Focus Tweeter Pods - Worklog - PICS!

Pull9Gs
10+ year member

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!
England
Finally got round to doing the tweeter pods for my Ford Focus properly after the first attempt with filler only.

Removing filler:

DSC00043.jpg

Filler removed. Back to mirror casings with laser cut MDF rings supported with matches:

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

As I didnt have any proper fleece and didnt want to go out and buy some especially as I didnt need a huge amount i looked round the house for something. Ended up using socks as they were nice and stretchy and so easy to get the right shape.

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

After first layer of resin:

DSC00046.jpg

Drivers side casing contains a joystick for moving the electric mirrors. Pulled material down into hole using some cotton through it:

DSC00049.jpg

Joystick:

DSC00050.jpg

To ensure area around joystick was flat a lid was taped on to hold the cloth against the plastic of the mirror casing.

DSC00054.jpg

Sorry about quality of pics, taken on phone.

Going to put more layers or resin on now...

How many do you reckon I will need?

Leo

in such a small project i would say two layers of fiberglass will do, but once they dry. you should push on the surface with your finger, if it budges add 2 more layers to make it stiffer.

looking good. so far.

laters

Got 3 layers on them now.

Havent been putting glass on, just the resin.

Im thinking one more will do. 4 layers or resin enough???

I sanded them down after the first 2 layers and got them nearly perfectly smooth. Going to sand down again and put another layer on tonight and then hopefully tomorrow I will sand them down completely and they will be flat enough to paint without any filler. We'll see though...

Thoughts?

thats cool. I used to have a focus.

For that tweeter pod just cut real thin strips of fiberglass cloth, dip them in the resin and brush them on the pod just like paper mache. The resin alone doesnt provide strength.

I could show you an easy way to do bolt in glass pods for the grill sections of your doors if you ever want to do them.

Going to sand them down tonight and hopefully get them flat enough for paint.

Will update tomorrow evening with some good quality pics.

Leo

UPDATE:

Drivers side pod after rough sanding of 4th layer of resin:

IMG_1092.jpg

Passenger side pod after final 4th coat resin sanding, ready for paint:

IMG_1089.jpg

Another view:

IMG_1091.jpg

After final coat of paint. After doing 2 coats I decided the finish wasn’t flat enough and so sanded right back down to the resin and made it flatter. The paint was helpful as it showed the low spots up. The photo below is after 4 coats with a light sand after the 3rd coat:

IMG_1102.jpg

And with tweeter housing in place. These push fit inside the rings as are tapered and the rings were laser cut to the exact size needed for them to be a push fit, i had four attempts!

IMG_1097.jpg

And without the flash if its easier to see:

IMG_1098.jpg

View of the back. Plastic original pod cut out to allow tweeter to protrude through:

IMG_1105.jpg

And with tweeter housing installed (note small holes to allow filler to grip into pod on first attempts):

IMG_1101.jpg

Will get more photos up as I progress, not much further to go now.

These will be finished by the end of Monday and installed as I am going away if you are wanting to check back.

Better quality pics this time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Comments?

Cheers, Leo

That paint looks familiar.. is it called graphite? Thats a lot like duplicolor's wheel paint color graphite, which im doing my tweet pods and many plastic pieces in my interior with. A+++ for you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.