Kinda on the pricey side but what do you want for something that can do both j...obs.

This one was in 1ft^3 sealed, powered by a Rockforf Fosgate Punch 500a2 (yes this was wired to roughly 1.5 ohms!!!) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. The most impressive part of this setup was the fact the amp ran at 1.5ohms LOL...No seriously, this is a good driver for ebay prices and performs well in sealed enclosures. SPL nor SQ are amazing but both are pretty good. This driver compared very well to my buddies single Kicker Solo baric S12D (single 4 ohm VC) .88ft^3sealed (single 4 ohm VC) running off a RF Punch 500a2. I believe the single S12D edged it out a tad in SPL but was about the same in SQ. Like I stated earlier this isnt an amazing sub but pretty decent for ebay prices..I would reccomend 2 of these for a lot of SPL and I would put around 800wrms on them. Good subs just not amazing. Drawbacks would be HIGH retail prices, lack of potency for a single sub setup, lack in SQ, the tainted Audiobahn name, and I have heard of some problems with them (however never had a hiccup out of mine) But they do look cool! With RF Punch 500a2: SPL (For daily use) 6 of 10, SQ 6 of 10.

Elemental Designs K-Box - 2.5 cuft, tuned to 33, powered by a JBL 600.1. This is one of the best drivers for the money in my opinion. It's not overwhelming in any one area, but it can do everything you ask of it and more. It gets pretty da*n loud and the SQ is excellent. If you're looking for an SPL beast or a perfect SQ driver, look elsewhere, but if you want something that will do very well in both these areas at a cheap price, you've found it. Plus, they w...ork well in very small boxes. An all-around excellent sub.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D- Box - 1 cuft per sub sealed (I had two of them), powered by a JBL 600.1. This was my first "real" setup, where I decided to spend some actual money on car audio. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with them. SQ wise, they were very good, and took anything I thew at them. However, the SPL was severely lacking. They simply didn't get all that loud. So I borrowed a friends amp (USX 1000d that did 700 @ 2 ohms) to see if it made a difference and the subs blew. I wouldn't recommend them unless you can get them very cheap.

Kicker S12D (2000 model 12") Solo baric single 2 ohm voice coil X2:With each of these in .88ft^3 sealed powered by a RF Power 1050s (525wrms X2 @ 2ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. These subs got pretty darn loud close to my XXX level but not quite. However I found them lacking some SQ for my tastes. They are very potent drivers especially in pairs and IMO are the best subs Kicker has ever made. They get louder then anyone really *needs* for daily use and have decent SQ (definately better then most any other Kicker I can think of). And for the price you can find the occasional factory leftover or refurb ($100-$125 a piece) these subs pack a lot of bang for your buck! They handled the power very well and out preformed any of my setups i had prior to these (not the XXX). If there is a drawback to these woofers it is the lack of SQ and the lack of voice coil options and the fact that they dont make them any longer. So with the RF Power 1050s: SPL (for daily use) 8.5 of 10, SQ 7 of 10.

Kicker Solo Baric S12L7 (Dual 2ohm VC)In 1.5ft^3 sealed powered by the RF Power 1050s (1050wrms X1 @4ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. I feel this sub was still in a bit too small of an enclosure. It got loud, not quite as loud as the 2 S12D's or the XXX but pretty darn loud! However it was lacking quite a bit in the SQ department! I hear thesse subs act much better in LARGE ported enclosures but to me this ruins the Solo Baric reputation of sounding good in small sealed enclosures! If youa re looking for a sub that will wang hard and dont really care about sound quality at Ebay prices this one is hard to beat!! But beware as they like around 1000watts and large enclosures and dont really enjoy sounding all that pleasing! With RF Power 1050s: SPL (for daily use) 8 of 10, SQ 4.5 of 10

Install:2 12l7 dual2ohm 2000 model

In a 3.38cube box tuned to 31hz. In the back of a 87 Jeep Cherokee,facing upwards.Each sub was recieving 500w off a hifonics BX1500d. The subs sounded nice for what they were in. They got very loud and quite deep. The subs lacked the sq when the rapid beats of RATM and some Slayer would play. They did have a nice low tone to them and did get very loud. For the money they are hard to beat for how loud they got. The sub played almost a muddy tone when rapid beats would occur,something I did not care for. I give this sub a 7 of 10 overall rating. They have been proven to take abuse, and sound decent in the right enclosure.

Resonant Engineering 12"XXX:

In 2.7ft^3 after all displacement, slot ported, tuned to 28hz. Powerd first by a Rockford Fosgate Power 1050s (1050wrms X1 @ 4ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. Got loud and sounded just plain awesome but I upgraded to a Hifonics Brutus BX1500 (1500wrms X1 @ 1ohm) Now it gets even louder and still sounds just flat out AWESOME...SPL on this setup is amazing for one 12" sub even though it is tuned low for SQ. But dont let the amazing SPL fool you SQ is downright unbelievable as well! This is truly an SQL sub...Although I would like to try this in a sealed enclosure just to see the SQ and SPL differences I really feel that most anyone would be suprised at the SQ from a ported setup with this sub. I could not imagine the SPL with a bigger/higher tuned ported box! This is my first ported setup and I must say it defnately out preforms all my previous setups hands down in SQ *which suprises me being its ported* and edges them out pretty well in SPL as well! this is simply an amazing driver with HUGE capabilities SQ and SPL wise..For someone looking for either or both this one is top notch! Only real drawback IMO is that this is a power hungry sub, but with todays amp prices this isnt a real issueFor someone looking for either or both this one is top notch! With Hifonics BX1500: SPL (for daily use) 9.5 of 10, SQ 9 of 10

Resonant Engineering 15" XXX- Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the j...ob done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL ), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.

Resonant Engineering 15XXXBox-6cubes after all displacement, tuned to 34hz. 50 inches of port area with 3 braces.Power:1.5kw off a Hifonics BX1500d.I must say I was quite impressed with this sub, as you can tell in my review in the reivew portion of the board. It got so low it was insane. People would ask"How many 15's do you have" instead of "What 15 is that?" The musical reproductions in such a large box were incredible. It got amazingly low and the bass "hits" would just linger around as the airflow would engulf your body in a warm blanket of SPL.The boom would sit around as if waiting there for your pleasure and reassuring you as to the immense power of the sub itself. The excursion was very pleasing and the SPL was downright crazy. It hit 144.5 off an AC(debated as to be uncalibrated by competetors at competition) and I have yet to meter it on my mic. I have given it 2kw for about 2 hrs and it took it with no problem at all. It would get insanly loud and it really isn't possible to describe it. The sq was, in my opinion, outstanding. You could hear all the distinct notes in fast songs by RATM and Rob Zombie. In smaller sealed boxes, 2cu feet to be exact, the sub excelled in SQ beyond belief. If you have ever heard of the band Cannibal Corpse, my friend put in their cd and each distinct beat was audible. I looked back at the sub in disbelief as to how a 15 could reproduce the beat so fast. It was impecable.Needless to say,this is an amazing driver. For SPL and SQL, you can go ported SPL 5-6 cubes, SQL 4-5 cubes, Sealed 2 feet after displacement works great. Remeber to brace your ported boxes because if you don't I garuntee flex will occur.I give this sub a 9.5 out of 10 overall. I hope my review helps in anyone's decision in this sub.

Adire Audio 15" Brahma

- Box - 4.5cu' after all displacement tuned to 38Hz, powered by a Cadence A7hc in the trunk of my 2 door Cavalier. This is the best sub I have ever owned. Hits pretty high SPL while maintaining excellent SQ. I built this set up as SPL/SQ (70/30) and it does a 146 on Linear-X. Kinda on the pricey side but what do you want for something that can do both jobs.

- This one was in 1ft^3 sealed, powered by a Rockforf Fosgate Punch 500a2 (yes this was wired to roughly 1.5 ohms!!!) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. The most impressive part of this setup was the fact the amp ran at 1.5ohms LOL...No seriously, this is a good driver for ebay prices and performs well in sealed enclosures. SPL nor SQ are amazing but both are pretty good. This driver compared very well to my buddies single Kicker Solo baric S12D (single 4 ohm VC) .88ft^3sealed (single 4 ohm VC) running off a RF Punch 500a2. I believe the single S12D edged it out a tad in SPL but was about the same in SQ. Like I stated earlier this isnt an amazing sub but pretty decent for ebay prices..I would reccomend 2 of these for a lot of SPL and I would put around 800wrms on them. Good subs just not amazing. Drawbacks would be HIGH retail prices, lack of potency for a single sub setup, lack in SQ, the tainted Audiobahn name, and I have heard of some problems with them (however never had a hiccup out of mine) But they do look cool! With RF Punch 500a2: SPL (For daily use) 6 of 10, SQ 6 of 10.

Elemental Designs K

- Box - 2.5 cuft, tuned to 33, powered by a JBL 600.1. This is one of the best drivers for the money in my opinion. It's not overwhelming in any one area, but it can do everything you ask of it and more. It gets pretty da*n loud and the SQ is excellent. If you're looking for an SPL beast or a perfect SQ driver, look elsewhere, but if you want something that will do very well in both these areas at a cheap price, you've found it. Plus, they w...ork well in very small boxes. An all-around excellent sub.

Elemental Designs O

- Bought this directly from eD for ~$200 shipped to my doorstep. I placed it into a self-built 1.5 ft^3 box from 3/4" MDF. A Tsunami dB1100D wired to 2ohms for approximately 650 watts RMS is providing the power. I must say, this sub can take everything I throw at it and more. It's durable to say the least. SQ-wise, I love it. The kick drums it puts out are quick and forceful. I really can't ask for anything more in that section. When a song with a dry, soft bass drum comes in, the musical reproduction is great. Long, flowing bass beats as you might find in jazz music are beautifully reproduced, especially into the higher frequencies. Low end: wow. O's go low. Period. Output-wise, it's plenty to make your ears hurt and tickly your nose if you want. For me, this sub is a perfect match. Great value, great looks, great sub.

Image Dynamics IDQ

- Box - 1 cuft per sub sealed (two subs), ran by a JBL 600.1. Overall, a fantastic sub. The SQ is nearly flawless, it reproduced everything you sent to it perfectly. From jazz, to rap, to classic rock, to classical music, it took it all with ease. On the SPL side, it left maybe a little to be desired, but I was still impressed with the output seeing as they have a repuation as being primarily an SQ driver. Great sub.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D- Box - 1 cuft per sub sealed (I had two of them), powered by a JBL 600.1. This was my first "real" setup, where I decided to spend some actual money on car audio. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with them. SQ wise, they were very good, and took anything I thew at them. However, the SPL was severely lacking. They simply didn't get all that loud. So I borrowed a friends amp (USX 1000d that did 700 @ 2 ohms) to see if it made a difference and the subs blew. I wouldn't recommend them unless you can get them very cheap.

Kicker S12D (2000 model 12") Solo baric single 2 ohm voice coil X2:

- With each of these in .88ft^3 sealed powered by a RF Power 1050s (525wrms X2 @ 2ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. These subs got pretty darn loud close to my XXX level but not quite. However I found them lacking some SQ for my tastes. They are very potent drivers especially in pairs and IMO are the best subs Kicker has ever made. They get louder then anyone really *needs* for daily use and have decent SQ (definately better then most any other Kicker I can think of). And for the price you can find the occasional factory leftover or refurb ($100-$125 a piece) these subs pack a lot of bang for your buck! They handled the power very well and out preformed any of my setups i had prior to these (not the XXX). If there is a drawback to these woofers it is the lack of SQ and the lack of voice coil options and the fact that they dont make them any longer. So with the RF Power 1050s: SPL (for daily use) 8.5 of 10, SQ 7 of 10.

Kicker Solo Baric S12L7 (Dual 2ohm VC)

- In 1.5ft^3 sealed powered by the RF Power 1050s (1050wrms X1 @4ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. I feel this sub was still in a bit too small of an enclosure. It got loud, not quite as loud as the 2 S12D's or the XXX but pretty darn loud! However it was lacking quite a bit in the SQ department! I hear thesse subs act much better in LARGE ported enclosures but to me this ruins the Solo Baric reputation of sounding good in small sealed enclosures! If youa re looking for a sub that will wang hard and dont really care about sound quality at Ebay prices this one is hard to beat!! But beware as they like around 1000watts and large enclosures and dont really enjoy sounding all that pleasing! With RF Power 1050s: SPL (for daily use) 8 of 10, SQ 4.5 of 10

- In a 3.38cube box tuned to 31hz. In the back of a 87 Jeep Cherokee,facing upwards.Each sub was recieving 500w off a hifonics BX1500d. The subs sounded nice for what they were in. They got very loud and quite deep. The subs lacked the sq when the rapid beats of RATM and some Slayer would play. They did have a nice low tone to them and did get very loud. For the money they are hard to beat for how loud they got. The sub played almost a muddy tone when rapid beats would occur,something I did not care for. I give this sub a 7 of 10 overall rating. They have been proven to take abuse, and sound decent in the right enclosure.

Resonant Engineering XXX- 15" version, Box - 4.32 cuft after all displacement, tuned to 29hz. In the trunk of my '89 Olds Cutlass Ciera, powered by a Hifonics BX1500D. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with this sub. The first thing that impressed was how lowwwwwwwwwwww it can get, and the ability to not miss a beat. It handled a 10hz-80hz sweep with ease. SPL wise, it's loud. I can't exactly convey how loud it is in words, but my rearview mirror did rattle off. SQ wise, it gets the j...ob done. I'm not going to say it's a flawless SQ driver or anything of the sort, as it's not. It lacks a certain, for lack of a better word, crispness on certain songs. But in the same vein, if I wanted that crispness, I would have bought a different sub. I was looking for an SQL driver (with a healthier dose of SPL ), and this sub delivered everything I wanted.

- 15" version, Box-6cubes after all displacement, tuned to 34hz. 50 inches of port area with 3 braces.Power:1.5kw off a Hifonics BX1500d.I must say I was quite impressed with this sub, as you can tell in my review in the reivew portion of the board. It got so low it was insane. People would ask"How many 15's do you have" instead of "What 15 is that?" The musical reproductions in such a large box were incredible. It got amazingly low and the bass "hits" would just linger around as the airflow would engulf your body in a warm blanket of SPL.The boom would sit around as if waiting there for your pleasure and reassuring you as to the immense power of the sub itself. The excursion was very pleasing and the SPL was downright crazy. It hit 144.5 off an AC(debated as to be uncalibrated by competetors at competition) and I have yet to meter it on my mic. I have given it 2kw for about 2 hrs and it took it with no problem at all. It would get insanly loud and it really isn't possible to describe it. The sq was, in my opinion, outstanding. You could hear all the distinct notes in fast songs by RATM and Rob Zombie. In smaller sealed boxes, 2cu feet to be exact, the sub excelled in SQ beyond belief. If you have ever heard of the band Cannibal Corpse, my friend put in their cd and each distinct beat was audible. I looked back at the sub in disbelief as to how a 15 could reproduce the beat so fast. It was impecable.Needless to say,this is an amazing driver. For SPL and SQL, you can go ported SPL 5-6 cubes, SQL 4-5 cubes, Sealed 2 feet after displacement works great. Remeber to brace your ported boxes because if you don't I garuntee flex will occur.I give this sub a 9.5 out of 10 overall. I hope my review helps in anyone's decision in this sub.

- 12" version, In 2.7ft^3 after all displacement, slot ported, tuned to 28hz. Powerd first by a Rockford Fosgate Power 1050s (1050wrms X1 @ 4ohms) In trunk of 1989 olds cutlass supreme. Got loud and sounded just plain awesome but I upgraded to a Hifonics Brutus BX1500 (1500wrms X1 @ 1ohm) Now it gets even louder and still sounds just flat out AWESOME...SPL on this setup is amazing for one 12" sub even though it is tuned low for SQ. But dont let the amazing SPL fool you SQ is downright unbelievable as well! This is truly an SQL sub...Although I would like to try this in a sealed enclosure just to see the SQ and SPL differences I really feel that most anyone would be suprised at the SQ from a ported setup with this sub. I could not imagine the SPL with a bigger/higher tuned ported box! This is my first ported setup and I must say it defnately out preforms all my previous setups hands down in SQ *which suprises me being its ported* and edges them out pretty well in SPL as well! this is simply an amazing driver with HUGE capabilities SQ and SPL wise..For someone looking for either or both this one is top notch! Only real drawback IMO is that this is a power hungry sub, but with todays amp prices this isnt a real issueFor someone looking for either or both this one is top notch! With Hifonics BX1500: SPL (for daily use) 9.5 of 10, SQ 9 of 10

ATTN:

Since the forum decided to be gay and have a limit for how long each message can be, just add all your reviews indivudally, don't worry about quoting the post above you, as you'll wind up trying to quote like 3 different posts and it will just become a pain. When we get a bunch of them and get as many subs covered as possible, I'll organize it all and make a new thread for them.

Keep 'em comin! :thumbsup

Audiobahn ALUM10Q

2 audiobahn Alum10q in a 1.7 cu ft ported enclosure( tuned to ?) powered by a JBL BP1200.1. 600rms to each sub. 3ohm parallel. These subs are great for 10's. 2 of these will definalty cause things to rattle in your car. Definatly n SQL driver. I prefer these over the alum 12's. Hit low frequincies like a 12. HITS HARD. The Sq is very good, provided u put them in a good enclosure. Audiobahn surprised me with this one. Great price.

Orion Hcca gen. 1

I had this sub two years ago hooked to a JL 500.1. This sub takes every single bit of power it can get and turns it to heavy poundin bass. Its a little bit on the slower side in terms of response. But i loved the Hcca. lacks in sq, but not to the extent that you would notice it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.