four cylinder towncar?

somekook
10+ year member

only 15"s
i was thinking about buyin a cheap old lincoln town car with about a million miles on it and pullin out the v8 and putting in a 4 cylinder. you guys think it would move? hahah i know it would at best be extremely slow but im fine with that.... just wondering if you think it would move. if not, ill put in a 6.

slow a fuker, i have a 00 neon with a v4 on it and it doesnt even peel out
its not a v4 dude. its a horizontally mounted inline 4 banger.

you could put a 2.3 ford motor in it. it could even be done with mostly off the shelf /junkyard parts. why someone would attempt it i could never know. the motor would be pulling such a load it wouldnt last long. the gas milage would probably **** too because you would have it floored all the time just to move that shaggin wagon.

its not a v4 dude. its a horizontally mounted inline 4 banger.
you could put a 2.3 ford motor in it. it could even be done with mostly off the shelf /junkyard parts. why someone would attempt it i could never know. the motor would be pulling such a load it wouldnt last long. the gas milage would probably **** too because you would have it floored all the time just to move that shaggin wagon.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

lol, I didnt even catch that "v4"....

The Hemi engines have a feature on them that shuts off 4 of the cylinders during cruise mode to save gas milage. During heavy acceleration it starts all 8 of them again though...

So 4 cylinders in a big car really is only practical when you've already gained momentum. You'd have old grannies flyin by you when the light turns green with only 4.

a 4 banger in a towncar would **** the gas. think about how tight you would have to wind it to get the car off the line. take this for example, my buddy had a s10 single cab with a 4 banger. now he has a s10 extended cab with a v6 and he gets way better gas milage than he did with the v4.

Technically, you could easily get better fuel economy with a smaller engine considering:
MPG = (MPH/3600)/((CC*(RPM/240)*(1-((AFR/AIR)/((AFR/AIR)+(1/(FUEL*1.25))))))/(3785.411784))

MPG = Miles Per Gallon

MPH = Speed in MPH

CC = Engine displacement in cubic centimeters

AFR = Air:Fuel Ratio by mass (throttle input)

AIR = Air Density in kilograms per cubic meter

FUEL = Fuel density in grams per liter

However, to attain the same acceleration, you'd most likely have to increase engine speed and throttle input considerably.

Yes, normally Smaller Enginer = Better Fuel Economy, but when you are using a TINY i4 to push a 3500lb car, it gets a little impracticle. He would easily have to have the pedal to the floor to get that car moving. My moms old Saturn had an i4 and you had to give it about half throttle for it to move with the rest of the cars at a red light.

Should you do it? No. Nothing will be gained from doing it. V6? Maybe. It is still a stretch, but it would be more practicle than an i4. Even an i6 would be more practicle than the i4, and an i6 would be horrible on gas, but would get you moving pretty nicely.

explain how an i6 would be better off the line than a v6?

I never said it would be better off the line, I just said that (AND a V6) would be better than an i4, I never said anything about the i6 being better than the v6...

And Jmac... an i4 is just retarded to do, no matter how careless you are of speed.

an i6 just might be faster off the line than a v6. i6's are known for making awsome torque.

i wont go into what i6 and what v6 cause someone will attempt to shoot it down anyway.

I'm not saying I'd recommend it, but saying **** like, "you'd need to have the pedal to the floor to move it" is retarded ...
not really because if you intend to be on the street or highway WITH other cars, you will have to floor it just to effectively go with the traffic.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.