Expanding our Horizons! :)

TwiztedEng

Mobile Electronics Shop
Hello to everyone on these forums! I own Twizted Engineering in Broomfield, CO and although I have been a car audio installer in the past (years ago...) I currently do not do that at my shop. This bugs me and I miss it, so I am expanding my current Automotive Customizing shop to include car audio. I am an electro-mechanical engineer, so this type of stuff intrigues me to no end. I have recently been getting the "itch" so to speak, and am heading down to the CES tradeshow this weekend to check out what's new in town (been almost 6 years since I've done any serious installs!) I am currently gathering orders on JL Audio products to meet a major buy-in so that I will be able to buy direct from JL - and will be attending an invite-only Rockford Fosgate showing to see about getting their products into the shop as well. Now for the big questions...

1.) What other brands/products do you think are worth the money? (I'd rather get set up with Quality products, not just stuff that's cheap.)

2.) What brands of h/u is everyone running these days - which ones are good for SQ, which ones have all the gizmos, and which ones are just a good bang for the buck?

3.) Do you think that Installing Car Alarms / Remote Starts is absolutely necessary at an Audio shop?

4.) I'm highly interested in the In-Car PC systems, and want to know everyone's take on them - are you guys putting them in yet, and how well is the technology coming along? If you think there is a demand for this, what products have you used and had work well?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give. I'm an honest worker and would really like to get started with the types of products people really want! If I can make my customers happy with their cars, then it's all worth it!

-Darren

there are alot of threads like this on here.

jl is a waste of money. its way too over priced

if you want good brands id look into sundown,aq,dd,re and such

and yes car alarms and remote starters get alot of buss at a car audio shop

there are alot of threads like this on here.
jl is a waste of money. its way too over priced

if you want good brands id look into sundown,aq,dd,re and such

and yes car alarms and remote starters get alot of buss at a car audio shop
Manny,

Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm still not going to shy away from JL - from what I've heard of their new line, they seem to be a decent speaker for the money. I'll definitely put AudioQue, Sundown, Digital Designs, and RE Audio onto my list of vendors to visit at CES! (I hope those are the companies you meant!).

Anyone else have some thoughts? I'd really appreciate hearing from you!!

-Darren

If I recall correctly, AQ doesn't have any dealers, only online thru them. If you're going to CES, look into the new Phoenix Gold and PPI stuff.

maxxsonics

talk to Mike Stiers tell him I sent you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

or I can just be your distributor if you are interested in that route then there is no buy in ect....

i just dump maxxsonics...aq is internet only....dc audio is a great co...sundown is great co too. ppi i would look at now they are owned by same co as soundstream. mtx is my next brand that will be in my shop. then soundstream. good luck...sounded like ces was ganna be kinda dead this year.....hope not

shops around here do a TON or remstarts. Def gotta install those
Yeah, that's what I kinda figured. 7-8 years ago when I was doing them, the integration into the newer vehicles ****** donkey balls to put it lightly. I certainly hope that the newer technology is better! I really am not looking forward to the Alarm/Remstart installs, but like you said, it's probably inevitable. Hopefully I am surprised by the new stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If I recall correctly, AQ doesn't have any dealers, only online thru them. If you're going to CES, look into the new Phoenix Gold and PPI stuff.
Those companies were already on my list! They've been around for a long while now, and I've definitely used them in the past. I'll certainly check 'em out!

maxxsonicstalk to Mike Stiers tell him I sent you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

or I can just be your distributor if you are interested in that route then there is no buy in ect....
Well, I'll certainly look for Mike at CES - I honestly haven't even heard of Maxxsonics b4, are they a newer company? What do you like about them?

*EDIT* Okay, I'm feelin' a bit dumb now - Maxxsonics - got it! Didn't think of them as a parent company! *

i just dump maxxsonics...aq is internet only....dc audio is a great co...sundown is great co too. ppi i would look at now they are owned by same co as soundstream. mtx is my next brand that will be in my shop. then soundstream. good luck...sounded like ces was ganna be kinda dead this year.....hope not
...and if you don't mind telling me, why did you dump Maxxsonics? - Product issues or service issues? MTX used to be popular years ago, and I never really cared too much for them - but I'm definitely going to check them out now, as a LOT has changed!!! I've heard the same thing about CES this year too - I'm stoked about going, I just hope that all the Manufacturers actually show this year!

-Keep the good advice coming my way!! It's much appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

-Darren

Besides being a Dealer for internet based companies, i strongly recommend having some mainstream names as well from a purely business point of view. Few people will stop by for a name not known to them. Will broaden the amount of customers.

That being said; Kenwood HU's are a good buy, though i shy away from their speakers.

Also Eclipse and Clarion make solid HU's and amps.

Diamond Audio is becoming more and more well known, and has good, quailty products in their full spectrum of equipment.

Hope it helps.

As previously stated go for all the mainstream brands the are good sellers. JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Memphis, Planet Audio, Pioneer, Eclipse, Kenwood, and DB Drive. Alarm's are almost a necessity these days. May I suggest once you start doing it offer up a package deal for people interested. Have a package deal with a full system and alarm and offer it at a discounted price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

TwiztedEng

Mobile Electronics Shop
TwiztedEng
Broomfield, CO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from