First box build..

Sinister_kid
10+ year member

Just threw a box together for my buddy who is getting a 12" type-r. He knows nothing about systems so i pretty much did all the work, planning, fabbing, and will be doing installing etc.

This is my first ported box.. 2nd box in general. Constructive C&C is welcome, but don't be too harsh.

Specs:

1.778^3 before sub

1.707^3 after sub displacement

Port tuned to 40hz

Sub will be firing from the front and port out the back end of the top plate.

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

supplies.

DSC_0113.jpg

Design

DSC_0115.jpg

This is the top of the box.. the terminal cup is on the lower back side.

Once my buddy gets the sub with the cut template i will be cutting out the sub hole.. putting the wires in.. and sanding the box down.

Just threw a box together for my buddy who is getting a 12" type-r. He knows nothing about systems so i pretty much did all the work, planning, fabbing, and will be doing installing etc.
This is my first ported box.. 2nd box in general. Constructive C&C is welcome, but don't be too harsh.

Specs:

1.778^3 before sub

1.707^3 after sub displacement

Port tuned to 40hz

Sub will be firing from the front and port out the back end of the top plate.

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

supplies.

DSC_0113.jpg

Design

DSC_0115.jpg

This is the top of the box.. the terminal cup is on the lower back side.

Once my buddy gets the sub with the cut template i will be cutting out the sub hole.. putting the wires in.. and sanding the box down.
I have wondered this for a while but never asked, why paint the inside black?

You don't have to paint the WHOLE inside of the box black. It's just so the port ends up being black. It's impossible to get an even coat of paint on all the port walls with the sides, bottom, and top on the box so you paint before you assemble it. My question is if that is enough port area for that sub/box volume. Looks a tad small... and I'm also curious, why such a high tuning for a daily setup?

You don't have to paint the WHOLE inside of the box black. It's just so the port ends up being black. It's impossible to get an even coat of paint on all the port walls with the sides, bottom, and top on the box so you paint before you assemble it. My question is if that is enough port area for that sub/box volume. Looks a tad small... and I'm also curious, why such a high tuning for a daily setup?
I am actually going to end up painting the entire outside of the box black here in a few weeks, then we are going to have a friend, who is amazing at drawing tribal designs and such, draw all over the entire box with silver sharpie, we think it will look pretty cool.

As for the port, i just threw lengths into the RE box calculator and that's the hz that it popped out so i just went with it as im not getting anything out of this box and my buddy doesn't really care just wants it to be loud, hence the ported design. But also because i don't really know much about building boxes quite yet, but looking to learn.

Well, the box is already built, so I guess there is no sense arguing now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif but just because the tuning frequency came out correct doesn't mean the port dimensions are correct. I could make a box tuned to 25Hz with a short, tiny little port. Doesn't mean the port won't be holding the sub back and be subject to port noise. If at all possible, I would borrow a router if you don't have one and roundover the port exit. It might help a bit.

Typical rule of thumb is 12-16 square inches of port area per cubic foot of net volume. So for something that is just short of 2 cubic feet, you'd want somewhere around at least 25 square inches of port. What is the width and height of that port? Just curious.

Yeah that comes out to just under 18 sq in of port area which is still below what I would consider the bare minimum atleast in my opinion. Let us know how it sounds and if at all possible round the port exit a bit because that should help to atleast reduce some of the turbulence.

Yeah that comes out to just under 18 sq in of port area which is still below what I would consider the bare minimum atleast in my opinion. Let us know how it sounds and if at all possible round the port exit a bit because that should help to atleast reduce some of the turbulence.
Alright, thanks for all the insight! I will let you know how it goes.

Few pointers:

Paint after you assemble the box, or at least tape off where you're going to be gluing. Wood glue won't stick to paint. By just painting the whole area, you're decreasing the strength of the bond.

Like others have said, I would also recommend 12-15 square inches of port per cubic foot. In this instance, about 25 square inches would have been good.

Overall, looks really good. Better than my first boxes ever did //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Keep up the good work, bud.

Thanks for all the replies and pointers guys! Kid's been a real doucher lately, plus his head gasket blew so he won't be buying a sub anytime soon which in turn means no sanding/finishing of the box.

Thanks for the comments about the box guys! Feels good to know the box is of decent/good quality as a first box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.