Filling in panels with foam...

So what are my options? I added deadener since that pic was taken and it still flexes like crazy.
try concrete, or less bass. Seriously though, some amount of flex is gonna be normal and hard to get rid of without going to extreme measures. If you have no plans to compete then you could try using better deadener and using multiple layers of it, along with some expanding foam. Putting the expanding foam inside the small holes of the bracing isn't going to do much at all, if anything. That should be the one place where there is no flexing. All your flex should be in the middle of the panels, and if you can get inside them with the expanding foam it should help. But be careful not to use too much, that stuff will cause panels to buckle and actually break away from the frame.

No Im not competeing but that particular panel rattles like crazy, and that was when I had some crappy CVR 12s.

I dont think you can get much better than SS Damplifier. I'll add some more to see if it helps any. That sheet metal is just really thin.

If you don't think expanding foam will hold two flexible sheets of metal together and dampen them from resonating I have a few example AHU's sitting 20' away that you can hit with a sledge hammer. If you get anything more than a thud I'll pay for your gas an buy you a beer.

If you're wrong you gotta replace the one you just scratched. GL with that.

Now, in a car it's probably going to be slightly less effective unless you hate rolling down your windows.

ive got 4 cans of greatstuff, the big gap foam (the most expansion one) in my trunk lid alone, **** is pretty god **** solid.. although it did expand into my keyhole so now thats full of it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif so cant even put the key in there no more, i forgot to remove that when i did it, but oh well.. never used it nor will i anyways..

try doing a full layer of the damp pro, we did a double layer in a 97 Z71 and it eliminated almost all the vibrations on the back of the cab. Single DD 9518 with an AQ3500.

I spray-foamed my trunk and saw a pretty significant difference in rattles

Expanding foam will hold the panels that are rattling away from each other but it is a mess to work with and there's no turning back - once it is in there, it is in there for good. I've used it many times myself. You are correct that you want to use the polyurethane version, not the latex minimally expanding stuff. You want to be absolutely certain that you don't put it anywhere that will ever need maintenance or near any moving parts.

Depending on exactly what is rattling, you may not need it. If you can get to the source of the rattles, a little bit of RTV silicone between the two parts may work just as well.

My jeep is pretty much one big beer cooler now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

on another note...there is this one guy I used to compete with whom asked me my opinion on using expanding foam in his tahoe.... I said, "yeah man, fill your rear door with it but used it liberally." He bought the 3x expanding ****, filled his rear door and it expanded so much it got into the door lock mechanisms...I went over to his house and sure enough, he had gone overboard with the foam and it was hanging out of his roof, breaking spot welds....and couldnt open his rear door anymore. I LOL'ed so hard when he was sitting there with a screw driver trying to dig it out of the door mechs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Well, Im gonna put everything back togethor and I'll see how everything goes. If it rattles too bad, then I'll take the back carpet off and put some in there. Hopefully I'll be OK. Gonna go and get working on my truck now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.