funky amp problems.

wishuponansg
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
okay, so i have a pretty bottom line amp to begin with. its a power acoustik ps1-5500 'rated' at 3200 watts at 1 ohm (LOFL).

i have it wired down to 1 ohm, and my HDC3 15 just kinda laughs at it, but w/e it was cheap and gets/got the job done. now to the problem: the amp is all of the sudden extremely loud, and i have to completely reset my gains and such everytime it gets loud. it will switch between extrememly loud and normal, sometimes while driving. The amp has held up for about a month, and honestly, sounded quite nice, and was pretty loud (a decent amount of windshield flex).

any ideas whats wrong with it? is it worth getting fixed?

EDIT: forgot to mention, when the sub gets extremely loud, it also sounds extremely muddy, and doesnt play very many upper bass notes.

Possibly the alternator decided to charge? Does it do it when the car is in idle/not running? An extra voltage boost will change the power considerably.

Possibly a RCA issue?

the RCA's are in a pretty tight fit right now, could be that.
most likely //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if they are pinched, or have an ackward bend in them, or torn, etc etc, that is most likely the culprit.

have any extra sets of RCAs? run a set straight from the HU to the amp, test it out, and if it works correctly then, chances are the other RCA is pinched/bad

most likely //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
if they are pinched, or have an ackward bend in them, or torn, etc etc, that is most likely the culprit.

have any extra sets of RCAs? run a set straight from the HU to the amp, test it out, and if it works correctly then, chances are the other RCA is pinched/bad
ill check it out, thats probably it. the amps i have are both screwed to the back of my box, with one of those amps being 18 inches long and the other around 14 or so. the back of my box is around 34 inches, so its a tight fit.

check the rca's and also the rca inputs of the amp. could have a broken/loose solder in there which more than likely was caused from mounting your amps to your box. not a good idea to mount amps to your sub box.

check the rca's and also the rca inputs of the amp. could have a broken/loose solder in there which more than likely was caused from mounting your amps to your box. not a good idea to mount amps to your sub box.
yeah, i hate to do it, but my box takes up my entire trunk, i really need to mount it somewhere else.

one amp is for the highs, and the other is for the lows.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.